Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-17-2012
Can't re-member

Default Latest upgrade project

Some of you who know me well know that I really enjoy doing little upgrade projects to my bird, much more so than just fixing it. Well I am here to announce my latest "Binford" upgrade. Ed Wimberly was kind enough a couple of years ago to sell me (for a really good price, thanks Ed) an M-450 transmission cooler that he picked up at the factory auction. Now what in the world would John want with that, it won't fit an FC. Now it does. This beast is about 5' long and around 6" x 8". ( I don't have the exact measurements here at work). I installed it lengthwise along the right frame rail directly behind the propane tank. I made a really nice mounting fixture (welded angle mostly) that allows it to mount snuggly in place followed by bolting in. Unfortunately I somehow deleted all "before" pictures when I down loaded them. I have yet to figure out how I did that. Anyhow, I had a fellow who owns a local hose place make up some Aeroquip hydraulic hoses ($$$ ouch) similar to what he makes for tractors and other busses. I do have one picture of them installed.
One of my objectives, besides liking to tinker, was to remove the transmission cooling off of the main radiator. My theory is that from experience, its the transmission that in hot weather causes me to have to engage the engine fan so often in stop and go city traffic. Anyone with an 3208 NA knows what that does to power. Just throw out the anchor instead. I know from previous threads that there are a couple of camps on the subject of keeping the transmission cooling in the radiator or not. No interest in continuing that debate. I will say however that I drilled and tapped in a place for a temp probe in the output side of the cooler. On my first test drive (about 45 miles) my engine radiator did stay (average) cooler especially in stop and go traffic (weather upper 80's). My transmission temps hovered around 200 to 205 the entire time. No transmission cooler fan is required in my opinion, too much surface area to radiate heat to need one.
I will post the one picture showing the hose connections. However an "as installed" picture would not show much as you can now only see the back side of the cooler which is a large metal plate with 10 SS bolts in it. The cooler openings are on top and bottom which for the most part can't be easily (at least with a camera) be seen. There is sufficient air flow around it however. Enjoy the pic, get a few chuckles and feel free to crawl under the bus at the rally if you are real curious.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission cooler.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	18338  

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 09-17-2012
Gardner

John,
I know of a couple of hills in Idaho you can test it on, or perhaps Crater Lake North Entrance. When the outside temps near 100 going 25 mph uphill there isn't much air passing under the coach except the hot air from the radiator. Time will tell.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-17-2012
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
John,
I know of a couple of hills in Idaho you can test it on, or perhaps Crater Lake North Entrance. When the outside temps near 100 going 25 mph uphill there isn't much air passing under the coach except the hot air from the radiator. Time will tell.
Luckily my old bird will likely never see those hills, at least during my ownership. If it ever turns out that supplemental airflow is needed it will be real easy to add a small automotive fan to help move the hot air on out......

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 09-17-2012

John could take a little trip up look out moutain he's not far from there.
Old 09-17-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

John, might consider routing the fluid first to the new cooler, then through the radiator cooler. We did that with the coolers on our trash trucks to get the heat up in the winter.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 09-18-2012
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

That would be my only conern, running the tranny out of temp range during the winter. Keep an eye on your tranny temps in the winter. If you run the tranny too cool it is not good. How will you elevate the temps in that scenario?
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 09-18-2012
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
That would be my only conern, running the tranny out of temp range during the winter. Keep an eye on your tranny temps in the winter. If you run the tranny too cool it is not good. How will you elevate the temps in that scenario?
Since I still work full time we rarely travel during the winter and even then, Georgia temperatures are pretty mild. If it were a real concern it could easily be covered on both sides, stopping air flow. For the most part I don't think the southeast has cold enough temperatures to be of concern. For me, if its that cold, I'm at home in front of the fireplace.....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA