Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-03-2015

Default Airbag Adjustment

Thanks Randy, that is very helpful.

Don't worry, I have 22 ton jack stands that I will set out and adjust as I do the other adjustments.

By the way, everyone comments on the pit you have at your place. Could you provide some details on what the dimensions are, how it was constructed, etc.? I'm going to put one in later this summer and... well... if you can save me some thinking so much the better!

Best Regards,

Steve
Old 06-04-2015

Does dumping the tag axle prior to trying to leveling the bus apply to the older mid 80's PT's as well? Am replacing all 3 HCV's as well-seems like some of the new leveler valves I found had a 6 second delay before they would "adjust" - like Gardener spoke of and others did not. Since I had two Neways in the parts bin I assumed they had that feature and bought a new one that was similar from Haldex.
Kansas, Il
Old 06-04-2015
95 WB 42

Ed
On our 82 PT we always dump the tag first then main, raise the main first then the tag. Don't want weight of rear on tag only. Not sure about the delay valves mine seem to respond quickly but seem to add or dump air very slowly some sort of metering going on. I think both will work even though they operate differently.
We must start front jacks down before we dump air because front HWH jacks can't swing down if coach is in down position (dumped)

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 06-04-2015
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
Ed
On our 82 PT we always dump the tag first then main, raise the main first then the tag. Don't want weight of rear on tag only. Not sure about the delay valves mine seem to respond quickly but seem to add or dump air very slowly some sort of metering going on. I think both will work even though they operate differently.
We must start front jacks down before we dump air because front HWH jacks can't swing down if coach is in down position (dumped)
I always like to swing the jacks down and contact the ground before dumping the air bags. I do have the same issue as Ed as well. As has been mentioned before, the leveling jacks take a lot of power from the batteries. Why suck all that power from the batteries lifting the coach just before you shut down for the night?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-04-2015
95 WB 42

Steve
Randy is in a no internet zone so I'll answer.LOL
Randy's pit in Archer Fl was 6' deep 20' long not sure about width.
My pit is 40' long 4' 6" wide and 4' 6" deep I am 5' 9" short the 4' 6" works better for me sometimes I use a pallet to stand on for the higher items under the coach.
In a do-over I would only go 42" wide and increase length to 50' .40' works for our 35PT but needs to be longer for the M450 this would allow full access without moving coach forward or back over pit. My pit is inside shop no problem with rain filling or to many "DOGS"
Did have Rick & Marilyn's little Sammy jump in and our Harley-Dog make the leap in,thankfully neither was hurt. Hope this helps call if you want more details.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 06-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
Ed
Same for our '87 PT38.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-05-2015

Ed,

All I can say is WOW a pit that big and inside as well. I have to drastically alter my thinking on what the best way to approach this might be.

I have the Bird under a large carport kind of shelter with a gravel bed. I will probably need a drain system for mine and a much larger magnitude effort to even approach what you've got, thats for sure!

Thanks for your response!

Steve
Old 06-05-2015
Administrator

Steve there are several threads on pit building try a forum search
Old 06-05-2015
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skling View Post
Ed,

All I can say is WOW a pit that big and inside as well. I have to drastically alter my thinking on what the best way to approach this might be.

I have the Bird under a large carport kind of shelter with a gravel bed. I will probably need a drain system for mine and a much larger magnitude effort to even approach what you've got, thats for sure!

Thanks for your response!

Steve
A pit is a big undertaking and it won't be cheap. Nice to have, but I'd bet unless you are way of the grid, California EPA, Building department, etc. will make it impossible. Then again, I know of someone in the landscaping business who called it a mixing pit for top soil
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-05-2015

Yes Ed, you are so right and layered ON TOP of all the California rigamarole you mentioned is... Santa Cruz County, known throughout California as having the most onerous building requirements and the worst bureaucracy with which to work.

We were contemplating building a house on bare land 10 years ago and on three separate occasions when visiting the planning department I got behind men who were openly crying in frustration at the planning desk!

I think if I do the pit it will be for "manure mixing".

Thanks,

Steve