Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-08-2010

Default Flushing Generator System LXi

I've had this generator block drain valve leaking for some time. Instead of replacing it which would be a waste of time seeing it would eventually fail again, I plugged the drain hole with a brass 1/4" plug. The original drain has a plastic center that just gives out. IMO a bad design.

I could have replaced with a brass valve but it's not used enough. It's just as easy to remove the plug if need be.

I did notice a lot of calcium build up in the antifreeze that drained from the block, and the the old leaking valve was packed with junk. I'm just wondering what kind of shape the radiator is in I would like to try and flush the system before removing the radiator. System runs cool ... no overheating problems YET!

Any suggestions on a worthwhile product that may help dissolve this stuff before flushing? I changed the coolant 2 years ago but didnt flush.

Thanks for your suggestions

Old 09-08-2010

I use Prestone Radiator Flush.
Only once I had to use Draino, I was out in the boones with a 2 cycle Detroit, having cooling system problems, I just ran it through the Radiator, with the hoses disconnected, blocked off the bottom port, let it hang for a few, then flushed it. I don't recomend this under normal circumstances, but it worked for me!
Old 09-08-2010

Slim:

My drain valve is also leaking (chronic condition) and the plug idea looks good.

If I go to the hardware store and ask for a 1/4" brass plug--do I need course or fine threads?
Series 60 DD
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Slim:

My drain valve is also leaking (chronic condition) and the plug idea looks good.

If I go to the hardware store and ask for a 1/4" brass plug--do I need course or fine threads?
Coarse thread
Old 09-08-2010

Does anyone know who the vendor is of the LXi radiator? Seems like this question has come up before. Its looks like its got 1" inlet and return at the bottom of the radiator. I could disconnect the hoses there and back flush it.

Jim, I may need something a little stronger than the Prestone looks like a lot of sediment.... DRAINO Did I mention I work with the EPA Just kiddin
Old 09-08-2010
davidmbrady

Hi Slim,

JB Radiator Specialties, our old friend.

Radiator Specialties Inc
8441 Specialty Cir
Sacramento Ca 95828

http://www.jbradspec.com/

Model: RS-2219 Rev:0
Serial #: 16129-0B-002

BTW, the generator takes 13lb radiator cap.
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Hi Slim,

JB Radiator Specialties, our old friend.

Radiator Specialties Inc
8441 Specialty Cir
Sacramento Ca 95828

http://www.jbradspec.com/

Model: RS-2219 Rev:0
Serial #: 16129-0B-002

BTW, the generator takes 13lb radiator cap.
Thanks David for the part numbers. I couldn't find any numbers, nata on the unit. Of course the way its mounted cant see much anyway. So, if I need one in the future it will be a special order, and I can plan on waiting a couple of weeks, or more. Hopefully I can get it cleaned up ... a lot to keep up with and work too geeze.
Old 09-09-2010
davidmbrady

Slim,

I had mine recored.
Old 09-09-2010
cmillsap

Slim,

If you think you need something stronger than a "Flush", then you will need a "Radiator Cleaner" like this one at NAPA shown on the link below;
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...400_0075100028

Chuck
Old 09-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
I've had this generator block drain valve leaking for some time. Instead of replacing it which would be a waste of time seeing it would eventually fail again, I plugged the drain hole with a brass 1/4" plug. The original drain has a plastic center that just gives out. IMO a bad design.

I could have replaced with a brass valve but it's not used enough. It's just as easy to remove the plug if need be.

I did notice a lot of calcium build up in the antifreeze that drained from the block, and the the old leaking valve was packed with junk. I'm just wondering what kind of shape the radiator is in I would like to try and flush the system before removing the radiator. System runs cool ... no overheating problems YET!

Any suggestions on a worthwhile product that may help dissolve this stuff before flushing? I changed the coolant 2 years ago but didnt flush.

Thanks for your suggestions

Hey Slim one of these sure would be cool in that plugs place. Far more leak proof than the oem valve and almost as leak proof as the plug.

http://www.discovervalve.com/101076.html

Peace&Love,Darren

Wanderlodge Wannabe
That's "Cheers" the dream coach