Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-13-2019

Default Windshield Washer Fluid Tank Level Switch

My windshield washer fluid tank low level dash light came on so I went to fill it and found it full. Okay, so the level switch must be bad or the terminations or both. Thinking the switch might be integral to the pump I removed it and found none. No sign of a switch from outside the tank, just two ring lugged wires and two screw heads on the side of the plastic tank wall near the bottom about an inch and half apart. Drained the tank and removed the screws expecting to find a switch lying in the bottom of the tank. The screws turned out to be #12 x 1-1/4" stainless sheet metal screws threaded through the thin plastic tank wall with no sign of a switch inside or anywhere at all to be found. Connecting the two wires together made the dash light go out. Cleaned the screws good and relugged the wires, filled the tank, turn on ignition power and dash light is out! A very simple switch with the screws as contacts and the fluid as a conductor between them, similar to a mercury tilt switch. I believe this has to be a BB design because the installation looked factory and untouched and because there must be a relay circuit involved because the light comes on when the fluid level drops and uncovers the top screw switch contact breaking that circuit.

I just thought I would post this for record because I found nothing about it doing a search and it was an interesting and simple find in the world of these overly complicated machines. I had already installed the bottom screw when the picture was taken, so only one "switch contact" is visible and its also side ways because I forgot to turn my phone for a landscape shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	428AB727-7E98-4FEA-B372-166E807AFA30.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	60656  

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42
Old 03-13-2019

Andy,

Somewhere in the past someone posted that to get the light to work properly you have to add a little salt to the reservoir. My light was never on, and I use very little fluid, so I saw no need to do that. Sounds like a good cleaning is a much better solution.
Old 03-13-2019
Administrator

Thanks Andy, good current write up.
This was discussed in the long past, maybe the old forum.
I'm thinking salt would add to the corrosion, the screws act as probes, same as water in fuel, water in filter, and the unreliable tank sensors
Old 03-13-2019
Forum owner

The BB holding tank sensors work the same way.
When people started using RO systems and pure water in their fresh water tank the sensors quit working,they needed minerals in the water to "make" the connection.

I worked on an auto fill system for fresh water tanks a long time ago,i used a 5 gal bucket with stainless screws in the side as sensors,i had Fabco build me a water valve that would close when the bucket got full,and Dave Smead at Ample power made me a small circuit board that would turn the water valve on and off.

It worked pretty good but it was hard to market and BB was going through owners about like Sears and nobody would commit to using it.
Later on BB did come up with one and its used on the LXI,and maybe more models.

My version would piggyback off of the existing tank sensors,no new screws required (on birds anyway)

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-13-2019

Another way to do it is to use a NO float that turns on when the level is low triggering the light. No relay necessary and float costs 20 bucks. Too big for windshield bottle but would work in holding tanks. Gets tiring looking at level from above. We are at the point that we just dump every 7 days, whether we need to or not.
Old 03-13-2019
Forum owner

Oh yeah,lots of ways to do it,but just think,my way was an easy retrofit for almost every bird out there.
it even worked with a sporlan valve,all you needed was my little controller.
Thats was way back around 95 or so.
long time ago!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com