Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-18-2019

Default Atwood Aircommand 15k reviews

Can anyone using these units tell me what you think of them? Cooling ability, noise levels, ducting compatibility. Looks like they come with thermostats, how did that work out with existing wiring or did you have to run new ones. What about the 12vdc at the unit. Thanks for any insight you can give.
Old 06-19-2019

I replaced my forward AC with one. Since install I have had it on continuously since April. I'm in lower Alabama and heat/humidity will kill anything here. I like the coach so I run the unit.

I have it set at 80F and it is quieter than the Penguin that it replaced. The roof unit is about 3" taller though. I do like that the compressor fins are easy to get to for cleaning on the back of the unit. I did 12vdc at the unit by putting a 120vAC to 12vDC converter in the housing. I also used the wire kit that they sell to make it easy. When it is just running the circulation fan it is really quiet. The interior plate allows you to open the bottom duct and bypass your normal AC duct work if you desire - works well for cooling the bus down fast.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 06-19-2019

Bruce you used the adapter with the existing ribbon cable? How is the thermostat that comes with the Atwood? I assume that it works with the Aquahot system. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2019

I have non-ducted units, but I installed 3 of these a couple years ago and I really like them. They are quieter than any other ones I've heard (ducted ones should be quieter in any case, so YMMV) and they cool very well. They are also a hair more efficient than most on the market.
Old 06-19-2019

Good to hear. I think I’m on the right track.
Old 06-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
Bruce you used the adapter with the existing ribbon cable? How is the thermostat that comes with the Atwood? I assume that it works with the Aquahot system. Thanks for the info.

Yup I used the wire adapter to connect to the existing ribbon cable. I haven't had any problems with it. The thermostat is nice. It also has a remote if I'm really lazy about taking 3 steps to the thermostat on the wall. I haven't tried the heat pump yet so no information on it for me. I don't have an Aquahot, but it does have a heater connection on it. I'm assuming that it is configured for the forced air heaters that many of the RVs have today. I'm not sure how it would connect to the Aquahot. There probably is something on it out there in Google land. /shrug
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 06-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Yup I used the wire adapter to connect to the existing ribbon cable. /shrug
Bruce, did your unit come with a cable to connect the havc to the thermostat? Wondering if I can just make the adapter out of parts that I could be throwing out.
Old 07-01-2019

There is a cable that comes with the ducting kit but I didn't use it. You could cut the ends off and splice them to your existing cable. I just took the easy way.

One other thing you'll have to deal with.
The condensation drains on the AirCommander don't line up with the rooftop drain ports that Wanderlodge put in for the Penguins. I just made some drain adapters out of heavy duty aluminum foil tripled up. I think they have a kit to adapt the drains as well but I was already mid-install before I thought about it. I'll eventually replace the other two units and will probably try their drain kit on at least one of them.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 07-02-2019

Bruce, it looks like the 12vdc converter you used is not available anymore. What criteria was needed for that part so I can find another alternative. My units have shipped.
Old 07-02-2019

You could try one of these transformers used for LED lights.
https://smile.amazon.com/LEORX-LED-Transformer-Power-Supply/dp/B017R17YQC/ref=sr_1_31?keywords=Transformer+12W+110V+AC+to+12 V+DC&qid=1562074034&s=gateway&sr=8-31

Quote:
  • INPUT VOLTAGE - YUNLIGHTS / Leorx LED driver 12V DC Input Voltage: 100 to 240 V AC, 50 to 60 Hz ( Good for US, UK, or European house current).
  • OUTPUT VOLTAGE - Leorx led transformer 12V DC, 3A,0-36W constant voltage. Don't connect this led trafo 12v to the projects that their voltage is more than 12v or their power is more than 36w. It is dangerous!
  • FUNCTION of VOLTAGE DRIVER - Smooth, flicker-free output and uniform lighting, built-in protection against overheating, overload, short circuit protection. Easy and safe with fully insulated connectors type: Screw Terminal.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map