Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 08-31-2019

I saw a clip last week on the news of 3 idiots on scooters going down the side of the I-5 in Calif. They finally came to a point where about 4 or 5 lanes of 80 mph traffic was merging in from the right. I didn’t see the ending but I’m sure the CHP had to rescue them and probably relieved them of there scooters along with a large fine.
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 09-12-2019
Gardner

It seems electric scooters have been around for a while:

original model:

The Dupree version

78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-12-2019
Forum owner

I did have a shopping cart with a 6hp honda on it!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-12-2019

Default Lectric Foldable eBike Observations After 3 Weeks

Would I buy the Lectric folding eBike again? You bet!

Several newly posted evaluation update videos have been made by the early adopters, just search YouTube using “Lectric electric bike update”. This is an especially good one: https://youtu.be/0h6L2m0P8QY

My first impressions and observations after a couple of weeks riding:

Straight out of the box (after charging), these babies are very rideable over all types of road & off-road conditions. Beginners should ease into it with local neighborhood rides. Learning how the gears work with the controls before you head out into traffic or off-road is highly recommended! My first ride included two lane paved, single lane forest roads, a short stretch of side shoulder highway, well graded dirt & logging roads and off-road narrow track ATV trails with both sandy and rocky surfaces. This is a good sampling of how I plan to use the bike. DW will use hers far less aggressively and that’s fine too. Some new owner observations:
  • Out of the box, the bikes needed a handlebar alignment to perpendicular with the wheel/fork. That was easy (Allen head bold on the stem under the folding post lock), and with a tire pressure check the rest of the bikes were ready to go
  • There’s plenty of seat and handle bar height adjustment for even the tallest or shortest people, and weight carrying/rider size shouldn’t be a problem
  • The bike is surprisingly well made and seems strong
  • The seat and ride are fine for me. However, the DW will be getting a wider/softer seat. There is also a shock absorber seat post that we may try. While the fat tires absorb allot the off road vibrations, I miss the RockShocks on my Bontrager mountain bike. A shock absorber seat post might help and I’m considering one
  • I carry a basic off-road tool kit because I go way off road - folding Allen wrench (metric), tire repair kit with wrenches, multi-open end wrench, tire pump and folding screw driver. If you’re just riding locally or around the CG, none of that is needed. Haven’t had to use any of it so far - knock on wood
  • Power is more than sufficient. To get used to it, I started out on the lowest power setting of ‘1’ and progressively bumped it up as I felt comfortable. On higher settings this bike has LOTS of power and torque! Climbing steep hills on 3 or 4 is easy with the electric motor doing 95% of the hard work. Higher paved road speeds up hills is also easy on higher power settings
  • There are three powered/non-powered options: Unpowered peddle only, Powered only with no peddling, and Powered with pedal assist. I find using the twist grip powered only option to be handy for getting going. But once moving I rely on the pedal movement with zero twist grip rotation to control the amount and duration of my power assist. Stop pedaling and the assist will ease off. Start pedaling again and it kicks back in. Again the intensity of assist is easily controlled by the power level setting (left thumb)
  • My off-road ATV trail and logging road rides have included both smooth & rocky climbs/descents. It does well with climbs but one must avoid extremely rocky areas. While there’s no suspension, the fat tires compensate for allot. Riding at full 30 psi tire pressure might be ok for strictly paved surfaces but it’s too hard for off-road. Twenty to 25 psi works ok for graded logging trails. With sandy or fine (dry) dirt trails 15 to 20 psi might be needed. The big fat tires give one lots of capabilities
  • The front fork doesn’t have much rake (keeps steering centered). The consequence of this is one must hold the handlebars firmly, especially when making turns at speed. There’s a slight sensation of the steering wanting to turn too much (which could be very bad). It’s not a problem, just something to be aware of and compensate for by holding the handlebars tightly when turning or riding over mild rocky terrain
  • I was worried that the mechanical disk brakes wouldn’t have enough stopping power for steep downhill trail riding. However, that hasn’t been an issue after a short break in period (where they squealed a bit). Hydraulic braking would be nice and it’s better for steep hills. But it’s also an expensive upgrade for the manufacturer. To keep the bike priced well below the competition, they had to make this understandable compromise. Will I upgrade at a later date? - maybe
  • The Shimano gear shifter works well and is precise. With LOTS of granny gears on my Mountain bike, I was worried that this electric bike one wouldn’t have enough on the low end. This worry was totally misplaced as the electric assist allows climbing even the steepest of hills, easily I might add
  • This bike is heavy! But when riding it, that weight is completely irrelevant thanks to the electric assist. With my mountain bike, I often shoulder carried it over extremely rocky terrain. This allowed me to go places no mountain bike rider could ever ride. With the electric bike I’ve had to moderate my trail capability because “shouldering” it would be difficult
  • The battery can be removed or left onboard to charge it. When I remove the battery I was surprised how heavy it is, maybe 10-15 lbs
  • The folding ability of this bike and its compact storage size is awesome. I really like not having to store these outside when traveling. They’d make a very tempting “target” if carried on on a rear rack. I have ordered a couple heavy duty U locks for when we are out and about with them
  • When storing, there is no latch that locks them into the folded position. However, this issue is easily solved with a Velcro strap
  • Its really nice to go on a challenging off-road ride and not worry how far from base camp/home one is! All I need do is watch the battery level meter and head home when it’s time (often not even pedaling if I’m tired)
  • I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with how much range and power this bike has! When a bike can go long distances like this one can, it’s reassuring to know that there’s enough power for it to get you home even though your “juice” may be exhausted
  • Lastly, get a nice comfortable riding helmet!
Old 09-12-2019

I'm glad to see that yours and most other owner reviews are positive. At order #44xx, I've got some wait time to go.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 10-01-2019

My bike came today (Oct 1) -- FedEx delivered to my garage door.

Lectric eBikes has been a pleasure to work with. Ordered 8/23. They said mine would ship late September. They updated me with e-mails/texts about containers arriving at their California distribution center for late August, early September then late September deliveries. Texted me when my bike left their facility and each step of the FedEx route including final delivery at my house.

Box was in great shape. Everything inside was well packed. No assembly required -- just remove all the protective pads then unfold and adjust seat/handlebars. They recommend fully charging the battery before first use -- it is charging now. So, I'll have a couple of weeks to mess with adjustments and get used to the power settings before WOG.

Again, thanks Van for all your postings about these bikes!! Looking forward to getting a lot of time in the saddle.

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 10-01-2019

Our bikes came yesterday and today. We put them together and took them for a ride around our drive way. These bikes can really go These are going to be fun to ride.
Thanks Van.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 10-01-2019

Ours arrived today as well. 5 weeks and 5 days since ordering. Nothing but good to say of the experience so far. I could never go $1500+ for one of these gizmos, but at $900 this company has hit the bullseye price for me and lots of other buyers.

After about 3 revolutions of the crank and feeling the motor kick in, I'm hooked.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 11-15-2019

Santa might appreciate knowing about this -

Just received this email: “We are thrilled to announce our special Lectric XP Black Friday holiday sale price of $879!”. Details here: https://lectricebikes.com

Still loving ours. I’m doing a lot of off-road so there’s an inexpensive front shock absorber sitting on my work bench. Hopefully will fit & get installed soon. Also just ordered a heavy duty lock, shock absorber seat post & more comfy seat for DW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C036D808-8F45-423D-9EEF-4A6FB4F7826C.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	65152  
Old 11-15-2019
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Santa might appreciate knowing about this -

Just received this email: “We are thrilled to announce our special Lectric XP Black Friday holiday sale price of $879!”. Details here: https://lectricebikes.com

Still loving ours. I’m doing a lot of off-road so there’s an inexpensive front shock absorber sitting on my work bench. Hopefully will fit & get installed soon. Also just ordered a heavy duty lock, shock absorber seat post & more comfy seat for DW.
Looks like I'm at the max limit.

Maximum rider weight: 275 lbs
Maximum load on rear rack: 55 lbs

Will need to check total weight x2 then do a weight & balance for the old Archer PA28-181
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509