Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2018

I just added 3 x solar world American - made 300W panels using ironridge XR10 rack system to my M380. The L-brackets are attached to the roof bulkheads with rivnuts through the aluminum skin.

And use of the PT-100 MPPT charge controller from Magnum Energy.

As you see from a few photos, I chose to install my in the electronics / fuel tank bay. I added a 1/8" aluminum mounting plate for the solar and battery disconnects and the charge controller.

I've only exposed this for a short while to the sun. I saw briefly as much as 80 amps charging rate when I had a shop vac running on the Magnum Energy MS2812 inverter.

Use of their battery monitor kit (BMK) and ME ARC 50 remote has been seamless. As an example, what I found cool is when setting up the PT100 charge controller, it already adopted the battery / charge control settings from the inverter / charger. While seamless is how these things should work, I find they rarely do.

I will plan to add some more details in a separate thread, including performance data following some time with it in use.

The project took me about 16 hours end to end.

Cheers,

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1694.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	56873   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_398d.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	56874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	56875  
Old 08-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Love Juan’s detailed descriptions. When he posted his Nissan Leaf lithium battery build, found myself wishing I hadn’t already gone with AGM’s (though I’m happy with them so far). Lots of innovative people out there! Here’s another stacked solar panel installation using air actuated cylinders. This guy posted several other videos on how he built the system:

https://youtu.be/3nKCH-whO2A
Now that is cool.
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

*Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “liked” by any agency or individual.
*Medicated for your comfort. Comfort not guaranteed. Experiences may vary.
Old 08-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
I wanted to share this guys videos on his really engineered roof mount for his solar. Apparently, he is using the big panels and is stacking them. His assembly is allows him to slide the lower panel out when he is parked, and in "under" the other panel when driving. I thought it was interesting.
https://youtu.be/U0n5rX1Y3YQ
I think those slides are going to be a pain in the posterior when they get them out in the elements. And Juan should be using square tubing instead of the angle, way too wiggly for me. I think he should just put them on a a hinge and fold them out when parked, but that would cover up a bunch of the other panels when not parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
I just added 3 x solar world American - made 300W panels using ironridge XR10 rack system to my M380. The L-brackets are attached to the roof bulkheads with rivnuts through the aluminum skin.

And use of the PT-100 MPPT charge controller from Magnum Energy.

As you see from a few photos, I chose to install my in the electronics / fuel tank bay. I added a 1/8" aluminum mounting plate for the solar and battery disconnects and the charge controller.

I've only exposed this for a short while to the sun. I saw briefly as much as 80 amps charging rate when I had a shop vac running on the Magnum Energy MS2812 inverter.

Use of their battery monitor kit (BMK) and ME ARC 50 remote has been seamless. As an example, what I found cool is when setting up the PT100 charge controller, it already adopted the battery / charge control settings from the inverter / charger. While seamless is how these things should work, I find they rarely do.

I will plan to add some more details in a separate thread, including performance data following some time with it in use.

The project took me about 16 hours end to end.

Cheers,

Doug
That looks good, I loves me some rivnuts. Magnum has a very good product. 80 amps, must have been high noon in the desert!
Old 08-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I think those slides are going to be a pain in the posterior when they get them out in the elements. And Juan should be using square tubing instead of the angle, way too wiggly for me. I think he should just put them on a a hinge and fold them out when parked, but that would cover up a bunch of the other panels when not parked.

That looks good, I loves me some rivnuts. Magnum has a very good product. 80 amps, must have been high noon in the desert!
Hey Andy,
Thank you. I'm skeptical of the 80 amps, given it is higher than the rated wattage of 3 panels. It was high Noon or maybe 1p with no clouds.

In the next week, I'll have some more data from when batteries aren't @ 99% SOC, too (which they were).

I did see 50 amps of charge and .65kW (both display on the charge controller) when I first energized the system (@ around Noon with no clouds). That seemed a much more reasonable output figure.

Will update a separate thread.

Doug
Old 08-09-2018

I would love to see some numbers. I have started collecting parts to build my 1200w thing now that I'm wrapping up a couple other projects. It will have motors and stuff