Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-30-2016

Default Samsung refrigerator

All this talk about how great it is to have a Samsung or other house refrigerator in our birds, I went and got the dimensions of the Samsung, and then measured my space. If I was to install one, it is too tall! The top would be into the cabinet above the current Dometic. Even removing the cabinet below and having the refrigerator on the floor.
Anyone else have this problem, and how did you deal with it???

Thanks!

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 09-30-2016
Forum owner

sometimes you just have to do a little wood work!
But,its worth the money.
Run up to Pea Ridge,Tim can fix you right up.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-30-2016

Seeing Tim about this was what I was thinking. I don't recall anyone else having the same problem.
I am fairly close to pea ridge!

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 09-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
All this talk about how great it is to have a Samsung or other house refrigerator in our birds, I went and got the dimensions of the Samsung, and then measured my space. If I was to install one, it is too tall! The top would be into the cabinet above the current Dometic. Even removing the cabinet below and having the refrigerator on the floor.

Thanks!
We, meaning Randy and Mike removed the drawer under our Whirpool. Plenty of room on top. Enough so that Tim could build Roberta another place to put stuff.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-30-2016

Brian, I measured mine yesterday and I have 32.5" available for the width. If removing my lower drawer I get only 66" height, so I also will have to also remove the lower portion of the upper cabinet.

My concern is the only 27-1/2" width I have available at the door to get the units in & out. The limitation I have is caused by the built-in factory screen door that is on this mid-door version. My initial staring at it doesn't reveal any apparent easy way to remove the screen door.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 09-30-2016

I did not even look at the door to get the frig in the coach. But I don't have a screen door like yours.
So what is your plan to make the frig fit? Once you get it onboard, of course!

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 09-30-2016

Quote:

Thanks!
Brian, I had a drawer below my Dometic and a cabinet above. You will have to tear both out. Not a big loss because my cabinet above was very small. The drawer below we used for seldom used items because it was difficult bend over that low to get stuff out. So you take out a ton of screws and tear out a ton of clear caulk at each seam. Not as hard as you think but it does take some effort. When your done you won't be sorry. Set the fridge on the floor. The only easy way to do it. This is how I finished mine, at the open top and also securing for travel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010025 (2).jpg
Views:	413
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	45183

Name:	P1010028.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	45184

Name:	P1010029.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	45185

Name:	P1010031.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	45186

I forgot to add that I took a steel 2' wide flat bar that was longer than the fridge is wide. Something like 35 inches or so. Anyway, I bent the ends up on the bar right at the width of the fridge. Then screwed those ends to the sidewall. When you get the fridge you will see some indentations on top of the cover for the hinges. I drilled holes in the bar where those indentations were. Dropped in a bolt in each hole to secure the top of the fridge from moving. The bottom I took construction adhesive glued down a block at each wheel to keep it from rolling out. It is very secure.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 09-30-2016
97 WLWB 43' Series 60

Wow!

Jim,
Very impressive indeed.
I like the Bluebird grill above the refrigerator!
EMail: cesalie2@yahoo.com

Wannabe Wanderer
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
Old 09-30-2016
Forum owner

As Jim says,the upper and lower cabinets are both removable,the are components that unscrew and come out,after you cut the caulking around the seams.
Its not as hard as it looks.
Brian,do the new install,then take it to Tim to get the final cabinet work done on the top cabinet.
$500 or so will be all Tim charges,for high quality work.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-30-2016

Quote:
If I was to install one, it is too tall! The top would be into the cabinet above the current Dometic. Even removing the cabinet below and having the refrigerator on the floor. Anyone else have this problem, and how did you deal with it??? Thanks!
Brian - Not your coach model but bet install would be similar, check this thread (posts 38, 52 & 56). As others have mentioned, I also originally had a small drawer below and cabinet above. Now have a cabinet below the platform I built and a barrel latch held panel concealing a hide'y area on top of the fridge. Didn't need much cabinet work, because I was able to reuse the old cab doors and cross piece so it needed only a basic modification. Getting the old Dometic out and new one in thru the coach door would've been a challenge had Jim B not posted how he did it (see earlier in the same thread above). All the trouble you go through to accomplish this mod is well worth it.