Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-07-2013

Default Satelite Dome Control

Hello,

My wife and I are from Kingston, Ontario and starting our second year with our 04 M380 ... soon to head south again.

We have learned a lot along the way but there are still ( and I know, always will be) some things about the operation that are left unanswered.
I have puzzled for quite some time over the satelite and antenae system. Because I could not figure it out, I ended up using an external "Bell Expressvu" dish and receiver last winter which worked well.

Ther was no receiver in the unit when I bought it. It was apparently a "Direct TV" receiver unit. I have a "dome" on the roof and until now, had no clue how to get it working.

Because Bell Expressvu (one of our Canadian suppliers), has blocked signals in practically all of the southern states, I have been forced to go to another supplier. We have a company called "Shaw Direct" here which is, I believe, a joint venture ... Canadian (Shaw) and US (Direct) that provides satelite signals in Canada, US and Mexico.

They are coming tomorrow to replace all of my "household" Bell receivers and then will return to set up my M380 before we head south.

My hope is to use my new "Shaw Direct" receiver with my dome. Any info on this would be appreciated.

After reviewing the manuals again, I think I understand why I have been unable to figure out the dome control. I believe I am missing the "Hughes / Direct" control for the dome. I will attempt to attach a picture of the electronics panel. There is a multi-pin connector with an "on/off" switch, where I believe there should be another control box connected ... I think the Hughes/Direct controller??? Can someone confirm this?

If not connected there, where would I connect it ... or am I even correct on this notion ???

Please feel free to call me also.

Marcel Goulet
porscheman7@gmail.com
613-387-2164

Name:	DSCN3894.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	19688   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3892.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	19689  

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 01-07-2013
prone to wandering

Hey Marcel, you are correct about the issues with Bell and Shaw.
I asked a similar question last year regarding the compatibility of my KVH dish with Shaw, but apparently many standard RV dishes do not work with Shaw. There are a couple of guys on the forum that know the technical details regarding this so hopefully one of them will chime in and tell you whats what.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 01-07-2013
Geek

I don't know much about controls for domes, but I don't think any antenna designed for Dish and DirecTV will work with Shaw (the Direct in their name does not have to do with DirecTV).

Dish and DirecTV use circular-polarized signals, while Shaw uses Linear, so the physical hardware is different. They also use completely different satellites. So, companies like Winegard make completely different hardware for use with Shaw.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 01-07-2013

Thanks Jim,

Is your "KVH" a dome that was suppied with your Bird ... and if so, how do you control it?
Direction, on, off etc..?

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 01-07-2013

Thanks Don,

Do you use a dome? If so what does the control for it look like?

I am trying to determine what I have to buy or find to control my "dome" satelite ... if it is compatiible with the Shaw Direct system so I don't have to use their dish.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 01-07-2013
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheman7 View Post
Thanks Don,

Do you use a dome? If so what does the control for it look like?

I am trying to determine what I have to buy or find to control my "dome" satelite ... if it is compatiible with the Shaw Direct system so I don't have to use their dish.
No, I've never liked domes, always open-faced.

I hope I was clear with my prior post: None chance that you can use that dome with Shaw. End of story.
Old 01-07-2013

What type or make would I need to use it? ... Any idea?

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 01-07-2013
Geek

The largest manufacturer of RV dishes is Winegard. They make at least two for Shaw
A carryout version that can see one of the two satellites at a time: http://www.winegard.com/portable-sat...ct-antenna.php

and an open-faced that can see both at once:
http://www.winegard.com/travler/travler-shaw-direct.php

Onesat in Canada has a few: http://www.onesat.ca/Shaw-Direct-Sta...shes-s/980.htm

Satellite reception is heavily dependent on the size of the reflector, and all domes have small reflectors. If you look at the footprints for the two satellites that Shaw uses here: http://www.canadasatellite.ca/Shaw-D...FAQ-s/1245.htm If your travel is primarily in the pink areas a dome like the Winegard carryout may work well. The further south and west you go the bigger the dish must be.
Old 01-07-2013
Satellite dish installer.

Yes what everyone is saying is generally correct...

From seeing your pictures it appears that you have a KVH dome dish...

You can register your dish on KVH's website which will give you access to the manual to download...which explains how and what you can do with it...they also have pretty good phone support...

There are ways to change its use to different service providers, by either purchasing a dongle or logging into the controller to make some changes...

Reading their manuals suggests they do have a ShawDirect (Starchoice) LNBF that you can purchase but the dish won't adjust for skew resulting in a automatic dish that only works when you move directly north or south and goes out of adjustment as you go east and west...

You need to remove the dome physically install the ShawDirect LNBF and then adjust the LNBF skew to match your area and put the dome back on. Also the dish control panel needs to be set to work with the ShawDirect satellites.

Not a good solution and the dish is too small to work well in all kinds of weather and in all areas...

But Shawdirect does work all over north America very well using a 75cm Shawdirect dish which is standard on a Winegard Traveler SK7003 automatic dish... This dish usually sells in Canada for about $2000 plus about $400 for installation and is the one that is liked the most by users..

There is also a carry out ShawDirect Dome dish that is about $1000 also made by Winegard GM-700 that has a smaller dish size...

Lots of people purchase a basic tripod and learn to point the dish themselves...

Les & Debra Willey
LesdotWilleyatSkywaySupplydotca
six04.7five6.192one
Mission, BC, Canada
88 WB40
Old 01-07-2013
Geek

Yeah, does anybody make a dome with skewable dish? This is one of those eye-glazing technical subjects - it has to do with aligning a dish with the spot on the Clarke Belt that the particular satellite is in. Due south of you there is no skew, to the west is skewed clockwise (from behind the dish) and to the east is skewed counter-clockwise.

Most dishes you see on houses these days are skewed, because they point to more than one satellite at a time and must align with all of them.

The other reason for skewing has to do with polarization. Circular-polarized signals do not require skew if you are pointing to only one satellite, so old single-head DirecTV and DISH antennas, as well as standard domes, don't have to be skewed.

Linear polarization requires that the antenna be aligned with the polarization, which happens to be identical to the Clarke Belt skew, so Shaw antennas require skewing even when only looking at one satellite.

My good friends at RF Mogul probably wouldn't like my not mentioning them in my list of antennas: http://rfmogul.com/product-line-up.html