Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics

Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics Good Places To Stop For Repairs And Maintenance, Mobile Mechanics, Or Bad Places To Avoid Too -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please add the names of facilities that you can recommend for service and repairs for a 'Bird, or those places to avoid for the same things. Be sure to give as much information as you can....... NAME OF BUSINESS..... BUSINESS LOCATION..... BUSINESS PHONE NUMBER..... BUSINESS CONTACT PERSON..... YEAR/ MODEL/ENGINE/TRANS OF 'BIRD WORKED ON..... WHAT ARE THEIR HOURLY REPAIR RATES..... SERVICE WAS GOOD, OR BAD..... WHAT KIND OF SERVICE, OR REPAIR WAS DONE..... REASON YOU RECOMMEND, OR AVOID DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM..... YOUR NAME..... Here is a tip about how to post your record and comments. First copy the topics above and then open a "New Thread" with the NAME OF THE BUSINESS and/or the TOWN WHERE THE BUSINESS IS LOCATED, then paste what you just copied there and then fill in the information.

Site Search:

Old 09-24-2010

Default Valley Power Systems - Bakersfield, CA

Gentlemen/Ladies-

Just wanted to tell you about the service I received with my Bird at VPS in Bakersfield, Ca.

On the way back to Phoenix from San Francisco where I took delivery of my Bird in August I began to lose power on the freeway. To make a long story short (it actually was hilarious involving a one-way dirt road, 2 mile downhill backup, a runway, me almost running over my friend who fell, and a crop duster! Yes the first ride is the best!) I pulled off of the freeway and opted to have the vehicle towed (Good Sam) to the nearest facility.

Vehicle was towed to VPS in Bakersfield, CA where the diagnosis was I had a broken pushrod. VPS replaced the pushrod, "ran the rack", and flushed transmission also installing new filter. The service manager Andy kept me informed and the mechanic Dave called me a few times to explain everything and answer any questions that I may have. Once I went back to pick it up a young apprentice named William as well as Andy and Dave took the time to explain to me all that had been done. They even kept my coach stored an extra week when I had to fly to Seattle as my Father had passed suddenly. Bottom line is I am very happy with the service I was given at VPS.

I was out the door for under $2000 and was impressed when previous owner split the cost with me. He had just driven the rig from LA to Alaska and back and stated the broken pushrod would explain his 17mph hill climbs! I figured there probably isn't a more difficult route for the Bird than that. If it made it on 5 cylinders she's probably pretty stout.

Coach runs great now as I was able to pull 30mph up the 10 mile grade out of Palm Springs while towing my Honda Odyssey and reached 80mph easily on the flat. (Very brief,open area, no traffic) A special thanks to Joe Garner (konehd on here) for stopping by to check on my coach on a trip thru the area. Very nice of you Joe. Hope this review helps someone in the future. Any questions feel free to PM.

Last edited by Ex18C; 09-25-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Removed previous owner info
Old 09-24-2010
Forum Moderator

Jed good info. Bakersfield is one of my favourite places in the US
Old 09-24-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Jed good info. Bakersfield is one of my favourite places in the US
Hey Rob,

Bakersfield?? (Huh),

Could you clue us in as to "What's so great about Bakersfield?"

Chuck
Old 09-24-2010

Isn't that where his old BB toasted? Or is it because of Buck Owens?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-24-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Isn't that where his old BB toasted? Or is it because of Buck Owens?
You're right Rick. Because of our fire we met some of the nicest people we have ever come across. Bakersfield will always be special for us.
Old 09-25-2010

Thanks Jed,

Since Im going through there monthly moving to Sedona it was easy to stop and see your bus!

I also have good things to say about that place. Stopped there a few years ago enroute Death Valley for the '49ers encampment with a trans problem.

They let us park in their lot behind the shop overnight and checked the trans in the AM. Didnt find any problems and sent us on our way _no charge_!!

Given your experience and mine with them I think its a great place for service and would recommend them to anyone.

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 09-25-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

30+ yrs ago we were Texas boys out of our element, installing the wind generators on Techaphi and i had a old Pete 379 w/8v71 with 15sp that i loved..300" wb.....Valley diesel boys tuned it and dynoed it and I will never forget the service back then~ we sent a lot of business there and the shops in Mohave didn't like that so much.

great Place to test a machine is from there to Mohave across the hill~
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571