Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-14-2008
popeye

Default Perkins won't stay running

I started the genny this morning and went inside to get a cup of coffee. Just as I was getting into the caffeine I heard the genny falter, then pick up, falter, pick up and then die. I aired the coach, opened the tray and tried again. It started and ran briefly, then died. When it was running the shaft from the fuel governor to the solenoid was moving back and forth, and the genny rising and dying accordingly.

It strick me at the time as a fuel delivery issue so I changed out the filter, bled the system and tried again. Nothing at first, then it finally started but won't contintue to run unless I hold down the start switch, or hold the solenoid shaft.

So where do I look next? All fuel connections are tight, and all the electrical connections I can see are tight. I saw an earlier post about contacts on brushes but couldn't associate what I was reading with what I've seen.

Is there any way to bypass the solenoid to see if that is the issue?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2008
Administrator

Try to direct connect 12 volts to the fuel solenoid.
Old 05-14-2008
Forum owner

peter,while holding the fuel solenoid to keep the gennie running have Margaret look at the generator volt gauges,they should be making power while the gennie is running,if no power it could be the voltage regulator.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-15-2008
popeye

Tomorrow is "generator" day, after a sand & tape session for varnish on the cap rails (boat). Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, I'll let you know what I find.
Old 05-15-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Peter,

If you need a schematic of the generator circuitry, I can email you one.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-20-2008
popeye

Default Perkins won't stay running

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well.... here's the update, and it ain't pretty.

Seems that the rear bearing on the rotor split in two... 1/2 was metal shards in the bottom of the casing, the other half I'm going to hang from the rear view mirror. When the bearing left the rotor took on a life of its own, tearing itself apart and scoring the bell housing on the way. All of this stressed the voltage regulator which took the opportunity to check out. All this just from removing the inspection plate at the back end of the unit.

The rotor is still available through Kohler ($1,700) but that may be a moot point because the bell housing is not. Even assuming that a machine shop could mill the housing an put insert a sleeve/collar to accept the bearing I just have this suspicion that Mr. Murphy is still lurking in the background. With a 25 year old unit does it make much sense to try to rehab it?

Anyone done a generator replacement/upgrade project recently? I was given three names - Onan Quiet Diesel, Powertech, and WRICO (Eugene, OR) as good units. I haven't checked prices yet so any input will be appreciated.

Voltless in Seattle
Old 05-20-2008
Administrator

Wow PopEye Peter,

Sorry to hear about this catastrophic failure,

I can not help , But there have been several posts on replacement,
rebuilds, or a used unit available, But remembering these posts are
difficult,
John Finn always has the best memory and knows every post by date and posting number.
Someone will probably have some better info available.

Try doing a search on this site and the Old Wanderlodge Site
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/wanderlodge/
Old 05-20-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well.... here's the update, and it ain't pretty.

Seems that the rear bearing on the rotor split in two... 1/2 was metal shards in the bottom of the casing, the other half I'm going to hang from the rear view mirror. When the bearing left the rotor took on a life of its own, tearing itself apart and scoring the bell housing on the way. All of this stressed the voltage regulator which took the opportunity to check out. All this just from removing the inspection plate at the back end of the unit.

The rotor is still available through Kohler ($1,700) but that may be a moot point because the bell housing is not. Even assuming that a machine shop could mill the housing an put insert a sleeve/collar to accept the bearing I just have this suspicion that Mr. Murphy is still lurking in the background. With a 25 year old unit does it make much sense to try to rehab it?

Anyone done a generator replacement/upgrade project recently? I was given three names - Onan Quiet Diesel, Powertech, and WRICO (Eugene, OR) as good units. I haven't checked prices yet so any input will be appreciated.

Voltless in Seattle
Replaced Kohler/Perkins with PowerTech/Kubota

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-23-2008

Default generator repower

My perkins is leaking about a 1/2 quart a day. I don't think it is coming from the front or rear seals, it looks like I may have some leaking gaskets. I've got a diesel guy coming to look at it. In the meantime I am looking at an IZUZU compact generator. A friend has one at his fish camp out in the marsh near Grand Isle LA. We use it all night long on just a few gallons of diesel. It has been running almost every night for several years. I found an outfit on ebay that sells them and for less than $6,000 I can get a 12 KW that will easily fit on the slide. In fact I believe it is smaller than the Perkins. So If it looks like my Perkins is more trouble than its worth, I'm going to sell it and go with the IZUZU. Ken...................................
Old 05-23-2008
Timberlake Products Group

There is a 12.5 KW Kohler Perkins BlueBird pullout on Ebay right now. Might be of some use? It is in east central Illinois. Thanks for setting up the link Mr. Finn!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KOHLER-DIESEL-GE...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Turbokitty; 05-24-2008 at 12:11 PM.