Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-02-2008

Default Coolant loss

This concerns my PT 36. (I will have to change my signature information as soon as the FC gets to its new home). I am needing to add coolant. A week or so ago I decided to check the fluids. I found that although there was antifreeze at the sight class I could not feel it at the fill cap above. It took about a gallon and a half to get it full enough that I could put a finger in and feel the water. Drove the bus about 600 miles and checked again and again needed to add over a gallon to get it up to the point that I could feel it with my finger. Now this is with the engine stone cold. I realize that some room for expansion is needed but how full is full enough and do you think I have a problem? There has been no evidence of the engine running hot and I have not notice antifreeze leaks. I have been running the heaters and all seems fine with the exception that antifreeze is down. It may be purely being pushed out due to expansion but what should I do to check this? Do I get some one to pressure check the system or what would you fellows suggest with this one. Just entirely new to the PT and the Detroit. Oil consumption is less then the 3208 but I never had to add antifreeze to the Napper. Maybe its normal but if not what do I need to have checked. Thanks as per usual. JEH

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-02-2008
Forum owner

as long as you can see it in the glass i would not be worried.
it may just be seeking its happy level and you keep adjusting it!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-02-2008

My manual states to fill the reservoir about one inch above the site glass. It you fill it to the top it is probably going out the overflow tube. My tube is in front of the road side area of the rear bumper.
If that is not the problem you could have a slight leak somewhere that is evaporating before it hits the ground. I had a water pump seal leaking out the drain hole. Never did see any antifreeze until one day the alarm went off and I finally found the problem.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 12-02-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
as long as you can see it in the glass i would not be worried.
it may just be seeking its happy level and you keep adjusting it!
I can't remember if it is on the Detroit's or other engines, that the sight glass will get a coating on the inside that will make it look like the coolant is up to the glass, when in fact it isn't and the sight glass needs to be cleaned, or am I thinking of something else?

I thought that I could smell something burning...............it was only me thinking again

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-02-2008
Forum owner

your so right John,the glass will get dirty,and it just un-screws,be sure that you replace the o-ring when you change it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-02-2008

Default Anti-Freeze Loss

FYI: The P.O. of my bird, a resourceful old farmer/trucker told me about the sight glass and the difficulty of checking coolant. He made, and I still have it a "Home-Made" dipstick crafted from an old fashioned wooden yardstick, the kind they give away at Ace Hardware. He filled the bird with coolant to the proper level, put the yardstick in the filler as far as it would go, pulled it out, checked the point where the coolant showed on the yardstick and then put a magic marker line at that point.

Very low tech, good old fashioned rural American skill and it works.