Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 06-01-2019

Default Fiat 500 for tow vehicle

Anyone has experience towing a Fiat 500? We have a Honda Element that we were going to use as tow vehicle but she has developed serious transmission issues and other small but necessary repairs that we are thinking to buy something else! Stacey likes, Jeep Wrangler or Fiat 500 or MiNi or another Element.

Recommendations are much appreciated!

Happy trails,

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 06-01-2019

Default Couldn’t be happier with our Fiat 500 as a Toad

Yes! Purchased my new base model Pop 5 yrs ago when we were pre-Bird. It makes the almost perfect Toad-4-Two vehicle. Is cheap to buy brand new (on-sale for < $12k), the manual trans is factory approved to flat 4 down towing - OM shows an RV towing one! (but don’t get an automatic), it offers a super easy push-it-into-place hook up with no steering wheel lock & no key in ignition needed, it gets 40+ mpg, it’s very tight, well built & fun to drive, plus it can carry a surprising amount stuff with the rear kiddie seat folded down. However, in a pinch that rear seat can also be used by two very friendly adults . Without your rear view camera - at 2,300 lbs you’ll never know it’s back there because pulls beautifully at any speed . The only “almost” above is it sits low to the ground so it’s definitely NOT intended for off road use . Living in the West I’ve been drooling over Wranglers for a couple years. But sticker shock (compared to Fiat) is reason I haven’t pulled trigger. Have told DW that even if we get a Rubicon, we’re keeping the Fiat for trips where off roading isn’t an option. Would highly recommend the manual trans Pop or if you can swing it, the Sport model for a few amenities. John purchased a used pocket rocket Arbath model last year and believe he’s happy with his too. Now if I could only figure out a way to temporarily give it 12” of ground clearance!

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=405423
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39FE83E8-B611-4C49-8D53-97781579FF82.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	62220   Click image for larger version

Name:	B056FC2B-2A5E-442B-AE96-2753C0603529.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	62221   Click image for larger version

Name:	40953A68-0BB4-4726-93B4-3A07D1056FAC.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	62222   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA53D3F0-BDEF-4A6B-8D72-18A24C9BA235.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	62223  
Old 06-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Yes! Purchased my new base model Pop 5 yrs ago when we were pre-Bird. It makes the almost perfect Toad-4-Two vehicle. Is cheap to buy brand new (on-sale for < $12k), the manual trans is factory approved to flat 4 down towing - OM shows an RV towing one! (but don’t get an automatic), it offers a super easy push-it-into-place hook up with no steering wheel lock & no key in ignition needed, it gets 40+ mpg, it’s very tight, well built & fun to drive, plus it can carry a surprising amount stuff with the rear kiddie seat folded down. However, in a pinch that rear seat can also be used by two very friendly adults . Without your rear view camera - at 2,300 lbs you’ll never know it’s back there because pulls beautifully at any speed . The only “almost” above is it sits low to the ground so it’s definitely NOT intended for off road use . Living in the West I’ve been drooling over Wranglers for a couple years. But sticker shock (compared to Fiat) is reason I haven’t pulled trigger. Have told DW that even if we get a Rubicon, we’re keeping the Fiat for trips where off roading isn’t an option. Would highly recommend the manual trans Pop or if you can swing it, the Sport model for a few amenities. John purchased a used pocket rocket Arbath model last year and believe he’s happy with his too. Now if I could only figure out a way to temporarily give it 12” of ground clearance!

Thank you for sharing Van. I have been looking at Abarth models and until recently I only drove sticks and prefer it anyhow! We won’t be doing any off-roading and the plan is to see the country over a the next year or so! DW is on the fence but she owned the 500e for a couple years as her commute car and she loved that, but now she is concerned about space being scarce with a dog and traveling!

A work in progress! Again, thank you for sharing!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 06-01-2019

I like the Fiat a lot. Before you buy check out the Chevy SPARK. Four doors and I think a lot cheaper to buy car for car. Has to be manual like the fiat.

I have one set up to tow that i should sell but I like the car so much I can’t bring myself to part with it .

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-01-2019

Towed my fiat pop 7,000 miles last summer, really like it !!!

It hates off road !!
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ine=1525285681
Old 06-01-2019

Shahin, a 6 speed Mini Cooper S is at the top of my list of the ones you would consider - mine's a convertible.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 06-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post

Van showed me the way and bought one dirt cheap with 3200 miles on it. Seems kids can't figure out a stick. I bought it for practicality and did not expect too much out of it. Boy was I wrong! It is a blast to drive and gets great mileage. I both two it and fit it and my utv on our included trailer. I could not be happier! We actually drove to Pheonix with 5 adults in it! We are CLOSE friends!
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."

Last edited by biobug; 06-01-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
Van showed me the way and bought one dirt cheap with 3200 miles on it. Seems kids can't figure out a stick. I bought it for practicality and did not expect too much out of it. Boy was I wrong! It is a blast to drive and heats great mileage. I both two it and fit it and my utv on our included trailer. I could not be happier! We actually drove to Pheonix with 5 adults in it! We are CLOSE friends!
fun, was it like the kids that piled into VW beetles or a circus act??
Old 06-01-2019

I think dogs like Wranglers better. This isn’t comparing apples to apples though, more like apples to cherries. I think the Wrangler gives you the option of getting down some marginal roads that may be fun places to explore and catch a interesting experience or view.
Old 06-01-2019

I agree. A Wrangler will get you most anywhere. We drove the Fiat 500 to the "Desert Bar" by Parker with 4 full sized adults down the15 mile trail,,. road and we parked next to over 100 Jeeps, big 4x4's and UTV's. The looks we got was amazing! Other than banging a few boulders against skid plates we made it fine,,, even passed a Rubicon changing tires.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."