Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 03-24-2018

Default Air Brakes and Air Pressure questions

I have been having what I feel is a brake issue with my Bird. I have driven big trucks for 20 plus years and the Bird just doesn't stop like I think it should.
I know it's not going to stop like a car but it should stop as good as a loaded semi, shouldn't it??

I had a conversation with Monti, from M&G brake systems at the FMCA Rally. My question was about the system on my TOAD no seeming to work as good as it should and could it be adjusted???

He said they are designed to operate at 90psi max brake application pressure and that I should check that first.

I ran the tanks up to 120psi+ and then put a guage in the TOAD connection. When I stomp on the brakes the max pressure is 60psi

Knowing that the low pressure alarm is set to 60psi, my thought is that 60psi, would be correct for maximum braking, but is it???

Does anyone have a truck with an application pressure gauge?
What is the design max pressure for a brake chamber?

Can someone with an M&G system (or other air system tapped into the rear brakes) do a pressure check please??
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 03-25-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

For what it's worth, I get well over 90 psi at the Toad connection when the brake treadle is pushed hard.

I think that 100 psi is considered the "minimum" full application pressure for my MGM service brake chambers.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-25-2018

I'm guessing the Toad brakes do not work like Bus air brakes. That being they will be full on with no air as a safety. That being said, low air = less brakes perhaps? or - if they do work the same, by air overcoming a spring, then perhaps they are dragging in your case from low air pressure and heated up and not working.

In either case I'm thinking my bus would still stop on a dime hauling a Toad of almost any size with no brakes on the Toad.

Better look into those brakes on the bus, every slack adjuster, every lining, drum, etc. One corner may very well be not working
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 03-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
For what it's worth, I get well over 90 psi at the Toad connection when the brake treadle is pushed hard.

I think that 100 psi is considered the "minimum" full application pressure for my MGM service brake chambers.
Good to know and Thank you!
So, any ideas on what to check as to why I only get 60psi to the rear brake chambers? Does the air relay also regulate pressure??

I know there is a relay valve in the system. I guess I need to plumb in some more temporary gauge ports.

FYI, All my brakes except the tag axle have been fully serviced with new shoes and drums and related parts and are working, but apparently at 60psi max.

I have only checked one wheel (Right Drive) at this point but will be checking further as soon as I get a second test case back.
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 03-25-2018

HMMMM! There is also a limiting valve somewhere that limits the brake pressure at the drives when the parking brake is applied so it doesnt over torque the s-cam with the spring + air. I wonder if that valve could be bad and limiting drive axle brake pressure all the time??? More testing to follow....
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 03-25-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
HMMMM! There is also a limiting valve somewhere that limits the brake pressure at the drives when the parking brake is applied so it doesnt over torque the s-cam with the spring + air. I wonder if that valve could be bad and limiting drive axle brake pressure all the time??? More testing to follow....
Thats interesting.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-25-2018

Back in the 80's we got ten new fire engines and they had some brake issues. Technician came from Wagner and he had a suitcase with eight or ten pressure gauges and another with braided lines and T fittings. He said pressure at the brake chambers during a full application should be same as tank or supply pressure minus a few pounds. We put T fittings at the tank and all the brake chambers and they were very close when reading a full application. Final determination was the brake shoe composition was wrong. A ton of work went into getting to that point diagnosing the problem and every other part of the system got blamed before the culprit was found.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 03-25-2018

100 psi at the brake line port on the bumper.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 03-25-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Good to know and Thank you!
So, any ideas on what to check as to why I only get 60psi to the rear brake chambers? Does the air relay also regulate pressure??

I know there is a relay valve in the system. I guess I need to plumb in some more temporary gauge ports.

FYI, All my brakes except the tag axle have been fully serviced with new shoes and drums and related parts and are working, but apparently at 60psi max.

I have only checked one wheel (Right Drive) at this point but will be checking further as soon as I get a second test case back.
The air for my Toad brakes comes from one of the Tag Axle brake chambers.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-25-2018

Default you.tube anti-compounding video

Anti-compounding brake video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmrP_BxMfOI

http://www.gonefcon.com/trucktcom/br...ompounding.htm

Quote:
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401