Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 04-09-2013

Default Battery recharging and Desolating the plates

First of all I do not know if this subject is located here on this site as I have tried to locate information on this subject using the search area.

Ok now that being said I would like to know if our coaches are 12 volts or 24 volts starting voltage? I have a 78 Wanderlodge which has four six volt batteries in series and would like to use a piece of equipment to help maintain maintain my present batteries. I have a Battery Minder 12 volt desulfator charger and would like to know how to use this unit on my batteries.

First of all I would like to know if our coaches are negative ground or positive? I presently have a cut oft switch between two of the four batteries and can isolate two of the six volt batteries of switch I suppose when hoked up in series makes 12 volts. Correct? So if I hoke up my charger unit to two of the six volt batteries they should be putting out 12 volts-is that right? Just checking before I venture into using this battery Minder unit and would like any and all info to continue on this process. Thanks Jon
Old 04-09-2013

If you have 6 volt batteries they are most likely deep cycles which are more commonly used for the coach itself. Each set of two connected in series gives you 12 volts which is how your coach is wired for both the starting circuit and the coach functions. Seems like you should have at least one 12 volt starting battery on one side of your switch to be used to start the motor as I think the heavy draw that a starter demands is hard on expensive deep cycle batteries.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 04-09-2013

All four batteries are six volt and there is no separate house battery set up. So I have four six volt batteries in parallel to add up to 12 volt system. So if I disconnect the first set of batteries and hock up my desolating unit it should work on those two batteries and then do the second two. Or do you think I could use this desolating unit to all four at one time. These units are not chargers but unit that cause a slight vibration on the internal battery plates to cause the stuff that collects on the plates to drop oft.
Old 04-09-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Jon, on your model they put 4x 6v batteries in series/parallel to get 12v. They use that for both house and coach systems. Personally I don' t agree with that so have added a pair of 12v starting batteries in addition to the deep cycle house bank.

You can treat your battery setup as a single large 12v system when it comes to charging or hookup up electronic devices. I'd be happy to send you a drawing of what I did if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6v series-parallel.gif
Views:	93
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	21354  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-09-2013

I don't know how that unit would work other than by applying amperage to the batteries. And in that case the more batteries perhaps the less effective? Pretty sure there are members here with far more battery knowledge than me. In fact I have already exhausted my limited supply.....
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 04-09-2013

Jon-you have to do the 6V batteries in pairs. Leave a single connection between the (+) on "Battery A" and the (-) post on "Battery B" and disconnect all other cabling. Hook the desulfator to the remaining (+) and (-) posts on that pair. Then move to the next pair. Our coaches are 12V up until the '04' models (I think) You have a good setup with the 6V batteries- you just need a good charger now and you will never have to desulfate.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-09-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lechich View Post

First of all I would like to know if our coaches are negative ground or positive?
BB's are all NEGATIVE ground.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey