Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-26-2020

Another thought, cutout the black box behind the tray and cubby door, the fans appear to behind this area..
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 03-26-2020

Some good ideas about access, I run them by my guys and see what they think and let everyone know.
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 03-27-2020

Here's what my guys reported. First, the access door would have to be larger than 18 inches by 18 inches and creating it would be more trouble than taking that section of the dash off; the problem they had was finding where the motors were.

Second, they found there was nothing wrong with the motors but they had lost their ground; not surprising since they operated intermittently for a while before stopping altogether. Life is full of expensive lessons especially when you have a motor coach. I often remind my wife when that a newer Prevost would only exacerbate the problems big time especially with all the electronics. A Rolls Royce dealer once told me the average American car had 2,500 parts and the average Rolls 12,500 parts expect more and expensive repairs. Hopefully if any of the WOG members have a similar problem they now know where to look.
Old 03-27-2020
FC Owner. Master of Bus Tetris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Here's what my guys reported. First, the access door would have to be larger than 18 inches by 18 inches and creating it would be more trouble than taking that section of the dash off; the problem they had was finding where the motors were.

Second, they found there was nothing wrong with the motors but they had lost their ground; not surprising since they operated intermittently for a while before stopping altogether. Life is full of expensive lessons especially when you have a motor coach. I often remind my wife when that a newer Prevost would only exacerbate the problems big time especially with all the electronics. A Rolls Royce dealer once told me the average American car had 2,500 parts and the average Rolls 12,500 parts expect more and expensive repairs. Hopefully if any of the WOG members have a similar problem they now know where to look.
Enjoy the A/C when you get it back.

Replace anything “cheap” and hard to get at while in there!

-Dennis (direct email please! dennis@wanderlodgeowner.com)
Hesperia, California

1987 FC31 “A Rare Bird”
(300HP 3208TA/ZF)

1983 FC35SB
(225HP 3208T/MT643/Jacobs Retarder/Cruisair

Towables:
2007 Grand Cherokee CRD
Old 03-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
…there was nothing wrong with the motors but they had lost their ground; not surprising since they operated intermittently for a while before stopping altogether. Life is full of expensive lessons especially when you have a motor coach.

Hopefully if any of the WOG members have a similar problem they now know where to look.
Thanks for the report, Dennis. Sorry you had to dig so deep into the dash, and you’re pocket, to fix such a simple problem!! Pics and descriptions are in my OneNote file for future reference.

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 03-28-2020

I been busy with 'things so I missed all this. My fan in my LX was wonky, slow than fast etc. I hit the dash by the fan switch and it ran fine for a while. And the switch was hot. I replaced the fan switch and its been fine since. Till the system leaked down. I have a vacuum pump and gauge setup. When i got the coach one of the last things the dealer did was charge the system. It has a leak. I'll have to hunt that down too hopefully.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 03-28-2020

I had replaced the A/C compressor less than six months before which was another reason I wanted the A/C to work and when the fan was intermittent I installed a new switch just in case; the cost was insignificant if it meant not having to tear into the dash. Sometimes you own the coach and sometimes the coach owns you, but it's all worth it when everything seems to be working right and we're out of the city and on the road.
Old 03-31-2020

Default M380 cockpit A/C and heater blower fan motor

Doc called to remind me to get the part and serial numbers if I could on the blower motors; see the attached, I hope you can read them on the label.

Turns out the ground was lost and my service people attached two ground wires on the blower motors just in case one vibrated loose again.

They told me one blower motor services the pilot side of the a/c heater and the other blower motor services the co-pilot side. I assume the two blower motors share the same ground otherwise one would have worked instead they both did not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_105310.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	67200   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_105313.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	67201  
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Everything is back together and the two blower motors are working well . Bottom line from the technicians, the actual repair took 15 minutes (adding two ground wires to the blower motors; the problem was they lost their ground). 18 hours labor removing the dash in sections, looking for the blower motors, identifying the blower motors, replacing the dash, checking that all the dash switches are working properly. At $150 per hour $2,700 plus 9.5% tax although I got that rate down to $145 per hour for paying by check instead of a cash back credit card. According to the tech it would have taken them 10 to 12 hours if they knew where to look and what part of the dash to R& R. I hope this helps others if they have a similar problem e.g. the wiper motors are in there too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks Dennis. Feels like I should pay you royalties for the time you’ll save me if I have to dig into this area!

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile