Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 04-11-2017
Forum owner

I may be crazy,but i prefer to have my own tranny rebuilt.
The tranny thats in your coach came in your coach,it fits,and you know it did not come out of a trash truck or other vehicle that was run hard and put up wet everyday.
Motorhome trannys have an easy life most of the time,i like easy..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-11-2017
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If they would install a out of house rebuild/reman that could be an option but I would look closely at the fine print. You may find the coverage for failure lacking.

I think Gardner got into this problem with his tranny failure.
The trans truck shop installed for my FC was a Transaxle reman. It had bad issues due to a cut O'ring. I went direct to Transaxle warranty center and they installed a second reman and fixed a damaged U-joint (damaged by the original shop) all for no charge. I suspect the first shop may have done something wrong during install as I had many other issues due to sloppy workmanship from the push pull.
Trans ran great after that.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-11-2017

The only opinion that really counts is the one that is paying for the repair. My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but I'm with Randy on this one. I always prefer to rebuild what was in the vehicle originally if possible. It has nothing to do with "Keep the numbers straight", etc. It is all about the little details in set-up. If you put two transmissions of the same model number from different applications side-by-side, chances are there will be some little difference in the way they are set-up. Then the installer has to work around the differences. When I'm doing my own installs on cars/rovers/CUCVs, etc., I almost always have fewer problems if I rebuild what I started with. I would think that the principle expands to bus size also. Also, warranty is less of a concern than quality to me. For example, some of the well-known auto parts stores have great warranties on starters rebuilt in Mexico, but that warranty doesn't sound so good the third time you are under the vehicle replacing the same starter. Best of luck with your decision. The coach will be worth it in the long-run.
'86 PT38 "Eagle's Rest"
'82 FC35 (sold)
Old 04-11-2017

I own a transmission facility, the sh#t in the pan is a lot for 15k miles on a refresh. Clutch material at the least.
Building your unit at a general shop would only be an advantage if they are well stocked with hardware and related materials to overhaul a 700 series, not likely.
A Allison remanufactured unit would probably be a better quality due to the age of the trans. Not the place to price shop, warranty is where I'd go. Prepare for trans cooler components and oil hoses, all sensors and maybe a bit of wiring.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 06-14-2017

Default HT 755 No Speed Sensor

Well I limped to the tire shop since my speedometer stopped working which tossed the transmission into error. The SilverLeaf shows:
ENG PID 84 12 ROAD SPEED Bad Program

Talked to John at CoachCraft, and he thinks it is the Transmission Speed Sensor. Anyone happen to have a part number or a way to reset the error so that I can limp back home?
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 06-14-2017

Default HT 755 No Speed Sensor

Okay the part number for the HT755 transmission speed sensor is 23013334 ATD. And they do exist, at Allison. So while I'm waiting for the overnight shipment, I tried jumping the two wires from the sensor. Yeah, that didn't work either.

I think that I'm going to cry if it isn't the sensor, but some random wire somewhere with a break. The problem did stop for about 10 seconds, but then the error reoccurs. I wish there was some way to force it back into limp mode so I could at least get it the 4 miles home.

Also this error does not allow the transmission to be shifted at all.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Last edited by Kiwi3; 06-14-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2017

Default Troubleshooting CODE 54, PID 84/FMI 12

https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/c...-DDECV-06a.pdf

Quote:
Begin troubleshooting by taking the vehicle for a test drive with an assistant.
1. View the diagnostic tool; select Vehicle Speed.
[a] If mph reads 0 (zero), or stays steady with the vehicle in motion, go to step 2.
[b] If speed appears correct, refer to section 53.2.6.

2. Identify the speed sensor type - type one or type two.
□ The type one sensor is a magnetic pickup and may be located in one of the following
locations: transmission tail shaft, wheel rim, mechanical speedometer cable. If you
have a type one sensor, verify with diagnostic tool signal type - magnetic. Go to step 3.
□ The type two sensor communicates with square wave input and output signals and
requires the ECM/ECU to be configured correctly. If you have a type two sensor,
verify with diagnostic tool signal type - switched.Refer to section 53.2.7.

3. With ignition off, disconnect the Vehicle Interface Harness (VIH) connector.

4. Measure resistance of VSS circuit across VIH connector pins, V-17 and V-18. See Figure
53-1.
[a] If the resistance measurement is less than 50 Ω, refer to section 53.2.2.
[b] If the resistance measurement is greater than 3,000 Ω or open, refer to section 53.2.3.
[c] If the resistance measurement is between 50 and 3,000 Ω, refer to section 53.2.4.
And the Army way:
Quote:
FLASH CODE: 54
DDR DISPLAY: VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR FAILURE
SAE J1587 CODE: SID: 084 FMI: 12
Indicates that during an ignition cycle the vehicle speed that is measured by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is less
than the expected value for the current engine RPM. This diagnostic condition is typically:
(1) open sensor signal circuit
This is the culprit
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Last edited by Kiwi3; 06-15-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added sensor picture.
Old 06-16-2017

Well, getting the old sensor out is a bit more difficult than assumed. Luckily I'm at a shop, so I put a mechanic on it and he is getting it out in pieces.

I'm continuing the saga on Under the Awning as I troubleshoot.
The post is here >> http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...403#post382403 Starting at post# 3034 on page 304
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Last edited by Kiwi3; 06-17-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added link to continued troubleshooting.