Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-11-2011

Default Headlight upgrades?

As I age, I have discovered more and better light is a good thing. While I rarely drive the BMC at night I am always looking for a better headlight upgrade for the occasional night drive. So far I have upgraded my headlight bulbs to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs and polished the existing lenses back to clear. That was a nice upgrade and they work fine for me now.

As our BMC headlight housings appear to be direct takeoffs from the 1990 - 1998 Chevrolet Silverado pickup, I was curious if anyone of my fellow BMC owners had upgraded to HID projector headlights? (Before anyone asks I am not trying to compete with the kids but merely looking for options for a possible future update/upgrade.)

I have seen these on the internet but am always concerned about quality and effectiveness.

Link: http://www.mytightride.com/chevy-c10...eadlights.html

Anybody tried something like this and would care to share the results?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-19-2011

Default Headlights

Brad, Unfortunately I cannot help. I have not replaced any of those front end bulbs (or rear end either) For the headlights all I have done is polish the lenses. Since it is extremely rare when I drive at night (if so, some bad problem has happened somewhere to cause that) I haven't worried about it so far. However, if you develop more info I will be interested.

I have more problems with those semi-open taillight bulbs that get dirty and nasty from road grime getting up in there and the contact is lost and they quit working and you have to open them up and clean the contacts and bulbs. I have been trying to think of a way to seal that up without buying new housings (I don't know if sealed housings are even available that will fit) but so far no good ideas have come to me.

I think they are Volvos but am not sure.

I have been thinking of trying to fit some sort of thin rubber cut to fit around the back and sealing it up with Silicone or something that I can open if needed to get to the bulbs.

Anyone out there done something like this yet?

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 04-19-2011

Default HID

I have converted two motorcycles over to HID and the results are amazing! I converted my 1980 FC 35 over to H-4 Halogen from sealed beams and it was a big difference. The motorcycles were converted from H-4 (55/60 watt)to HID (35 watt)and the difference was like five times more visibility than when I converted from old yellow sealed beams to H-4 halogen on my Bluebird. Hope this helps.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 04-19-2011

One of the best things I have done was rewire the fog/driving lights. As wired from the factory, they woud only work when the headlights were selected to high beam. After rewiring, they now work all the time when turned on. This is a tremendous improvement for overall ighting and does not seem to be blinding to oncoming traffic.
As best as I can recall, this only involved moving the hot wire that comes from the fog light switch. Factory position was connected to the high beam hot leg, now it is connected to a leg that is hot when the key is on.
Max

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 04-29-2011

Well, I continue my search for a headlight upgrade/housing that would improve my headlights. I have no definative answers yet and this could be a long time search. Right now HIDs do not appear to be a real viable option for me as it seems the law inforcement/DOT community frowns on non-factory HID conversions. So a better Halogen headlight might be a better move. My existing Silver Star Ultra headlights work OK but better and more light is always good as long as it is well placed.

During my search I did find this relay kit that keeps the low beams on while the high beams are selected. I have not tried it as I use my driving lights with the high beams. I merely posted the link in case others are interested. I also have not researched the legality of the conversion kit but on the older vehicles the low beams did not turn of when the high beams were selected so I assume these are legal.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=107

The search continues........
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-29-2011

A bit of wisdom. It's dark at nite. - - -so nite driving is an emergency for us. We too polished our headlights and found that when the "emergency" arises - driving in dark - - we use the high beams and driving lites - - no oncoming cars or other has flashed back that they were "blinding them".
Usually our nite driving is am before sunrise and only then a max of 1 hr prior to sunrise.
Ed Nowokunski

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 04-29-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Well, I continue my search for a headlight upgrade/housing that would improve my headlights. I have no definative answers yet and this could be a long time search. Right now HIDs do not appear to be a real viable option for me as it seems the law inforcement/DOT community frowns on non-factory HID conversions. So a better Halogen headlight might be a better move. My existing Silver Star Ultra headlights work OK but better and more light is always good as long as it is well placed.

During my search I did find this relay kit that keeps the low beams on while the high beams are selected. I have not tried it as I use my driving lights with the high beams. I merely posted the link in case others are interested. I also have not researched the legality of the conversion kit but on the older vehicles the low beams did not turn of when the high beams were selected so I assume these are legal.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=107

The search continues........

I should raise my prices, not really but you can save some bucks by supplying your own fuse and fuse holder or better yet use a circuit breaker and even with shipping save yourself some money, i have these in stock, or wait until you see me at the 2011 WOG Great Lakes Rally or 2011 Rally Across The Street (RATS) or 2011 FALL MAXTON MINI-RALLY or 2012 'Birds At The Beach at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, SC rallies and save the shipping cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
The old BOSCH relays are now manufactured to the same quality and specifications, by TYCO and they can be used for various projects on your Blue Bird coach. I also sell just the relay socket/pigtails if that is all that you need, email me for prices on those.

You can view the above RELAY / SOCKET kits that I have for sale by going to the link under the picture above, be sure to click on "NEXT" at the right of each page to see more information and uses for these relays, there are many of these types of relays found throughout some of the Wanderlodges, so my advice is to keep a few spares on hand.

Send me an email at iamflagman@aol.com for more information or call me at 803-783-7137

Check out Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > Headlights, Taillights, and Backup Lights Upgrade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HIGH BEAM HEADLIGHT RELAY.jpg
Views:	2973
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	10053  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-29-2011

Brad, just for fun I would check the voltage at the headlight to see what you have there...it makes a big difference having proper voltage. If voltage is low you could add a Bosh relay with a good 12 supply going to the headlights.

I'm sure the BMC came with the relay set-up but just confirm the voltage is good and all is in proper working order.
Old 04-29-2011
davidmbrady

John, I think you need to spruce up your posts, there may be one or two palette colors left unused!
Wait, I know I have my sunglasses around here somewhere. LOL!
Old 04-29-2011

its not the voltage its the lights
they suck

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact