Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-20-2010

Default Remote Satelite Dish

All too often I have to reposition the Coach just so that the Direct TV dish can communicate with the satelite. Lots of good camp grounds are surrounded by tall trees; we love trees that is one of the reasons we camp. I am at a point where I think I should get a second dish with a long cable that I can position away from the Coach when moving the Coach is not the best option in the same way many RVers who do not have dish domes with satelite trackers. Is there an easy way in an M380 to create an external connector to the Direct TV receiver so that I can at will use either the dome dish or an external dish?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 02-20-2010

We use the park connection. Hook your portable dish to the the external connection on you coach. Connect the wire from the park connection the dish connection on the DTV
receiver. Don't wire the dish though a switch box.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 02-20-2010

Wink

I use a tripod with a dish (pick up 3 sats for HD) and it works well. I connect it to the cable input and then I use a diplexor inside. A diplexor will combine signals and then separate them out. I hooked up the antenna side to the cable input on the selector and I hooked up the sat side to the receiver. This way, no matter whether you hook up cable or sat dish, you are automatically connected to the correct one.

If I stay for more than two days, I always put out the tripod, because then I can get all channels.

1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380
Blountstown, Florida
Old 02-20-2010

Wink

A dipexor has one in/out and a sat and an antenna connection, depending on whether it is the first or second diplexor. When sending two signals (sat signal and antenna signal) you have to use two diplexors. The first to combines the signals and the second to split the signals to the correct input.

1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380
Blountstown, Florida
Old 02-20-2010

Thanks guys for the replys. If I understand you correctly, I use the same connection that I would use to receive park cable; I attach the portable dish to this connector. One of you says not to use a switch box, why? I assume a diplexor is a switch box. Where can I get a diplexor? Where is the best place to get a portable Direct TV dish and tripod? The way my Coach is wired to use park cable the signal goes through the tuner on a video tape player (the TV does not have a channel tuner - for cable you use the tuner on the VCR, for Sat you use the tuner on the Sat receiver; I have never used the anntena so I don't know how that works).

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 02-21-2010

Dennis,

Some switch boxes have a built in RF amplifier--those that don't will probably be ok.

I use quick connect adapters on the cables--takes about 30 sec to make the changeover.

Hope this helps,
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 02-21-2010

Wink

When I refer to a switch box, I am referring to your video control center. The box with TV,Cable,VCR, SAT,etc.

Your dish cable must go directly from the dish (or sat side of a diplexor) to the the sat input on the back of your Direct TV receiver. Then the out on the back of your direct TV receiver goes to your switch box to the SAT input.

A diplexor looks like a TV spliter except it divides the signal by frequency. Sat signals have one frequency and cable signals have another frequency. It has three nodes you can screw a cable onto. On one side you have two nodes which one is labled ant and the other is labled SAT. Your cable input cable (from the cable in which is outside your coach usually by your Telephone jack) should be connected to the single node on one side. Then the side with the two nodes, you connect an RG6 cable from the SAT node on the diplexor to the dish input on the back of your direct tv receiver. You connect another cable from the ant node on the diplexor to the Cable input on your video selector box. Then you run a cable from your TV out on your direcect receiver to the SAT input on your video selector box.

Now no matter whether you hook up to cable or a portable dish, all you have to do is choose what you want with the video selector.

The above is assuming you do not have a roof dish.

If you do, then you will need an AB switch. With an AB switch, you connect your roof dish to the A(above) side of the AB switch. You connect the Sat side of the diplexor to the B(below) side of the AB switch. Then run the out connector on the AB switch to the Sat in input on the back of your Direct TV receiver.

Hope this helps. Diplexors cost about $10.00 each. Sometimes, I forget to change the AB switch to the right dish, but that is now the first thing I check if I get no signal.

1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380
Blountstown, Florida
Old 02-21-2010

Life used to be sooooo simple....
Old 02-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Life used to be sooooo simple....

LOL!!!! How true.

Jack and Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 02-21-2010

Thanks to all of you, this is very helpful. I do have a roof top dish which works great when there are no trees in the line of sight with the Sat. The portable is going to be my plan B when that happens. I checked on line and saw a lot of portable dish set ups from those on a tripod ranging from apx. $40 up to apx $150. I also saw some that auto level and have a remote control to find the Sats I believe the company was Winegard (?) and another called a Vucube (?). Three questions, do any of you have experience or recommendations with these different types? And, how hard is it to locate the Sat with those that you manually position? And do you get all the channels that your Sat receiver is programed for e.g. does it pick up all the right Sats? I have a Direct TV receiver.

Thanks,

Dennis