Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-04-2019
The Camel Caravan

Default Newbie questions on toad electric hookup

I need some help with power for the toad lights, etc. while towing a 2008 CRV with my 1993 WB40.

I have a Roadmaster Falcon tow-bar. The CRV has a Roadmaster base plate. I also have a Brake Buddy II system which needs power, of course.

1. How do I get power from the bus to the toad? Currently I do not have any cable to connect the 'Bird to the CRV. Are 4 pins enough pins for the job? Should I buy a 7-pin to 4pin adapter cable to do this? Or do I need a 7 pin to a junction box? Or is there a different or better way considering my equipment?

2. What are the pros and cons of different lighting methods for the CRV? Magnetic lights, or a diode system, or the systems that require adding a bulb to the taillights, etc? Magnetic lights seem the simplest considering that the toad will only be used sparingly. I've read some say the diode system can damage the toad system. I don't mind drilling the lights to install the extra bulb if needed in some systems.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
1993 Wanderlodge WB40
Old 07-04-2019

The quickest and easiest way to put lights on the toad is a pair of magnetic lights. You will also need a 7:4 pin adapter for the lights. A set costs around $15 at Harbor Freight and can be found at other fine discount outlets. A 4 pin trailer connector contains the three necessary wires for the lights (left turn signal/brake, right turn signal/brake, running) and a return. 7 pin adds leads for other functions; a trailering guide will give pin numbers and functions.

There are a couple of alternatives for more permanent solutions; one is to drill extra holes in the brake light reflectors, install additional bulb sockets and bulbs in these holes, and then wire them to a connector near the front of the toad. The second is to cut into the existing vehicle wiring and, using diodes, add wires connecting to the front of the toad and then to the coach.

Advantage of extra socket: no interference with toad wiring.
Downside of extra socket: a little unsightly and loss of some light from existing lamp.

A second issue that will arise is the necessity of having the key in the accessory position while towing. The stock battery on a CR-V is a group 51, which is just slightly bigger than I've seen on lawn tractors. If you forget to pull the appropriate fuse (consult the owner's manual) your battery will be dead in 5-6 hours of towing.

As it happens, a battery tray from an Odyssey will fit in the CR-V battery space and hold a group 24F battery with about twice the capacity. You don't even have to change the hold-down.

It's possible to feed power from your coach into the electrical system on your toad. I haven't done sufficient research on this to attempt it; severe voltage drops when starting either engine may lead to excessive current in the connection. Changing to the larger battery and pulling the fuse has sufficed for me. I will be carrying a charger and extension cord so that when I'm running several days without using the toad I can ensure that the battery stays near full charge.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 07-05-2019

I used these diodes when I wired mine, super easy and fast no cutting or splicing. Depending on how large your tail light housing is may limit putting an additional bulb socket in. Diodes only allow current to flow one way you won’t have any issues with power going the wrong direction or feeling back to the toad.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56305.../dp/B00JPINH0S

I also ran a 12volts hot lead from the coach to my toad to power a RVI toad battery charger. I tapped into wire in the coach and added a switch and a fuse.
I have a Blue Ox Patriot brake system that uses the toweds lighter plug.
The 7 pin tow cable has a pin that is designated for 12volt power if you look at a schematic for wiring the cable. I probably could have just ran the 12volt to a separate lighter plug, but I installed a new plug off the toweds battery that I also have switched so I can have it powered without the ignition on.

It’s easy breezy to just plug in the cable, hook up the car and go.
Doing magnet lights probably isn’t that much more to deal with but it’s definitely a little more to deal with.

https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...SABEgJfg_D_BwE
Old 07-05-2019

eTrailer has kits for your car, with instructions that are better than my ability to explain it to you.
eTrailer 2008 Honda CR-V

I used a kit similar to this one for my Avalanche. The hardest part was routing the wires under the truck. If you have access to a lift or ramps it is really easy. Just unplug the lights, and plug the connectors in between. Just watch that the Left and Right are going to the right sides.

Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles
Item # HM56300
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 07-05-2019

Instead of having to pull a fuse each time you travel,1 have a switch installed that cuts the accessories off. On our ‘14 CRV the battery will last much longer. It’s a cheap fix. Also, we have a brake buddy that needs constant electricity. We had a hot cigarette lighter plug installed in the console. Works for us.
Old 07-05-2019

One other thing you may want to decide. Are you going to pull fuses, install a Towed Battery Charger, or install a Tow/Drive switch?

Since you need power for the brake buddy, you will likely want the battery charger at least. I ran a separate power line for my brake system from the charger connectors. In theory I could have the battery removed and still have brake system power from the RV. Power to the charger runs down the tow connection 7 to 5 pin cable. You may have to add a power wire to your 7 pin connector on your bird.
Attached Files
File Type: doc TrailerLights.doc (209.5 KB, 23 views)
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 07-05-2019

It all sounds like a lot, but once you have it installed you're done other than the annual tightening of all the base plate bolts routine. Hang in there!
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 07-05-2019
The Camel Caravan

Default Thanks but need a clarification.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Learning a lot.

But, maybe I could get a clarification:

The lights use a 4 way connector. How do I get the power for the Brake Buddy w/its battery charger, using a 7pin to 4 way cable?

Do I need a 5 pin end on the cable, i.e. 4 pins for the lights and the 5th pin to run a power line to the Brake Buddy?

Thanks again.
1993 Wanderlodge WB40
Old 07-05-2019

IMHO I wouldn't run a 4 pin but rather a 5 pin. The 5 Pin allows you to provide coach electrical to the towed. I don't even know if they make a heavy duty 4 pin cable like our monster 7 pin to 5 pin cables.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 07-05-2019
The Camel Caravan

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
IMHO I wouldn't run a 4 pin but rather a 5 pin. The 5 Pin allows you to provide coach electrical to the towed. I don't even know if they make a heavy duty 4 pin cable like our monster 7 pin to 5 pin cables.

Hi. If you don't mind answering, what make/model cable do you use?
1993 Wanderlodge WB40