Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 04-01-2018

Default New to the forum

Hello everyone,
We are new to the forum and in the market for a Wanderlodge. We will likely purchase this month if we can find one. We have 2 young boys so are looking for something that can sleep 4 or more. I Would prefer a Series 60 but I am resigned to the 8V 92. Love the sound worried about the mileage and repairs. My extended family has a long history of Boondocking at the Senator Wash area near Yuma proving grounds and I would like to continue the tradition.
Old 04-01-2018

welcome!
I just purchased a Wanderlodge coach last year. sleeping 4 will require modification most likely to put in bunks or something. I did see a nice LXI i think tho last fall that had bunks out in CO or UT maybe.
Welcome to the club and spend some time reseaching.

I put an ad in the coaches wanted section and was contacted by a WOG member directly and bought his coach. Could not be happier
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 04-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobird View Post
Hello everyone,
We are new to the forum and in the market for a Wanderlodge. We will likely purchase this month if we can find one. We have 2 young boys so are looking for something that can sleep 4 or more. I Would prefer a Series 60 but I am resigned to the 8V 92. Love the sound worried about the mileage and repairs. My extended family has a long history of Boondocking at the Senator Wash area near Yuma proving grounds and I would like to continue the tradition.
Welcome to the group Steve. So what got your interest in Birds. Did you happen to see a bunch of them in town last August, during the Eclipse? Must have been close to a hundred of us there. Anyway, to answer some questions on this post and the other one. Two "young" boys won't be an issue. They should fit ok on the sofa/sleeper. It may become an issue when they are "big boys". The previous owner of my coach cleaned out the pass thru bay and turned that into a sleeping area for two of his bigger grandkids. Easily done with some velcro and nylon screen. Don't know about the hot Yuma conditions though. It sounds like you are looking at an 88 as a possible price range you are comfortable with. If so, you can forget the S-60. Maybe even the '93. You may have to wait and move up to those. The '93 I am very familiar with, because I have one and I love it, but for boondocking like you are thinking you might want to consider something else, because it is a power hog and I use the generator generously, but that is fine with me. If you are boondocking in unimproved areas again, stay away from the '93 and maybe even the '88, because my '93 never leaves the road. EVER!! They are just too heavy and don't do well in off road conditions, especially with the tag axle, which should always be dumped when leaving any hard surface. You might want to consider an FC. They ride higher, are single axle and do much better in off road conditions. Although they still use their share of electricity they are not quite as much of a power hog as the WB coaches are.

Just some things for you to think about, before taking the plunge. Be sure to ask plenty of questions. We love telling you what we think

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-01-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Welcome Steve, you have come to the right place. We will try to answer all your questions and steer you in the right directions.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-01-2018

Default Thanks for the welcome everyone

Jim thanks for the reply with advice. My wife likes the older single rear axle units. They seem quite hard to find. I hear what you’re saying about your 93 and I was looking at the approach And departure angles myself. Have you ever had your Wanderlodge up to Yellowstone and if so did you have problems?
Old 04-01-2018

Welcome to the farm, Steve!
We has a great time in Casper last August, did our disease rub off?
You say you're concerned about fuel economy & repairs, both are an issue with any 'bird; 4-8 MPG, depending on what you get, & there's ALWAYS something needs doing! But on the flip side, each bus has it's own personality, and with care, will still be rolling long after the newer plastic palaces are just so much junk in a scrapyard.
WOG wisdom says, expect to spend $10,000 on a bus for upkeep/repairs. If you're lucky enough to get a well-maintained 'bird this might not be initially the case, but going down the road, things WILL break or need replacing; tires are around $300-$500 each, batteries are upwards of $100. Hopefully you're DIY-minded; many repairs can by done by oneself at a fraction of the cost of having an RV shop do it - & WOG is an invaluable resource, someone's almost always had the same or similar problems as you experience, and are not shy about offering helpful advice , be it part #'s, trouble-shooting advice, or the address of a repair facility that can help.
My only experience is with a PT-40, but I love that the 8v92 power plant is pre-computer, just the basic 2-stroke diesel - far less to go wrong, and plenty of power to do the job. As others have said, they're not too happy off-road; I recently had an embarrassing experience on a gently (I thought)-sloping rain-slick grass camp site, kept going sideways instead of forwards, needed a tow - for one bus-length!- to get onto the gravel road.
2 small kids - right now they'd be fine on the jack-knife sofa, which most models have. As they get older, I know some folks have shoe-horned bunk beds in. I'm guessing Yuma would be too hot for them sleeping in a tent alongside the bird, which is how we, as early teens, spent our summer vacations.
If you get a bus where somebody has added solar, that'll greatly help your boon-docking. Most rigs have decent-sized waste & fuel tanks, make sure whatever you buy has a good, functioning generator, & remember they quit when the fuel tank gets to about 1/4 full.
There's a really good decision guide elsewhere on this forum, if you haven't already looked at it, listing pro's & con's of the various models. And, of course, Randy's always there to give helpful advice on your purchase, just click on the Bye Buy Bluebird banner at the top of each page.
Hope you find your 'bird soon; maybe we'll meet sometime...we're only a couple hundred miles south of you guys.
Good luck!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 04-01-2018
Forum owner

Welcome to the ZOO!
I will speak up on Yellowstone.
Yes,lots of us have been there,and almost anywhere else you can think of.
Alaska,Canada,dirt roads way up in the Colorado high country.
Use you head and go slow!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-01-2018

Wow I didn’t expect so many replys so quickly, you guys are great and thanks for all the advice please keep it coming. My mom is down at Imperial Dam right now and says it’s hot as heck. She snowbirds down there and I think I would only do the same as everybody said too darn hot in the Summer. I grew up on a small ranch and I couldn’t wait to see every summer my great aunt and uncle who RV ed their whole retirement, and would spend a week or two with us every year.
Old 04-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobird View Post
... worried about the mileage and repairs...
Valid concerns. Average mileage is 5 to 7 mpg. Expect to spend roughly 5k per year on maintenance and repairs. If either of those scare you, a bird may not be for you. Do you plan to do your own maintenance? That factors into the equation as well. Initial purchase is only a fraction of the cost. But it's a heck of an adventure if you're up for it and a great way to build lasting memories.
VB 1570