Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 04-10-2019

Default Facinating Steam Train videos

I know I am weird, but I could watch this kind of thing for hours. This is a giant open pit mine in China and there's no less than 15 steam trains going in and out at any given time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lowawNOrY48
Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I know I am weird, but I could watch this kind of thing for hours. This is a giant open pit mine in China and there's no less than 15 steam trains going in and out at any given time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lowawNOrY48
I haven't done it in years, but I used to love and watch the old steam locomotives and trains. When I was a kid the Pennsylvania Railroad had a double track go right through my hometown and that of my grandparents town. At my hometown the tracks were elevated so you couldn't see them that well. So we rode our bikes up to where my grandparents lived. There the tracks were below grade and so we could stand on top of the bridges and see them coming and going for miles. So a bunch of us kids would ride our bikes to the street that took you to the cemetery and stop on top of that bridge. You could see the black smoke coming out of the stack and then finally the locomotive. The engineers would do whatever it is that they did, but right about the time that they went under that bridge they would cause that thing to belch like a mean old lion and the smoke got blacker and thicker than before. Then you could feel the cinders hitting you in the face. We held our breaths for a while until the smoke passed and then ran over to the other side of the bridge to watch it go on down the track. There were lots and lots of trains on those tracks and we did it often. We would sometimes go home pretty grimmy from the soot. I know my mom would just shake her head when she saw me. She always managed to get my clothes clean. She was a marvel at cleaning. She had to be where I was concerned. I remember going to stay overnight at a friend's home, that lived a couple of miles from my home. Their house was right next to the tracks on a street that had a RR crossing. Probably about as close as it could be legally. There was an alley between the house and the tracks. That alley was made up of cinders from the trains. Anyway, when I stayed overnight I never got a wink of sleep. The house shook violently when the trains went by and of course they laid on the horns like crazy all the way through the intersection of the crossing. I asked them how they slept at night and they said fine why? They said they never hear it and sleep just fine. Those were fun days that is for sure.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-10-2019

Thanks for posting.... great memories of my American Flyer model railroad days.
Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 04-10-2019

I'm a bit of a train buff, I can't lie about that. I wasn't around in the steam days so seeing this "modern" steam equipment working daily is just fascinating. I love the smell of burning coal. I'm excited to see UP 4014 pulling again, even if it's converted to oil
Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
I'm a bit of a train buff, I can't lie about that. I wasn't around in the steam days so seeing this "modern" steam equipment working daily is just fascinating. I love the smell of burning coal. I'm excited to see UP 4014 pulling again, even if it's converted to oil
You all need to make a trip down to Fort Wayne before Christmas. The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society has an annual event and it gets sold out quick. People love it. It is pretty cool. https://fortwaynerailroad.org/

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
You should go to WMSTR in Rollag, Mn over Labor Day. It is 160 acres of antique engines, saw mills, etc. They have their own steam train you can ride around the grounds. If you really wanted to I’m sure you could get involved with maintaining and operating the train. We help operate the miniature engines building every year. Last year there were two bluebirds there that I saw, us and Smoke-n-Mirrors were parked next to each other. It’s a good time for sure, I think the camping fee for the whole week was 25 bucks. Of course it is dry camping,but that is part of the fun.
Old 04-10-2019

How ironic. They're using the same equipment that we used to build this nation to build theirs, just 100 years later.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD View Post
How ironic. They're using the same equipment that we used to build this nation to build theirs, just 100 years later.
True story - they didn't even make steam engines until the mid 50's, and they made them right up through the late 90's.
Old 05-04-2019

Default Big Boy Union Pacific 4014 Lives Again

I though I would add to badandy's train video thread.

A couple of days ago, Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 made its first test run after years of restoration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZ0o8jNd0A

len.mcleod@gmail.com
Old 05-04-2019

I saw that, they are having some problems with it, go figure!