Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-17-2016

Default Sound thru A Stereo Receiver

Question. I have a Dish Network system plugged in to a TV running thru a stereo receiver. Using HDMI cables This seems to have killed the internal speakers on the TV. I've been to the menu and can't seem to get them on. Seems like there should be a way to play both the amplified speakers as well as internal. The reason I want to do that is because I have TV's hooked up one front and one back and I'd like the internal speakers to play on the back TV.

You TV guys any thoughts. Am I missing something?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-17-2016

Is the receiver HDMI?
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 10-17-2016

Yes HDMI from the dish receiver to the stereo receiver then HDMI out to the tv's

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-17-2016

Not sure on this, sounds like the receiver is stripping the audio and just sending the video to the TV. Maybe try a HDMI splitter and send the signal to the TV in the rear before sending the signal to the receiver.

That make sense?

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - FOR SALE!
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 10-17-2016

Joe that might be a solution. Seems like it shouldn't be necessary but thst might be a way around it

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-18-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

John, been awhile since I looked at our set up, that includes ruku, and a DVD player, plus Ethernet. I think our dish receiver has multiple outputs, and one being a fiber optic sound, which we route to the surround sound. I know there is sound on both because we have to use the TV sound when on air antenna.
And we can leave the dish music on with the TV off.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-18-2016

Default UP DATE

Well, this morning I checked and I don't have sound from the internal speakers up front either. That means that it's not a bad HDMI cable which was my fear. It may be something that needs to be "set" in the menu of the stereo receiver???

Just don't understand why the HDMI connection would kill the internal speakers in BOTH TV's. NEVER EASY IS IT?

I will not have time until later this afternoon to fool with this.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-18-2016

Default GOT IT !!

Even a blind squirrel..... I discovered that if I went in to the menu of the stereo receiver under HDMI settings I could make it work. I've got to write the sequence down because I'll forget the process. Some of this occurs when you completely shut down the power to these devices.

Thanks for listening. It gets frustrating when you know there is a way to do some of this stuff but you are short about 20% on what you need to know.

I get things done but it takes me three or four tries more often then not. Some times a lot more then three or four tries. I find myself doing the same thing that isn't working over and over not taking the best advice I ever got from a fellow. His question to me was "how long are you going to continue doing what isn't working"

Between some hints from you fellows and googling some questions to AV forums I got just enough information to stumble onto the solution. Now write it down and on to the next challenge.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-18-2016

John,

The receiver will strip the sound out. Why send sound to the TV, since you are using the receiver for sound (so the thinking goes). Are you using the receiver to select the video input? If not then I would run sound separate from your Dish receiver to receiver. If you use your TV to select the input, you may be able to run sound from your TV to your receiver and there should be a menu selection on the TV to turn that on or off. Be aware that some receivers have a delay to process HDMI signals so depending on your solution (HDMI splitter) you may have a slight delay in sound and picture which is only an big issue if you are playing karaoke (don't ask how I know).
Herndon, VA
Old 10-18-2016

Dan the issue really was the rear TV. I didn't want a situation were I had to increase the sound coming from the stereo receiver and the speakers in the front of the bus if I was watching TV in the bed room. (especially if one of us was sleeping on the couch or reading or just didn't want to listen to the TV) I needed the flexibility to use either the sound through the individual TV's internal speakers or if I was up front and wanted the better sound coming out of the stereo system I could do that.

There are a number of different ways to connect these devices and there are apparently compatibility issues as well. The issue really has to do with having two TVs and only one out from the Wally dish RV receiver. In a home you would have the Joey units which would have negated my problem. This Wally thing isn't designed to run two TV's

Fortunately I stumbled into being able to do what I wanted to do.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold