Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) > BMC Parts List

BMC Parts List List your parts here, that are unique to the BMC model 'Birds.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Cruise Control Replacement

The original factory installed Econocruise system on my '94 BMC37 finally went south on me last Summer coming home from Colorado. This system has no troubleshooting guide recommended to me or that I could find, the company is out of business and good luck finding the location of several of the components installed even if you had a troubleshooting guide. I would love to be able to keep my Bluebird in original operating condition with original parts. It's just too hard. I can either drive it around with a list of needed repairs, parts or data, or I can find other solutions that have equal functionality, are capable of being adapted to my coach and integrate into existing Bluebird switchware or other subtle control device similar to Bluebird OEM. I replaced my entire electro/mechanical/pneumatic cruise control system with a King Cruise all electronic kit specifically designed for my coach. It is NOT plug and play, but does use some of the original wiring and sensors in the coach AND it will all hook up to the original Bluebird cruise control switches on my '94. King Cruise tech support is good and if you ask your questions right, you get the right answers. The installation instructions will require tech support phone calls to interpret and a bit of intuition but the end result is well worth the effort. I installed it completely myself in about two weeks part time. To do this yourself you will need to have a good measure of tenacity, good mechanical skills, a good sense of mechanical and electrical relationships and be able to solder. The most difficult two pieces were the installation of the electronic actuator near the engine and the control wire routing from that actuator/processor up to the front of the coach. Do not try this as a rookie. Talk to the people at http://www.cruisecontrolking.com/#contact if you're interested. If you elect to do this, send me a PM and I'll give you a more complete picture of the task you'll face.
Old 1 Week Ago

I did the same this summer, the only difference is the On light doesn’t come on. I also threw out that mounting bracket that came came with the unit and used a piece of 2” x 2” x 3/8” angle to mount the unit to the engine bay wall. Also on my rig that front foot board panel under the dash had one screw in the top, and two screws straight down into the floor, then just a lot of carpet staples and out it came. I have taken it out on a 500 mile tip and it’s sure nice to have the cruse back, and I notice I’ve already got a little cable stretch. I’m getting to old to stand on my head under the dash and do wiring
Old 1 Week Ago

Is having Cruise King or a Cruise King dealer install the system an option?

Back in the day I called and talked to them. Gentleman said when the EcoCruise went out to call them and they had a system that was not plug and play but would use the original switches. I assume that is still the plan as we are not buying a standard system. Is that still true?

Thanks.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Gregg View Post
I d the same this summer, the only difference is the On light doesn’t come on. I also threw out that mounting bracket that came came with the unit and used a piece of 2” x 2” x 3/8” angle to mount the unit to the engine bay wall. Also on my rig that front foot board panel under the dash had one screw in the top, and two screws straight down into the floor, then just a lot of carpet staples and out it came. I have taken it out on a 500 mile tip and it’s sure nice to have the cruse back, and I notice I’ve already got a little cable stretch. I’m getting to old to stand on my head under the dash and do wiring
You're correct Marty, the "On" button light doesn't get power. You know, after I got my kit, I stared into that engine compartment a long time trying to work out any forward firewall mounting geometry that would avoid the turbo exhaust plumbing and in the end, I just didn't trust any of the possible locations to be far enough away to stand the heat. So, I mounted my actuator and control box on the bedroom side of the forward firewall inside that small storage compartment at the foot of the bed. Then, took another half day figuring out the best place and bit angle to drill the hole through the firewall such that I got a nice constant 90 degree radius curve to the cable from the actuator around and down to the throttle linkage attachment. Then I layered several applications of heat resistant foam seal and tape on both sides of the firewall hole. THEN, I went ahead and wrapped the turbo exhaust plumbing in the best fiberglass heat wrap I could find all the way from the turbo outlet to the muffler entrance.

I'd be interested in the route you took with your wiring harness up to the front of your coach. After looking at going through the interior of the coach, I went underneath with wire loom, over the top of the rear axle, into the left rear wheel well (with armored shielding) and up the left side compartments, through the left front wheel (again with armored shielding) and into the very forward left lower compartment then up through the left footwell. THAT was a time consuming ordeal and I too am getting too old to squeeze into that left front driver's footwell.

But, as you know, it was all worth it. Works like a champ. Had an initial teething problem with the first trial run but tech support re-worded their instructions for me a bit and it worked great after a little re-wick to the initial cable slack take-up.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Is having Cruise King or a Cruise King dealer install the system an option?

Back in the day I called and talked to them. Gentleman said when the EcoCruise went out to call them and they had a system that was not plug and play but would use the original switches. I assume that is still the plan as we are not buying a standard system. Is that still true?

Thanks.
Brad, if I understand your entire question, that answer is yes. Ask the King Cruise guy (Steve?) about a recommended installation shop. I didn't. The King Cruise system is all electronic and the throttle linkage actuator motor is of course electric, not pneumatic as in the old system. AND, the King Cruise kit allows for use of a lot of the original Econocruise wiring which simplifies the new installation somewhat. The glitch for our Bluebird model is (again as I recall) part of that wiring is found attached to the original Econocruise pneumatic actuator which sits somewhere above the transmission and cannot be seen or accessed lying on your back underneath the coach. At least I couldn't find it. Forget trying to get your hands on it on the BMC37. There is a wiring workaround though that tech support will guide you with if you do it yourself.
Old 1 Week Ago

Hey Dave, I used the stock wire harness and did the,
Take wire 123 and connect it to wire 789 and so one, and so forth, the instructions were good after I sighffered on them for about a week. The only change I made was to the brake light signal wire, I got on the wire to all the brake lights right off the relay as the relay was near the solenoid for power.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Hey Dave, I used the stock wire harness and did the,
Take wire 123 and connect it to wire 789 and so one, and so forth, the instructions were good after I sighffered on them for about a week. The only change I made was to the brake light signal wire, I got on the wire to all the brake lights right off the relay as the relay was near the solenoid for power.
So you didn't have to make any wire run from the back to the front of your coach?
Old 1 Week Ago

Nope, under the dash I cut all the wires from the original econo cruse controll module and followed the instructions on the wire number game and then went to the back and cut off the plug to the cruse unit and did more of the wire number game and connected the short harness that came with the kit.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Nope, under the dash I cut all the wires from the original econo cruse controll module and followed the instructions on the wire number game and then went to the back and cut off the plug to the cruse unit and did more of the wire number game and connected the short harness that came with the kit.
Ok, thanks Marty. To any other reader following this, Marty and I have two different years of the BMC37. Mine is a '94 which is the first year Bluebird manufactured this model. Marty's coach is a '95 which came with significant upgrades including an entirely different instrument panel, an aqua hot heating system and other subtle changes (improvements) to equipment placement and wiring. Marty was evidently able to access and tap into wiring to his OEM Econocruise system in the rear of his coach that I could not find (or was too dumb to find). IT DOESN'T MATTER except for the additional wire run labor I spent on my '94. By the way, it still may be possible for you to download the King Cruise installation instructions off of their website which gives you a decent idea of the level of effort you'll need to install it.