Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-08-2019

Hmm, my big blue capacitor is connected, wonder what else has been cut, disconnected behind your dash..I treat that wiring like an expensive painting, admire but don’t touch..
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 06-08-2019

I have a green with black stripe wire that is cut and capped that goes to the cluster display panel. I need to look up and see what the PO was hiding. Any idea what warning light was disabled?
Jeep TJ Toad - LS 5.3 swap in process

Last edited by AEmedic; 06-08-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2019

This is the wire. It looks like it is designated the Headlight Alert on the schematics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9432F08-C37F-4E81-9E78-40DC5C6FCCEE.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	62392  

Last edited by AEmedic; 06-09-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Hmm, my big blue capacitor is connected, wonder what else has been cut, disconnected behind your dash..I treat that wiring like an expensive painting, admire but don’t touch..
It looks like the capacitor was part of the back up monitor circuit. I'm not sure why it needed it. The original system has been replaced by a later model, I'll have to see if there is any reason to integrate it back in.
Old 06-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Yup, but it gets better behind the speedo... kinda

Look close & you’ll see the business ends of Curt’s and Ray’s Birds at Q (10 I think ??)
That looks a lot like mine right about now...
Old 06-10-2019

I worked on the coach a good bit this weekend. I got most of the old and cut wiring out of the dash and the overhead. There were some scary things in both areas. There were many wires cut that had power through them. some of the butt connectors had pulled apart and had loose strands pulled all the way out. All of that is fixed in the overhead, I still have wires to trace in the dash.

The new head unit wiring is complete with the exception of the GPS antenna. I'm thinking of putting it on top of the aluminum that is just below the fiberglass cap above the overhead area.

For those that have run wires over the entry door, down to the floor on the curb side near the co-pilot seat and back to the area beside the small cabinet behind the co-pilot, how did you accomplish it? I want to put the subwoofer there.

Last edited by AEmedic; 06-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2019

I forgot a question...has anyone connected into the speedometer pulse signal for the GPS?
Old 06-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
I worked on the coach a good bit this weekend. I got most of the old and cut wiring out of the dash and the overhead... The new head unit wiring is complete with the exception of the GPS antenna. I'm thinking of putting it on top of the aluminum that is just below the fiberglass cap above the overhead area... For those that have run wires over the entry door, down to the floor on the curb side near the co-pilot seat and back to the area beside the small cabinet behind the co-pilot. How did you accomplish it? I want to put the subwoofer there.
Congrats! What some PO’s do . I ran all of my rooftop wiring (Travler sat dish, WeBoost cell amp stubby antenna, new off-air TV antenna... thru a single 1” hole drilled in the fiberglass end-cap on coach centerline, positioned near the two chrome vent caps and just above the A/V compartment. Once the wiring was in place the opening was sealed using one of those flat plastic 4 wire caps and lap sealant. There’s room for future wire additions as needed, just need to remove the sealant and redo. The stubby antenna was glued down with a dab of silicone to the roof surface a ways back and the aluminum makes a good ground plane. Lap sealant around its base and some Eternobond tape was used to secure the wiring. Not sure about electric conductivity but might use some thin 3M VHB double sided tape if done today. That stuff works great! Running wires to the little cabinet behind the pax seat is a pain but relatively easy with a fish tape and the fiberglass rods sold at HF. Both are mandatory for any job like this! Remove the left (forward) inside panel or “wall” from the left most overhead cabinet to access the area behind the black panel and electric gauges. Wiring can be run thru openings into this area from the front overhead and also to the vertical wiring chase right side of the door. It’s way easier to run wiring this route, if you temporarily remove the TV. The wiring chase on the floor beside the pax seat needs to also be temporarily removed. It is secured with a couple wood screws from the top. Use your fingers pressed into the carpet and/or a magnet to find the screw heads. Once removed, that carpeted chase cover can be lifted off. Fish the wires down th vertical chase. From there follow the path of the rest of the wiring in that lower chase follows to your desired destination along the side of the coach, for the sub. My Bose sub was positioned under the dining table on a platform BB had made. If yours was too, using the old Bose wiring might be possible. But not sure about that, since a good sound system is still on my to-do list. Lastly, NO on the GPS-Speedo question, sorry. My cell phone & iPad has GPS built-in so use that with an app (Co-Pilot). Seems to work just fine.

When you are finished please post a single list of all the equipment you installed. Still following your progress as this project is on my to-do list.
Old 06-13-2019

I didn’t do much this evening, but, I did get the Alpine ILX-F309 (Halo 9) hooked up and working. This is going to be the perfect media player. I think the 9” screen is just the right size for the dash. One of the best things is that it is only a single DIN installation, leaving plenty of space for the rear view monitor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F5C0057D-00C4-45FF-B80A-80291DDAE7F3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	62464  

Last edited by AEmedic; 06-14-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2019

New matching wood radio plate, BUM and radio installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	665A9B60-72B0-4413-A380-60F10B652958.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	62481