Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-12-2012

Default FOR THOSE WHO LIKE PUZZLES: troubleshooting blinker lights and brake lights

Weird issue that has me scratching my head - it is not new either, just trying to finally track it down.

Maybe best to lay out my symptoms:

I have two pairs of rear brake lights, which come on with the brake switch properly. But, the right rear turn signal also turns on (not flashing) with the brake switch (the side and front marker lights do not turn on nor does the right turn signal indicator on the dash).

My turn signals (front, rear, side and dash indicators) work properly with the turn signal stalk switch.

My emergency flashers work properly (dash, sides, front, rear), unless I hit the brake pedal. When I hit the brake pedal, all flasher lights remain solidly lit, but no longer flash, including those on the dash.

I've identified a red signal wire leading to the engine door wiring harness which feeds the right rear turn signal light. The red wire is bundled with green, blue, brown and white, which comes from the rear water heater area. This wire has 12V+ when the brake lights energize. Originally, i had thought I'd find the wiring issue at the back engine panel.

Questions:
And why does the right rear turn signal light up with the brakes, but not the side markers or front or dash lights? I don't understand how the rear turn signal is then isolated from the rest of the turn signal lights.
Ex-PT36
Old 09-12-2012
Campground Owner

Do you have the turn signal relay box in that model BB. In mine it is located in the genny fan compartment, under the driver. A small, 2 x 3 x 3/4" silver colored metal box, with a lot of wires.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 09-12-2012

hi Jon,
thank you - I don't know. I do have large Ford-style solenoids above the driver's compartment which seem to drive the turn signals. their click is very loud. Only the right one clicks when I step on the brake - maybe that's another clue.

Maybe the signal box triggers these solenoids?

I'll have a look for that box.
thank you,

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-12-2012
Forum owner

First thing its always a ground.
2nd thing,it may be in the trailer wiring.
Unhook the toad,if its hooked up,then check the lights.
Then check the trailer plug and wires on the coach.
Then check the ground wire in the tail light thats acting stupid.
Then advise us!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
First thing its always a ground.
2nd thing,it may be in the trailer wiring.
Unhook the toad,if its hooked up,then check the lights.
Then check the trailer plug and wires on the coach.
Then check the ground wire in the tail light thats acting stupid.
Then advise us!
Hi Randy,
Good thought!

The Toad is not hooked up.
I disconnected the red 12V+ feed wire free from the trailer harness and the right rear turn signal light housing itself. With a test light, I checked it and moved the ground. That eliminated the ground and the connection to the trailer plug from the equation. The problem persisted.

The issue lies somewhere forward of the rear of the coach.

Thank you for your consideration!

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-12-2012
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Weird issue that has me scratching my head - it is not new either, just trying to finally track it down.

Maybe best to lay out my symptoms:

I have two pairs of rear brake lights, which come on with the brake switch properly. But, the right rear turn signal also turns on (not flashing) with the brake switch (the side and front marker lights do not turn on nor does the right turn signal indicator on the dash).

My turn signals (front, rear, side and dash indicators) work properly with the turn signal stalk switch.

My emergency flashers work properly (dash, sides, front, rear), unless I hit the brake pedal. When I hit the brake pedal, all flasher lights remain solidly lit, but no longer flash, including those on the dash.

I've identified a red signal wire leading to the engine door wiring harness which feeds the right rear turn signal light. The red wire is bundled with green, blue, brown and white, which comes from the rear water heater area. This wire has 12V+ when the brake lights energize. Originally, i had thought I'd find the wiring issue at the back engine panel.

Questions:
And why does the right rear turn signal light up with the brakes, but not the side markers or front or dash lights? I don't understand how the rear turn signal is then isolated from the rest of the turn signal lights.
Hi Doug,

The part about the brake switch also turning on "the right rear turn signal" threw me off for awhile because it sounded like you had more lights back there than an 83 should have. Then I looked through some of your old posts and I think I found a picture of the back of your coach.

If this is a picture of your coach, then my contribution to help solve the puzzle is that your 83 has 87 style tail lights so that changes things a little!!!

Note: The flashers on my 84 ½ PT-36 did that too so it may be normal for an 83?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	18259  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Hi Doug,

The part about the brake switch also turning on "the right rear turn signal" threw me off for awhile because it sounded like you had more lights back there than an 83 should have. Then I looked through some of your old posts and I think I found a picture of the back of your coach.

If this is a picture of your coach, then my contribution to help solve the puzzle is that your 83 has 87 style tail lights so that changes things a little!!!

Hi John,
That is my bird! Good detective work!

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyclegg View Post
Do you have the turn signal relay box in that model BB. In mine it is located in the genny fan compartment, under the driver. A small, 2 x 3 x 3/4" silver colored metal box, with a lot of wires.
Anyone know in what year was this lighting logic box put into service? As John adeptly pointed out, my bird was updated to later 80s body-style from the early 80s. Probably at the time it was repainted, about 10 years ago.
Ex-PT36
Old 09-13-2012

Looks like you are going to need a bigger bike rack, for that monster trike, Doug!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by catshreds View Post
Looks like you are going to need a bigger bike rack, for that monster trike, Doug!
thanks, I look pretty cool on my 4 year old's pink bike.
Ex-PT36