Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

I was going to use one of these to isolate the engine coolant from the heating loop:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZMZVK7...v_ov_lig_dp_it

You can get it in different btu ratings.

I want to keep the engine coolant in a short loop that I can easily monitor, so I do not have to worry about leaks of engine coolant.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 3 Weeks Ago

In my case the chassis heater loop goes right by where the new heater will be mounted, so it's only a few feet of hose and a couple manual valves. With two loops you'll have to run two circulation pumps, too. I just want to be able to cut the engine out so I'm not warming it up when I don't have to.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
In my case the chassis heater loop goes right by where the new heater will be mounted, so it's only a few feet of hose and a couple manual valves. With two loops you'll have to run two circulation pumps, too. I just want to be able to cut the engine out so I'm not warming it up when I don't have to.
Yes, I will have two seperate systems and pumps. But they will only run while driving or parked, so I will have the alternator charging or be plugged in to keep the batteries up. I will be able to also use the heating loop to heat the engine coolant while parked by turning on that pump. Have to check my water heater to see if it has a coolant loop in it. The old system had 2 pumps for some reason, I have wanted to go through the drawings to see what the two original pumps were for.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

I am watching to see what you guys do,i have many options for my 71 project bus,but i am undecided at this time.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Good thing you tested the temp!
What would you use to dampen the rumble? rubber isolated mounting studs? I've used those for mounting radiators and heat exchangers in past hot rods.
Or something more sophisticated like a closed loop vibration canceling system??

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
Yes, I will have two seperate systems and pumps. But they will only run while driving or parked, so I will have the alternator charging or be plugged in to keep the batteries up. I will be able to also use the heating loop to heat the engine coolant while parked by turning on that pump. Have to check my water heater to see if it has a coolant loop in it. The old system had 2 pumps for some reason, I have wanted to go through the drawings to see what the two original pumps were for.
One pump is for the front heat and the other one is for all the others. That's what the drawings I found all show for PT's, and that's how mine is plumbed. The HWH loop would have had water flow without a pump turned on if the engine was running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I am watching to see what you guys do,i have many options for my 71 project bus,but i am undecided at this time.
Are you going somewhere cold with it or would it be for hot water? Or both? The Cummins will start great in the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Good thing you tested the temp!
What would you use to dampen the rumble? rubber isolated mounting studs? I've used those for mounting radiators and heat exchangers in past hot rods.
Or something more sophisticated like a closed loop vibration canceling system??
The rumble isn't bad, it was just exhaust noise. It sounds like one of those big turkey fryer burners turned all the way up. It's not annoying at all and the unit itself doesn't have much vibration going on. I am going to test a couple of muffler options and see how much restriction it can handle. The exhaust is about 2" so it's really low frequency. The only high freq sound coming out of it is a little tick from the fuel injector pump thing, but it's way, way quieter than all the other ones I've heard. Some of those other ones all you hear is the pump clanging away, but this one is not like that. It makes a good whine when it's firing up, but that's it. I wish it had a way to modulate the fuel flow instead of just on/off. I'll probably isolate it with those rubber stud things first and see how it does.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

I may go where its cold,you just never know!
I have an Oasis like the 380s use (newer style though) and an aquahot ,but i may just put in something else,you never know..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Black Sheep Division

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I do not have any heat tapes anywhere, but I might do a small forced-air unit in a couple spots if need be to circulate warm interior air.

Andy, mine has a couple of electric heaters on adjustable thermostats behind the peg board under the kitchen sink and another one under the bath vanity. My '82 PT40 had them as well. I would think yours has them unless someone removed them.

They are hidden pretty good and easy to miss until you are parked somewhere real cold and nothing in the bus is running.

The first time my cut on I though I had a real small water leak under the sink. It was just enough noise to worry me until I took every thing apart. Of course, once I removed the drawers and pegboard and whatever, the area warmed up, satisfied the stat, and the noise vanished. So I left everything apart waiting for it to start again. It never did because it stayed warm enough back there with everything apart. I put it all back together and the noise returned!!! After a couple of repeats I ripped everything apart and BEHOLD!!! An electric heater with fan!!!

Just another Bluebird day!!

TOM
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Andy, mine has a couple of electric heaters on adjustable thermostats behind the peg board under the kitchen sink and another one under the bath vanity. My '82 PT40 had them as well. I would think yours has them unless someone removed them.
Tom - I had two of them for sure - one under the kitchen sink, which I removed, and one in the hot water heater compartment, which was removed before I bought the bus.

I have temp sensors all over the plumbing in the bus now, and the coldest spot is along the sides of the bed where the pipes run up to the bathroom and kitchen. I have no airflow at all through there. The other spot, which is very cold, is where the shore water connection is. The box isn't insulated at all, and the pipes are mounted directly to it.

I found these little Hoffman enclosure heaters that run on 110vac that I might try out. They seem safe, better than the plastic Chinese heaters I think. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...eater&_sacat=0 I bought one to test out and it was broken, so I gave up for now.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Black Sheep Division

They look like they would work. The ones I have look like hair driers except they are made of gray metal.

The check valve failed on my water fill so I removed the whole works and relocated the check valve to the water tank compartment under the bed. I ran PEX from that back to the water fill door and used a garden hose to PEX fitting. it still will freeze but I hope enough water will evaporate out of the open PEX so as not to damage the tubing. No probs last winter but it wasn't that cold either. We'll see this winter,

TOM