Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-24-2011

Very, very cool, thanks so much for the sharing the project! Keep the photos and posts coming!
http://a.co/jj5lIUw
Old 01-24-2011

Very nice work. Your floor looks excellent, and I LOVE the stairs!! Totally changes the look of the coach.
Linden, Michigan
Old 01-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
Doug
It does look nice. Did you do all the work yourself,any help at all?
How long did it take to strip, and how long did it take to replace?
Ed,
I cannot take full credit.
Demolition took three of us about 1 to 1.5 days.

We collectively did the design / color scheme. We worked with SOS Upholstery in Oceanside, who contributed ideas to the color scheme for the dinette, couches and dash. Between the dash, couches and dinette, their cost was about $2700.

I personally built the bed platform, laid down the new plywood subfloor under the tanks, reconfigured all of the rear tanks / plumbing / water pump, built the new dash deck from plywood and (bamboo flooring) and front bamboo edge trim on the dash as well as the trim work at the stair well entry. I also did the trim to finish the bamboo on the couches, chases adjacent to the rear betd, etc.

This was a lot of work. Not sure how many hours, but many. I suspect about 50 hours of work for me alone.

Last edited by DW SD; 01-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2011
Former Bird Owner

Beautiful job. I'd have liked to get a king-size bed into my coach (the queen bed being one livability factor I found very limiting) but I couldn't figure out a way to do it starting with a side-island bed and still end up with practical access to the rear closet. (It appears your bed goes wall to wall??)

I'm also curious how the engineered flooring was attached to the subfloor. Did you use nails or adhesive -- or does the floor "float"..? I ended up choosing a pre-finished, solid bamboo (in a natural "toasted" color that's a little darker -- but my coach had light colored counters and furniture already). I think you made a great choice in the bamboo flooring. I found it to be very durable and easy to clean during the 18 months I had it before selling.

FWIW, I used adhesive to lay the floor over a 1/4" cork insulating/sub floor that was glued to the plywood subfloor.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-24-2011

Very, Very Nice Work!!
Great color scheme and looks easy to maintain.
Excellent Job.. Enjoy
Old 01-24-2011

Pete,
Appreciate your comments. The new floors definitely brighten the place up and contrast nicely to the dark factory laminate cabinets. They have a 25 year warranty on the finish, which is very tough. It is that silica-type coating. We've found it hard to scratch, though my three year old daughter seems better at it than the rest of us

The floors are glued down with flooring adhesive. In the stepwell, I've been using tightbond 3 and some very fine gauge pin nails. I use a really nice GREX 23 gauge pin nailer, which you can hardly see. Far cry from my old SENCO finishing nailer, which leaves giant holes to fill.

We have similar solid bamboo, but floating floors in two rooms of our home. So far, they've held up very nicely, even with kids doing their things.

The new bed sits adjacent to the rear bedroom closets, as were the old twins. On the right hand side when facing rearwards, there is a 5 to 6" chase for plumbing and electrical. It is just below the front edge of the bed platform. The chase is not obvious with the bedding, etc. It happens to be a good place to put a book or set your nightime water, tequila , etc. as it is about 7" below the height of the matress. It has a bamboo facade, too, and is removable.

The interior width between finished walls is very close to 90", where a California King is 84" long.

An Island Queen is a nicer configuration mainly because you don't disturb one of the sleepers when getting into and out of bed (by crawling over). Then again, with the 6" wide chase and a very long bed, it isn't terribly hard to "step over". We could not achieve the island 1. because the distance between the rear cabinets and the front bedrrom cabinet bulkhead was about 80".

We primarily selected a King to save having to buy new water tanks (a Queen would require slightly smaller tanks) and figured we'd still need the longitudinal layout for a Queen. The extra real estate is nice when sleeping. My wife and I and 3 year old daughter used it for the first time last weekend. For now, there was sufficient room for three of us.

In this process, Scott (friend and co-owner) and I installed three new fantastic fans, as well. Those are really nice additions, too.

thanks for all of the kind words to everyone.

Doug
Old 05-17-2018

Necrobump! Did you have the Flexsteel chairs redone? Or is that something you bought in green? I'm trying to plan out all of my interior colors and get all the vinyl redone soon.
Old 05-17-2018

Hey Andy,
Thanks for the note!

The chairs came with it and were green. I believe they are newer, but not sure of the install timeframe. There are RV salvage yards all over. I might steer you towards those. Also, I saw some people putting in OEM toyota seats like from the Venza. You could easily fabricate bracketry. There is a guy who goes to the local swap meets and sells them for $250 each and they are brand new.

The forest green vinyl on the dash and piping on the couches I did have redone. It is classy and doesn't show dirt like the beige original.

Keystone is a good quality vinyl brand. I think the classic line, but would have to look it up. I will do so, if you'd like.

Cheers,

Doug
Old 05-17-2018

Wow Doug...

How did I miss this great remodel thread . Thanks Badandy for reviving it . Doug, the project looks fantastic. I especially like the green dash area, and piping on the seats. A lot of invested time surely paid off .

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 05-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdevane View Post
Wow Doug... How did I miss this great remodel thread . Thanks Badandy for reviving it . Doug, the project looks fantastic. I especially like the green dash area, and piping on the seats. A lot of invested time surely paid off . Timothy
Ditto! Very nice work. Especially like your flooring job and material choice. I chose engineered maple for its look as well hardness and durability. However, being a natural material, it expands and contracts according to the local humidity level making joints more noticeable. That the bus “lives” in one of the driest climates in the world means no rust and it helps preseve everything (think aircraft bone yards), but it also means moisture is completely wrung out from everything. Only fix I can come up with is a nice beach front “bird house” .