Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-12-2009
Gardner

Randy,
It sounds like a job for a slide hammer. I will have to see if there is a way to conect one.

My wood lathe uses a #2 (I think) taper for the drive points. If they slip it really buggers up the mating surfaces. Otherwise I would take out the bolt and crank up the Perkins. There must be a procedure or special tool to do the job.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-13-2009

On most tapers, a whack that's 90 degrees to the taper will free it. Meaning if you whack the rotor on it's outer surface, trying to drive it sideways to the taper, it breaks free. Often it doesn't need much of a whack.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-13-2009

Default Kohler 12.5 Generator Rotor

Gardmer:

Like Randy said, it is a tapered shaft and having been on it all of those years, it might take a little extra effort to get it off. I would think a slide hammer would take it off, you can try what John said as well, but be careful, otherwise you might me in the same boat as me LOL.

By the way, it is much easier to take the slide right out of the bus, or the generator that is, rather than do it like I did while I was under the bus, that thing is heavy
Old 06-13-2009
Forum owner

I tried for several hours to get one off,without hurting it.
I never did get it apart.
A BIG slide hammer may do the trick,that rotor is so massive that it will absorb the impact of a small one.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-13-2009
Forum owner

i use a forklift to remove the gen slide,but i have used a cherry picker,the cherry picker works pretty good.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-13-2009
Gardner

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Since I want to replace the engine pan gaskets and rear main seal, I will need to pull the whole thing out anyway. Where I store it they have a backhoe and will give me a hand lifting it out. I want to label ALL of the wires and take pictures and make notes before starting the job.

While I am at it I will inspect the generator bearings, brushes, slip rings, etc.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-13-2009

I have an 85 PT40 with Kohler genset. It keeps killing the genset battery, so I think the alternator on the generator may be bad (if it has one?!). Anyway, I unlatched the genset retainer under the front bumper, but i can't get the genset to come out! What do I need to know that I don't currently? When I pull on it, it'll move about 3/4 of inch (enough to make the exhaust noisy) but then it moves back. Is there another latch i'm missing?
Old 06-13-2009

Also, i'm looking for the air system outlet for airing up tires, etc. I'd like to make an adapter so I can air up the bus without running the engine. Anyone know what compartment it's in, or where in the engine compartment I should look? I've looked everywhere, can't find anything that looks like air!
Old 06-13-2009
Forum owner

Raleigh,you do know that the generator slide is "powered",you push a button and it powers out,and the same button powers it back in.
The air hose connection is in the bay with your power cords,its a quick connect type of fitting,sticking out of the back or side wall of the electric bay.
I don't think you can charge the air system through that fitting,but in the engine bay on the curb side,just above the bumper theres a schrader valve,a tire valve,you can charge the unit at that valve.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-13-2009

Angry gen movement

Randy, thanks! I didn't see your name anywhere in Hot Rod Magazines April Maxton coverage. Sure you were there, though. While I was giving someone time to reply I went out and did some more digging. I didn't know the genset had a power slide, but I do now, and it works fine! Don't know about the gen alternator though, because when I tried to start genset, it misfired and the starter drive sounded funny. Now nothing happens! Guess I killed the genset battery again, I'll go start charging it. Looked everywhere you suggested for air, will look again. If it will output air, why wouldn't it accept charge air? Or do these absurdly complicated machines have back flow preventers on air systems? On later birds, I've read that they actually had on board compressors to charge the system without running the engine, which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

BTW, just to add insult to injury, I started the bus, aired it up, and attempted to rais the leveling system. My original goal today was to raise the front tires sufficiently to put boards under them, as my inadequate driveway has sunk under the front axle load and effectively locked the bus in place. To my horror, when I tried to extend the jacks, they neatly punched two large holes in my obviously pitiful concrete driveway and buried themselves!!!!! So, my new job is to excavate and retrieve the jacks, then hire someone to come pull the bus out of it's near permanent resting place