Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 04-12-2011

Default Transmission Over Heating???

When we got our coach the xmission temp gauge... had a new one put in but it seem to read high... took the coach to WW Williams last year and their computer showed the gauge reads a little over 100 degrees high... so I have lived with it...

Today we arrived at our destination and I put it in Neutral (?) or thats where I thought it was... I set the brake and unhooked and had to check in the Host... this took about 20 minutes... when I got back in the coach the temp was almost at 400... I shifted it into neutral and the pad showed it was indeed in neutral... I shifted back to drive and drove to our site... I did notice the temp was coming down some...

I am parked for a month and tomorrow I am going to look at the dip stick for fluid color... if its red I am hoping that I will be okay... if its brown I guess I need allison to come and change it and the filters... funny I just had it serviced 2 weeks ago...

any suggestions
"Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Old 04-12-2011

you really need a infared temp gun..........
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-12-2011

Mike... I have one... where should I aim it
Old 04-12-2011

bottom of trans, sump temp is the real deal. No way it should get that hot idling in N, calls the temp sender into question.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-12-2011

Mike... my fault... I thought it was in neutral... actually it was still in drive... when I got back in the coach thats when I pressed neutral again and it shifted
Old 04-12-2011
Former Bird Owner

All the while I owned my '95 (series 60/allison) I never experienced a high or even unusual transmission temperature... including after long periods of idling or even when I was having some difficulties with engine temperatures.

My first suspect would be the transmission cooling system. If your coach is like mine, the transmission is cooled by a secondary radiator attached to the main water radiator. (The newer Series 60 coaches had the engine moved lower, so I'm not sure what, if any, changes were made to the radiator as a result.) It is possible that the radiator has become fouled with "oily dirt build-up" ... however, the location and installation of the radiator makes it extremely difficult to inspect for this problem. The area swept by the fan is typically clear, so light is easily observed through the center part of the radiator, leading one to believe that it is OK. However, the area outside the fan circumference is where the problem develops -- and from the inside, the fan shroud makes it near-impossible to view that area -- and from the outside, the charge air cooler is in front of the radiator -- and (for a variety of reasons) it does not collect the sticky dirt.

So, the secondary question is, are you having any troubles with engine temps -- even if they just seem slightly elevated. I note that when I picked up my coach, the engine temps ran slightly warmer (on my maiden trip) than I'd expected ... but I had no serious concerns until I hit some heavy grades coming west across eastern Nevada... where I had serious problems having to pull off for cool-downs quite frequently just to make it over the grades. (After I got home, the first thing I did was have the radiator pulled, where I discovered that it was seriously plugged ... I chose to replace the core with a "staggered tube" design. Subsequently, I rarely saw the water temperature move from 180 ... and only on extremely challenging grades (e.g. east on I-70 approaching Aspen at 10,000+ ft.) did it rise to 195 (well below the redline). [The oil temp was another issue, but not relevant to this discussion.]

So, my first guess is a radiator problem.

If you had 'honest' temperature about 300, I'd be very concerned that the fluid was scorched. I used TranSynd synthetic fluid in my transmission ... it tends to hold up better than the dinosaur products.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-12-2011

I agree with all the foregoing.
However, consider these thoughts.
1. If WW checked it and it was normal the gauge has been reading normal at 270-300 while actually running at 170-200. Is that close?
2. If the sender was installed with dope it can read faulty because its ground is compromised.
3. The sender must be matched with the gauge index or it will read wrong.
4. Coaches with a retarder can run the temp to 375 degrees as I recall. It is marked by a red section on the gauge.

So you may or may not have a real issue other than leaving the bus in drive. That could ruin your whole day.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 04-12-2011

Hmmm,

Does your LX have the automatic safety door lock? I can't open my door unless trans is in nuetral. I could not get to the toad to unhook with the trans in gear.

Color is an indicator in transmission fluid, but so is smell. On my MIL truck the trans fluid did not look bad but smelled burnt. Immediate fluid change was completed.

X2 on IR thermometer check of the actual temps.

I do not know if you have VDOs guages but, my experience with VDO temp guages is they read higher if the 12 volts to them is low.

Good luck.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad