Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-27-2012

Default King Control - cruise control - thumbs up for Steve

Big thumbs up on Steve from King Control.

http://www.cruisecontrolking.com/

office: 507.334.0250

I spent a few hours yesterday trying to troubleshoot my cruise control. It became clear that my system was older than the 2500 series version that is presently for sale on the Cruise Control King website due to some inconsistencies with the documentation vs. my control board. So I found the Cruise King website and called, leaving a voice message asking for help.

Steve returned my call this morning and spent 45 minutes walking me through various tests. We were able to get my old system re-connected and working! Steve spent a lot of time with me without asking anything in return. I thought I'd share my positive experience here.

If we could not get the actuator board working, he offered a discounted system, which also seemed generous.

Hope this helps someone decide on installing a Cruise King product!

Cheers,

Doug

PS - the picture below is the 2000 series actuator board. When the ignition is on, there should be a red light lit in the top right corner of the board. The red light flashes when the on button is flipped at the driver controller.

To put the actuator board in test mode, flip the dip switch adjacent to the green LED (bottom middle of the board). From there, hold resume button on the driver controller and you should be able to watch the actuator rotate through its range by turning the speed controller dial counter-clockwise and clockwise. clockwise would be full throttle with the cable wound around the crank pulley. (I was solo so I had to run back and forth)

Also, the two potentiometer wheels (near the green light) affect speed range and sensitivity of the system. The top wheel, when turned counter-clockwise looking from the top, increases the system target speed range (2 mph per cog on the wheel).

The bottom wheel adjusts sensitivity (I haven't played with this one yet). But Steve offered this: "Looking at the instructions if you are looking down on the wheel, turning it clockwise increases sensitivity, CCW makes it less sensitive. I recall that these sensitivity adjustments can also affect speed to some degree. Steve "

Hope this helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-26_18-05-28_419.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	18039  
Ex-PT36

Last edited by DW SD; 09-04-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2012

Added some information from Steve about the sensitivity settings above.
Ex-PT36
Old 05-16-2016

Resurrecting an old post...

Had a similar experience with Steve from http://www.cruisecontrolking.com/ . The 2500 series that was in my bird when I bought it was not working when I bought it and after several calls and 30+ minutes on the phone with Steve, all is good. Big thumbs up to Steve!!!
Old 02-22-2019

Continuing with an old thread, George Morris has said we would be putting good money after bad to continue working on my OEM Bendix cruise control. In searching these pages, it seems that the King Cruise would be a good replacement. I talked to the folks at King and they said that the fact that the Bendix is already in place will make the King install that much easier.

Anyone ever put one of these things in? George doesn't want to attempt. After all, he is primarily a Bluebird guy.
Any suggestions on who I can get to install?
Should I really give up on the old Bendix?

I'm planning on Birds at the Beach and a Vintage Birds rally in Maine this summer. I really need cruise control. Help!
Old 02-22-2019

Stick,
I don't think it is too hard to install a new King unit. you need speed input. brake light input. the control wire bundle front to back. Probably 12V+ and switched 12V+ and ground. Those wires are readily available in the rear engine bay. And some way to connect the cable pull to the fuel pump throttle.

I've done several installs of speed controls for my boat (wake boarding), two different boats and 2 different systems. I'd be surprised if a good tech can't do it in 4 to 6 hours.

I know BadAndy is building his own system. Maybe you can piggyback off of what he's doing for his PT?

I can't comment on the original, but seems like George's advice is generally viewed as sage.
Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 02-22-2019
Forum owner

I like badandys setup,common parts from ebay etc.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-22-2019
Administrator

There are numerous threads on the repair of the obsolete Bendix CC.
Many are still in operation, It is tinkerers' night mare,. But all parts are replaceable, except the electronic control board.
Read all threads, check with those at the B@B rally especially Shane.
Is is time consuming and finding a repair person to hire is probably impossible.
Cruise King is the replacement.
Old 02-22-2019

3G Productions in Dallas TX can test and repair our Bendix cruise control modules. Larry has done several of them for BB owners. I thought mine was bad at one point. Had him test it. It was good. My problem happened to be with the air control valve.

3G Productions
2970 Blystone Ln, Ste 104, Dallas, TX 75220
214-357-2682

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 02-22-2019

FWIW my GM cruise conversion is done, but I still can't drive anywhere to test it due to the extreme amount of ice on my uphill driveway. I am confident it will work great, but we'll see in a few weeks. If it works out I'll spill everything so anyone can do it.
Old 04-16-2019

Any update on your cruise conversion ?