Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-04-2013

Default Help needed wiring inverter sub panel

As many of you know I've been renewing the inverter/charger in the Bella.

I am stuck on a wiring problem and looking for some advice.

My bus originally had a pacs inverter and when Shane wired up the zantrex inverter we just tied onto the line which fed out of the pacs and that worked Ok but since I've gone to so much expense and trouble to do this new Outback inverter/charger Shane suggested I wire in a sub panel and add the microwave and some other 110 circuits that were not inverted so that I had a little more flexibility and got a little more bang for my buck. SO???? I pulled four circuits out of the original panel box and wired them into a sub panel. One circuit is the microwave and the other three are 110 circuits for TV's and wall outlets. I have 110 coming into the sub panel and I am getting 110 across the individual breakers but nothing at the outlets. Microwave works. And I think the key piece of information here is that the microwave which was not inverted is now working thru the sub panel but the other three are not.

Wired all the same but some how I've killed the other 110 circuits. Some of them were inverted and some not. Probably something simple but??

Any thoughts as to what I've done. I have lots of information on the DC circuits but I don't seem to have any information on the AC wiring. HELP

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-04-2013

Maybe one of them was GFCI and you tripped that? Just a WAG.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 07-04-2013

I'm also thinking GFI circuit controlling several outlets.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 07-04-2013
Gardner

John,
Did you completely remove the wires for the circuits from the main panel and re-install them in the sub panel (ground, common and Hot)?
And does the inverter output (ground, common and hot) go to the sub panel and the inverter input (ground, common and hot) comes from the main panel?

Generally if you know the hot leads are working on the output side of the sub panel breakers then the common is probably the issue.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-04-2013

Checked the ground fault breaker and it doesn't seem to be the problem.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-04-2013

Yes Gardner I pulled the wires out of the panel box and wired them into the sub panel box and I think I have that done correctly. If I was dead on one circuit I would think I just have a bad connection but three out of four? And the odd thing is the one working is the one (microwave) which was what I was trying to get into the inverter circuit which was not inverted. Now the circuits that were inverted are dead.

Are there relays someplace that might be confused since I am sending current a little differently.

Doesn't seem to be a ground fault problem.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-04-2013

My Pacs was wired through an auto switching relay. It is mounted on the wall behind the kitchen sink. If your "outlets" are wired through this relay, this could be why they aren't getting power.

Time to call Shane again.
Old 07-04-2013

John
I can't grasp what you are trying to accomplish. If you transfer these circuits to a subpanel powered by the inverter, is there a way to power them from shore power when it is available?

If you still have the original switching relay (and it is functional), all you need to do is connect the output of your new inverter to the "inverter contacts" terminals and you are done. I do not see the need for an additional panel.

Ed W, you are our in house electriton. What do you say?

Last edited by Jim Keefauver; 07-04-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: bad advice
Old 07-04-2013

Jim, I think you are on the right street. Now I have to get to the correct house.

Interestingly the outlets that were not inverted are hot and not hot when I open the breaker in the new sub panel it's the original outlets that were inverted that are not working. It's the relay or relays I believe. I guess I need to by pass the relay(s)?

Jim, what I am trying to do is to get MORE of the outlets inverted plus add the microwave. I think the relay is the issue now exactly what to do. We did this on Simms BMC no problem. I think the difference is this relay. Without the relay the inverter is reading shore power or inverter power. In my original situation the relay was what was triggering between 110 shore and 110 inverted. My guess is it I wire across the relay I should be OK. Not going to do anything until I get more information but at least we are starting to figure out the problem

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-04-2013
Gardner

John,
It sounds like there is additional circuitry in those runs. I have seen on this forum a circuit with relays that was on the output side of the main panel breakers. It would switch the line to the inverter when no shore power was present. Beyond that I don't know much about the secret stuff BB did with inverters. You really need an original AC circuit diagram, moving ahead without it will not be easy.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey