Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-16-2010

Default Chassis Heat

Help, we don't have any heat from the chassis heat controls on the dash and we don't have hot water when we get to our destination. I am guessing that there is a gate value clossed somewhere but haven't found but 2, which are both open. Does anyone have a drawing for a 93 WB with 8V92 and where the gate values should be. I have looked throughout the form but I didn't locate this information. We don't need the heat now but I want to be ready for our September and October outings. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-16-2010
Gardner

I have read in other posts that the gate valves can fail and separate internally. The handle seems to turn and open, but the gate is stuck closed. I am not sure about additional electric valves that may also be in the circuit. IIn my '83 FC there is a relay that selects the bypass (Hw heater only) or pass through (hw heater and chassis heat) mode. This controlls Sporlan valves that control the flow.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-16-2010
Administrator

Bruce,
I can not help But there were previous posts on 6V & 8V gate valves. there are 4 or 5 valves, Search Gate valves, or Curt Sprenger and Shane can help.
Old 07-16-2010

On the 8V and 6V engines, you have a gate valve on the foot of the water pump and usually one branching out of the top side of the water pump. Then there is a single one behind the bumper near the rear pulley mount on the engine. Finally, there is usually one on the right side near the dipstick. You may also have one up on the frame rail where the hoses run to the water heater. Your coach is much newer than mine, but you could also have a winter/summer switch on the summer setting and/or a stripped valve shaft in one of the gate valves. You really can't tell until you take them apart, and that involves draining alot of coolant.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-17-2010

If you have one of those slide switch controls, it cycles a control valve which is located under the right front bumper area. So the problem could be the switch not cycling, the valve not working, or gate valves.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 07-17-2010
Geek

When the screw center of a gate valve corrodes, the gate drops off the screw to the closed position. You can usually tell this has happened because the handle will spin forever in either direction.

I initially thought I had only two gate valves, the obvious upper ones. I replaced both with ball valves, and on inspection both were in decent condition. Then I learned about the one at the bottom of the water pump, and one low on the other side. The one below the water pump would just spin on mine. I couldn't see any way to get this one out (Shane replaced his when he had the water pump off), so I removed the core and replaced it with one from the removed upper valves. That solved the hot water circulation problem on mine.

I have kept the remaining valve for its spare core. That should keep me going for the next few years, at least.

The valve at the lower right on mine is a slightly different size, so the cores I have wouldn't work there. I don't know if it came from the factory that way, or was previously replaced with a different valve.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 07-17-2010

Thanks for all the information but now I have another question. I do have the summer/winter switch, so do I need to have that switch in the winter position in order to get chassis heat? Here in the northwest we don't use the summer position that often but we were dry camping over the 4th of July and used the summer position so we could have hot water through the primus.
Old 07-17-2010

I had no chassis heat on my 36 SP. Problem wasn't gate valves. It was a failed, small in-line electric pump on the coolant line from the engine/radiator to the front of the bus. Under the bus, driver's side, aft of the rear wheels as I recall
Elgin, Il

Blue bird #2
Old 08-02-2010
Chegment

Default Gate valves

Gate valves are prone to several failure modes. I recommend replacing them with ball valves. These are easily found in the two national Home supply companies, in the plumbing sections. The china made units are inexpensive and appear to be very robust in construction. Stainless ball riding in a nylon bearing.

Every gate valve I had was "frozen", or would not operate. The ball valves I replaced them with are just great.

The solenoid operated valves were also not working very well. Also replaced them with ball valves. It's not that difficult to manually operate these valves when heat is needed.

Are you in South America? We've just had the hottest July on record in most of the States.
Connecticut 06089
Old 08-02-2010
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
Are you in South America? We've just had the hottest July on record in most of the States.
There are always some exceptions. Here at my home base (Eureka, CA) the highest temperature in July was 64, and there were 12 days where the high did not reach 60.

The all-time record high for July is 76, reached in 1931, 1985 and 1992.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1