Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-04-2019

Default wire soldering

Not a wanderlodge issue but could be!

Has anyone used any of the butt connectors with the soldering ring built in? The attached picture is the wiring harness from my daughters 2001 Jeep XJ front door where it travels from door to jam. It has 3 broken wires and several that the insulation is broken but wires are intact. Not sure if these connectors will hold up from constant flexing in the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	65031   Click image for larger version

Name:	self solder.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	65032  

Craig & Michelle Shannon
Huntertown, IN
1982 FC 35 SB
Old 11-04-2019

Yes, don't use them. They are a PITA to crimp without hosing up the insulation and you don't want to solder a joint like that. Get some uninsulated crimp butts and heat shrink tubing.

EDIT: I see these are non-crimp, but you still don't want a solder joint!
Old 11-04-2019

The marine grade heat shrink adhesive crimp butt splices are very good. I prefer Ancor brand but have used others as well, just don’t get the cheap ones. They are easy to crimp and the insulating plastic is somewhat flexible, not rigid. They are designed for high vibration and should hold up well to door wire bundle flexing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one fail.
Old 11-04-2019

I guess I am just a little confused. If the wires broke at the point they did because that is the flex point and you add a butt connector at that same place how will the wire flex there when the door is opened and closed ? The butt connector will be about a 1" piece that is completelyrigid.
Old 11-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
I guess I am just a little confused. If the wires broke at the point they did because that is the flex point and you add a butt connector at that same place how will the wire flex there when the door is opened and closed ? The butt connector will be about a 1" piece that is completely rigid.
I have that same concern! I'm waiting on my Amazon delivery of some crimpless connectors and uninsulated connectors with marine heat shrink. I will do a few test connections to see how they hold and how they flex before fixing the broken wires. For those wires that are losing their insulation my plan is to cut them in an area where there is no flex and then run marine grade heat shrink up over the area where they do flex. I'll have to look closely to make sure there isn't any wire breakage before proceeding with this plan.

I'll try to remember to post pictures of the results.

Craig & Michelle Shannon
Huntertown, IN
1982 FC 35 SB
Old 11-05-2019

My 03 Ram's rear doors suffer from the same problem. The wires are normally bent around and sit there when the door is closed, but opening the door stretches them out. Really a poor design. The best way to fix them is to use solderless crimp terminals and heat shrink over them. Of all the places to put a stiff soldered connection this is the worst. If the crimpless/solder butts are stiff enough to prevent breakage due to the soldered joint then they are just going to add an additional stress points when the wires flex.

https://www.mcmaster.com/7227k32 butts
https://www.mcmaster.com/6855k12 heat shrink
Old 11-05-2019

Y'all might consider getting a length of flexing service wire (fine strands) and use two splices to replace the failed piece, moving the splices away from the flexing section.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 11-05-2019

I agree with using flexible wire and moving the splices away from the flex area. Also anytime I have used heat shrink it also stiffened the wire appreciably.