Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 11-30-2008

Default Cummins M11 450hp

Just about everything I've seen for engines on BB's are Cat's. Does anyone have experience with the Cummins M11 and thoughts about it good or bad. We were told it was one of the more economical engines and so far we're getting between 6.5 and 7.2 MPG

Jim & Patti Kennedy
'98 LX40 "The Office"
Pinckney, MI

Last edited by jkenn48105; 11-30-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: add signature
Old 11-30-2008

Default Cummins M-11

I have a '97 M-11. Fuel mileage has been between 7.5 and 8.5 with Mariner toad and driving at 65.

MIke

Mike & Judi Brody
3109 SW Captiva Court
Palm City, Florida 34990
(v) 772-463-1078
(c) 215-582-3848
Old 11-30-2008
Forum owner

the cummins is a great engine,good milage too.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-30-2008
Former Bird Owner

AFAIK, the Cummins engines are good. The discussions tend to focus on the Cat 3208, DD 6V & 8V92, and DD Series 60, simply because the largest number of 'birds have these engines. Only the newest 'birds use Cummins -- so they're fewer in number and mostly aren't old enough to have "issues" to discuss.

BTW, Detroit Diesel is owned by Daimler Benz, and starting in 2008, DD engines will only be available in vehicles from Daimler owned manufacturers -- Freightliner, Setra (bus); Thomas (school bus), etc.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-20-2009

Default Cummins m11 overheating

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Long time lurker First time poster.
I have a new to me "96 pt40 M11 cummins 400hp with allison trans."

I cant keep cool when going up big hills when its hot outside.
The first year I owned it (07)we took it to Silverton Co. and had a terrible time. After getting it home, I removed the radiator and cleaned it both inside and outside. Put 4 new elec fans between the CAC and the Rad pushing into the rad/engine compt. I also removed the full width mud flap after reading that those can cause overheating problems.
I also installed a homemade mister system using the potable water system.
We made it to silverton this year (08) with less overheating but still, the temp. seemed to run hotter than normal.
It did overheat and shut off going up the big hill east of albuquerque on the way home with an outside air temp about 98degrees.
Am I expecting too much from a motorhome to think it should go over these 11,000 foot mountains or do I have a problem that I need to fix.
Max hendrix
Brock Texas
96 pt 40
Cummins M11 400hp / Allison 6speed

Last edited by max hendrix; 01-20-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: add signature
Old 01-20-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Long time lurker First time poster.
I have a new to me "96 pt40 M11 cummins 400hp with allison trans."

The first year I owned it (07)we took it to Silverton Co. and had a terrible time. After getting it home, I removed the radiator and cleaned it both inside and outside. Put 4 new elec fans between the CAC and the Rad pushing into the rad/engine compt. I also removed the full width mud flap after reading that those can cause overheating problems.
I also installed a homemade mister system using the potable water system.
We made it to silverton this year (08) with less overheating but still, the temp. seemed to run hotter than normal.
It did overheat and shut off going up the big hill east of albuquerque on the way home with an outside air temp about 98degrees.
Am I expecting too much from a motorhome to think it should go over these 11,000 foot mountains or do I have a problem that I need to fix.
Max
Max,

You posted this in the right place and it is good to see that you came out of the lurker mode, but I'm first going to remind you that you need to add a signature to your posts and that is very easy, just read this thread and it will explain how to do it, check out How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

Personally I don't have any first hand knowledge with a Cummins engine, but I would think that you should be able to successfully go over 11,000 foot mountains, but you failed to mention what speeds that you are attempting to do this at, if you are pulling a toad or a trailer, what is the 'Birds total weight.

I know that when the temperature got up near the century mark on my trip out through Wyoming and Montana, I took the precaution of going over the higher and steeper grades very early in the morning, when the ambient temperatures were at their low for the day and then I slowed down my speed even on level roads when the temperatures were extremely hot, but I was doing all of this with a CAT 3208NA and pulling an enclosed autocarrier trailer with a total gross of over 40, 000 pounds, but the old CAT took it all in stride.

I'm sure that there will be more knowledgeable members that will be trying to give you some tips and probably asking more questions too.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-20-2009
hturner 12

Default cummins M11 overheating

The first year I owned it (07)we took it to Silverton Co. and had a terrible time. After getting it home, I removed the radiator and cleaned it both inside and outside. Put 4 new elec fans between the CAC and the Rad pushing into the rad/engine compt. I also removed the full width mud flap after reading that those can cause overheating problems. I also installed a homemade mister system using the potable water system.
We made it to silverton this year (08) with less overheating but still, the temp. seemed to run hotter than normal. It did overheat and shut off going up the big hill east of albuquerque on the way home with an outside air temp about 98degrees.

Max
I has been several year since wrenched for JB Hunt, at that time the cummins eng were in most of the fleet no problems with overheat. You did not mention your gear ratio or hp. What size tires do you have? When you cleaned the radiator did you clean the the rest of the cooling system? I am not familiar with the cummins in a bus with an automatic. JB had9 speed or super 10'. have you taken by a cummins service cent to let them scan it for you? there may be a fault code that may need to be cleared or you may need them to turn the eng up a little bit to get more hp? go tohttp://www.cummins.com and do a search for that engine. or find a Cummins dealerin your area or a bus company/transit system that is run the same setup. You can throw parts at the problem a day long and maybe you will get the right fix it sounds like a problem of overworking the engine
Old 01-20-2009

MyM-11 was overheating when I first bought it fiuve years ago. I went to Spartan and found that the stack was full of debris that couldn't be seen from either side. Further, the radiator was decayed from salt and thefins were powdering apart.

Solution was a to re core the radiator and a strong warning to hit it with Simple Green at least twice a year.

Since this new radiator was installed, I have not seen any significant rie in temperature.

I would anticipate your problem to be the same.

Call me if you wish to discuss it one onone.

Mike
'97 BMC 40'

Mike & Judi Brody
3109 SW Captiva Court
Palm City, Florida 34990
(v) 772-463-1078
(c) 215-582-3848
Old 01-21-2009

The ISM 500 Cummins, newer version of M-11, Has a torque curve that runs flat at 1550 lb-ft from 1200rpm to 1600rpm and measures 1450 lb-ft at 1800rpm point of max 500 bhp. This engine has greater pulling power than either the Cat or DD series 60. I get 7.5 to 8.5 MPG at 65 to 75mph. with a toad.
Old 01-21-2009

I match your mpg, but would like the extra horses of the ISM.

Mike

Mike & Judi Brody
3109 SW Captiva Court
Palm City, Florida 34990
(v) 772-463-1078
(c) 215-582-3848