Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-08-2012
The Hermit King

Default FC Rear Axle Oil Weight

Getting ready to pick up my youngest daughters children in two weeks, and head out with with my oldest daughter and her beau, and their camper (SOB) to the Wisconsin Dells. ( any advice on places to see or do is most welcome, as are anything to avoid works also )

We are getting the bird ready, oil, greasing, ect... Got our first oil test of the engine back, every thing is looking great.

Anyway, back to my question, Been doing my best to find out the oil gear weight for 1982 FCSB rear axle. I see were some put in 90 weight and others the 85-140 gear oil. Checked on mine, the top magnet was good (small gray matter) oil still looks fresh has 6000 miles since my son and I changed it, we used the 85-140 oil last time. Which is right weight that one should be using. Thanks Bruce

Last edited by lindgren; 07-09-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2012
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I used a multi-viscosity in mine too.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 07-09-2012

I use the same viscosity but ours does call for synthetic.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 07-09-2012
The Hermit King

Thanks for the info.

Cirt with the synthetic you put in what is the brand that you use, we did our transmission this year with the Allison TranSynd oil (spendy stuff) - but nothing but the best for the old girl. The previous owner took care of the bird, but over the years he owned it, he didnt keep all of his bluebook together.(an old age thing with him)
Old 07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
I use the same viscosity but ours does call for synthetic.
A 1980 Bird "calls" for synthetic?? Really?

I wouldn't run synthetic in older engines but it does work well in tranny's and gearboxes, although I did not go that route. My brother (heavy hauler) swears by it as he's seen temps go down after changing to it. I'd be VERY concerned about cleaning out the old oil VERY well before putting in synthetic though.

I don't feel I put enough wear and tear on mine to justify the expense and labor of cleaning out all the old stuff.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 07-09-2012

Honest to god, tag on the axle says so, we use rottella I believe.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 07-09-2012

Quote:
WOW.. I believe you.. just surprised. Maybe I'd better take a second look at mine!
Old 07-09-2012
The Hermit King

Me too - Ill let you know what I find
Old 07-09-2012

Quote:
I wonder if someone simply changed it over to synthetic and then put the tag on to identify the oil as synthetic for future oil changes?
Old 07-09-2012
The Hermit King

Checked on mine and only found the ID tag and numbers from Rockwell MI.