Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-21-2019

Default Electric shock

Howdy guy,
My apologies for not being on here much these days. Just trying to get settled into our new normal on the road full time. It's been a bit of an adjustment...in a good way.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had electrical issue while plugged into a home 15 amp. Hubby touched the drives side rear view mirror and got a nice zap. He then touched the corner of one of the lights that was metal and was again zapped. He then unplugged us and no more zapping. So is the problem with us or are we plugged into a bad outlet? Will it harm us to stay plugged in? Anything electrical scares me.
Thanks in advance

Ps. We are doing a bathroom remodel. Pics coming soon.
Old 05-21-2019

I've run into this before. I have an 83 FC, so there are some differences.

If you can plug into another shore power source you could learn if it is just that shore power source or not.

You could run your generator then test for the shock you would learn if it is your 110V AC wiring or not.

If it is your 110V AC you can turn off your circuit breakers one at a time to learn where you have a short to the skin of your RV.

I ended up discovering that my engine pre-heater was bad and whenever it was turned on touching any of the metal on of the bus while grounded (standing on the ground with no insulators, bare foot) would give you a good jolt.

Good luck. Be careful!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 05-21-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMachuga View Post
Howdy guy,
My apologies for not being on here much these days. Just trying to get settled into our new normal on the road full time. It's been a bit of an adjustment...in a good way.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had electrical issue while plugged into a home 15 amp. Hubby touched the drives side rear view mirror and got a nice zap. He then touched the corner of one of the lights that was metal and was again zapped. He then unplugged us and no more zapping. So is the problem with us or are we plugged into a bad outlet? Will it harm us to stay plugged in? Anything electrical scares me.
Thanks in advance

Ps. We are doing a bathroom remodel. Pics coming soon.
15 amps may not be enough to even charge batteries , and no other appliances can be used.
But I would guess that to get plugged in 15 amps/110volts there is a series of wire and one or more adapters then the household plug.
May be losing ground along the way. or at the bus or the house.
Old 05-21-2019
Forum owner

If you want to use a 15amp cord you need to plug that cord into a battery charger,keep the batteries charged and use the inverter for power.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyndes View Post
I've run into this before. I have an 83 FC, so there are some differences.

If you can plug into another shore power source you could learn if it is just that shore power source or not.

You could run your generator then test for the shock you would learn if it is your 110V AC wiring or not.

If it is your 110V AC you can turn off your circuit breakers one at a time to learn where you have a short to the skin of your RV.

I ended up discovering that my engine pre-heater was bad and whenever it was turned on touching any of the metal on of the bus while grounded (standing on the ground with no insulators, bare foot) would give you a good jolt.

Good luck. Be careful!
hmmm, that's interesting. We switched off a few of the switches connected with the bathroom to see if maybe there was a short there but we didn't find anything. the bathroom is completely dismantled. we will continue looking tomorrow. Thanks
Old 05-21-2019

Stop using the 15 amp cord and power source as you are losing neutral and the ground is acting as such and electrifying the skin of the coach. This happens with mobile homes and you can purchase a proximity voltage sensor to detect this, so stop now.

You could also have the ground and neutral swapped in the outlet or the cord you are using, but get it tested.

This is how people are electrocuted or burn down their dwelling.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 05-21-2019

Cynthia, when I bring mine to the house and have only 110/15A, I run two cords, one to the fridge and one to the surge protector that runs the battery chargers when I plug them into that and not the onboard outlets. That mirrors Randy's suggestion. My coach is mostly 12V so that helps!
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 05-21-2019

I would not use that or any outlet that is causing a "HOT SKIN" condition. For your own and others safety unplug.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-22-2019

On a positive note...hot dogs can be quickly heated using the mirror instead of your power hungry microwave
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 05-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
If you want to use a 15amp cord you need to plug that cord into a battery charger,keep the batteries charged and use the inverter for power.
Just to make sure I understand, we should get a battery charger like this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-7...10/300385154)? We hook that up to the batteries and then run off of that?

The odd thing about the shock is that it is only on the left side of the bus. I have the bus unplugged currently. I checked the outlet that I was plugged into and it is grounded and proper.

Just trying to figure out the best way to visit family and friends in their driveways and keep the bus safe and usable.

Moh Machuga
Full-Time USA
Bushnell, FL
1997 WB 41'