Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2009

Default Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not?

I started out 5 years ago with a nice '78FC33. Great coach, reliable and simple. It never left me stranded and when I got done with it, it went to a happy new owner.

I've now owned my present 84FC35 for 3 years. Great coach- More power, retarder, diesel generator, air ride, etc. It is also more complex. That makes sense with the upgrades over the '78. What I can't seem to get over though, is what appears to me as taking a reliable, simple way of doing things and making it complex only for complexities'(?) sake. For instance: The '78 has fresh air vents for driver and passenger operated by either a cable or a rod. This allows the vent to be opened a little or wide open with a touch of your hand to give just the right amount of fresh air. The '84 has air operated vents that are either fully opened or fully closed. It's the same with the driver's and passenger's heat. '78 has a cable operated valve in a coolant line that can be opened anywhere between full on and full off to fine tune the coolant flow to the heater. '84 has a Sporlan valve that is either opened or closed.

I've got the '84 in great shape now and have been thinking of moving up since I've run out of things to do to it, but I find myself thinking of more complicated things on a new coach(early '90s). I'm talking toilets here!(among other things I'm sure) If I want to take a dump, you're telling me I have to have not only water, but also air and 12 volts for a royal flush? Primus heating also seems to generate more discussion than Suburban furnaces also. I don't mind working on a system to make it right, but by reading the posts here it seems that some of these systems cannot be made to be as reliable as say pushing a pedal on the toilet and the poop drops through the trap door. That is simple and it works every time.

What I'm looking for is for you guys to tell me that I am wrong. I'm looking for owners that have moved up in model years that say that the benefits are far and away better than the negatives that are stuck in my mind.(and not just because it cost a bunch more money)

I should be out working on that stuck Sporlan valve, but it's too cold out.

David Hollis 84FC35 Springfield,IL
Old 01-05-2009
Gardner

David,
I do agree with you on the complication factor. It's much tougher to find a problem since there is no mechanical linkage to follow. But it's nice when it's all working!
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-05-2009
Administrator

I really can not help with your decision, but this is a great posting, It will make Ya think long and hard.
Maybe decide if your needs have changed, such as more space, more power, bigger bed, more amenities etc. longer trips, 1/2 or full-timing.
more is not always better,
look at later model FC's many changes between 85 and 89, 5 speed, internal retarder, Queen bed, better steering , added HP, Corian, gennie moved to rear street side, much quieter ,brighter colors...etc.
For all Birds pricing is in the buyers favor.
Old 01-05-2009

David, you would have to pry us out of our '80, for all the reasons you mention.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 01-05-2009

I really don't have a need for anything else. I'm just always looking for another project.

I agree that the 87-89 FCs are very attractive.

I have a Wanderlodge instead of a shrink.

David Hollis 84FC35 Springfield IL
Old 01-05-2009

Default Is it worth it

The simple answer is of course it's not worth it. How often do we let that stop us? Go for it if you want it and you better believe it's cheaper then "help". I can relate. I have to have a project. Have too.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 01-05-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add to