Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 01-27-2019

Default Kevlar brakes

Recently I found a leaky wheel seal on my drive axle. So it was time to replace some brake shoes. I carry extra wheel seals with me, but I needed the shoes. So, off to the parts store I go. I found an interesting item and after some investigation, I decided to give them a try.

KEVLAR BRAKE SHOES (Imagine that, bulletproof brake shoes, LOL)

I always replace brakes on both sides of an axle so I bought two sets and went to work.

Aside from full metallic or ceramic, which wear the drums too quickly, apparently there are two main types of reinforcing material used in our brake shoes. Fiberglass and now Kevlar.

From what I learned, the resin used to bond the materials in the fiberglass version, tends to "gas off" at a lower temperature than the Kevlar version. Causing a gas barrier between the shoes and the drum. This causes the driver to need to apply more pressure, causing more heat, more gassing, more pressure, more heat....well, you get the picture.

Apparently the resin used in the Kevlar version gasses off at a much higher temp. Resulting in less gas between the shoe and drum. Thereby requiring less pedal pressure and causing less heat, less gas, etc. Also, these shoes are rated for a much higher weight vehicle. (trash trucks, etc)

We started on our first drive with the new brakes across Florida last night. Hit some stop and go traffic in Orlando on I-4. Braking seemed to require much less pedal pressure. Of course this could just be my optimistic outlook on things. But it really did feel like it stops better.

We'll see how thing go when we hit some mountains later on this year.

I didn't take a picture of the brake shoes. They look like plain old shoes.
But below is a picture of the finished project. Always clean and paint your BB projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finished job.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	59984  

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 01-27-2019

Nice! I need to go get my brakes inspected before I head West this year. Inspecting the slack adjusters isn't my favorite thing to do. I normally hit the truck stop for that since they will do it on a walk in basis.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 01-27-2019

You really need to pull the drums to do a real brake inspection. When I looked at mine from under the bus they looked fine. When I pulled the drums I found major glazing, big chunks of shoe missing and fried cracked drums. None of this could be seen until I pulled the drums.
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 01-27-2019

Hey question on the brake kits. Does anyone happen to have a part number for a 94' WLWB? I know they are Rockwell breaks, but there are so many options. And the shop I go to is normally "bring your own parts" for something like our busses.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 01-27-2019
ANOTHER REDNECK

and you should..

there has to be 20+ kinds of sets out there today and the old wanderlodge is also a big upgraded system that most parts guys dont look at numbers..just the parts and send a gopher to go get the dusty good parts
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 01-28-2019

On the subject of brake inspection:

Since purchasing my coach in 2002, I pulled the drums when she first got home. And I pull ALL drums every 2 years. I disassemble, clean all parts, check for broken springs, s cam play, chipped or broken shoes, leaky oil seals, cracked drums and any other abnormalities. Then I address any problems I find. Including replacing s cams and bushings, slack adjusters, shoes or drums. I degrease and power wash everything. Lube all s cam and slack adjuster points and shoe pivot points. Reassemble, and paint everything.

Since I do this every two years, the in between year, I get under and check all brake adjustments. I set them to about 1 inch to 1-1/4 inch of travel.

To me, brakes are probably the most important, and often overlooked maintenance item on our coaches. I figure my life, my kids and grandchildren lives and possible some innocent family's life could depend on my stopping ability. Especially since I'm usually towing a 10 to 12 thousand pound trailer.

And oh yeah....I pull all SIX trailer drums every two years as well. Again, replacing anything that's needed. Also with adjustment during the in between years.

Some folks say this routine is a bit "anal". "But better safe that sorry." And besides, I actually enjoy doing it.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 01-28-2019
ANOTHER REDNECK

the man --my brother

i get someone to help me sometime but yes to all

2 yr pull change tires and check the inwards of the brakes
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 01-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Hey question on the brake kits. Does anyone happen to have a part number for a 94' WLWB?......

I do not know if the modern coaches like yours have this, but my older coach has a Blue Bird data plate on the rear crossmember in the engine compartment. It lists the Brake Lining Number and Friction Code for each of the axles, along with the serial numbers for the chassis, engine, and the axle part numbers, etc.

When I used these brake numbers (eg 4515G/FF for my rear and tag axles), the parts department guy nodded his head and the boxes showed up in a couple of days.

Cheers.

len.mcleod@gmail.com
Old 01-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM680 View Post
I do not know if the modern coaches like yours have this, but my older coach has a Blue Bird data plate on the rear crossmember in the engine compartment. It lists the Brake Lining Number and Friction Code for each of the axles, along with the serial numbers for the chassis, engine, and the axle part numbers, etc.

When I used these brake numbers (eg 4515G/FF for my rear and tag axles), the parts department guy nodded his head and the boxes showed up in a couple of days.

Cheers.
/facepalm I should have looked first. LOL Thank you!
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 01-31-2019

Well. Apparently my bus was built on a Monday. The data plate on the rear has the information for the Drums but not the shoes. I don't suppose anyone with a 1993/94 WB has brake shoe part numbers?
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map