Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 09-27-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Air Tank Manual Drain Valves & Lanyards

On my '82FC35RB in order to drain any moisture that had accumulated in the air tanks, I had to crawl under the 'Bird and with a pair of pliers turn the drain petcocks and if there was any moisture in them it usually gave me a little bit of a bath, so randy and I installed Manual Drain Valves with a Lanyard to replace all of your air tanks petcock drains, the old petcock style drains are removed and this is screwed directly into the same place and then the lanyard cable is strung over to the side of your 'Bird and attached to the bottom of the body, so that you can then just reach down and pull on it to drain the moisture out of the air tanks.

Whoever installs the new drain valves needs to be careful about routing the lanyards across the exhaust pipes, as eventually they will get hot enough to burn through the lanyard cable itself, I had this happen to me and I replaced just the lanyard cable with a heavier aircraft grade cable and re-routed it so that it doesn't lay on top of the exhaust pipe anymore.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/haldex-midland-kn21004/air-tank-drain-valve-with-cable-p-u55-kn21004
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MANUAL DRAIN VALVE WITH LANYARD.jpg
Views:	4423
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	15580  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11

Last edited by iamflagman; 06-12-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2008

Thanks, John, that's what I need for the rear air tank, the drivers side I can do with the Zip Dee awning tool and of course the passenger side is handled by the spitter valve, but getting to that rear tank is scary.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 09-27-2008

Is there just one size thread for these? I need to do mine but haven't because of not knowing what size I need.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Is there just one size thread for these? I need to do mine but haven't because of not knowing what size I need.
The only ones that I have seen are the 1/4" NPT thread, here's another source;
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=353

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-28-2008

John,

How are you transferring from the vertical pin to the horizontal with the lanyard? Are you using a pulley or maybe just letting it slide on the frame? I guess you could put a 90 degree elbow so that then there is only a difference in height between the pull location and the tank drain location but it might introduce a drainage problem with any gunk.

I think the lanyards are a great idea. I hope to install some soon. Anyone install electric drain valves?

Glenn
Old 09-28-2008
Gardner

Glenn,
The lanyard pins pull sideways, it is a simple install. I had them on my 1978 bird and drained the gunk evey so often. I put them on my 1983 bird and with the air drier I never seem to have any moisture or gunk.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Glenn,
The lanyard pins pull sideways, it is a simple install. I had them on my 1978 bird and drained the gunk evey so often. I put them on my 1983 bird and with the air drier I never seem to have any moisture or gunk.
That is correct and as an added note, it doesn't matter where the valve ends up when it is completely screwed into the fitting, as the valve handle that the lanyard is connected to, can be pulled on from any angle to make it work, so the other end of the lanyard cable does not have to be mounted directly in line with the drain itself.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-29-2008

Gardner and John,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Glenn
Old 04-18-2009
Administrator

I have these Lanyards on our four air tanks.
In looking for air leaks , I found two of the lanyards were leaking a very small of air. Since the cables tilt the pin and let the air leak out, It appears they were not seated properly or there may have been some road debris in the rubber gasket. A few hard downward pulls on the cables and a full rush air blast cleared the gasket and stopped the leaks.
These lanyards are convenient and make checking the tanks easy, But they can leak.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 04-18-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2010

Default water in air

87 PT40- I was airing up at home and checking tire pressures, I happen to plug into my air coupler in the bay to clean out and got a lot of moisture, looking thru my shematics I can't find an accumulator where I can evacuate water, afraid to get moisture in my air bags, tahanks, Robert
87 PT-40