Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Birds Of a Feather (BOF)

Birds Of a Feather (BOF) The group that organized the Albuquerque Balloon Rally came up with a new Bluebird RV Group called Birds Of a Feather (BOF), you can find out about their future events here.

Site Search:

Old 05-09-2022

Tami and I haven't been able to make it to Q for a couple of years due to my hip and knee surgeries. We have acquired a 1999 xj as a toad. It' mostly stock and I am wondering if it would be capable of the desert runs I see in Van's videos?
Old 05-09-2022
AKA Tent Boy

Hi Mike,
It depends on the size of your tires, if oversized off road tires, you would be ok doing the trail to the Desert Bar, for ground clearance on that trail, otherwise the Dripping Springs and The O $hit trail will you need to go with...

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburmandds View Post
Tami and I haven't been able to make it to Q for a couple of years due to my hip and knee surgeries. We have acquired a 1999 xj as a toad. It' mostly stock and I am wondering if it would be capable of the desert runs I see in Van's videos?

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
busbum@icloud.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 05-09-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Me too. Hey Brad, seen the latest Q Jeeping video? I think you'll like it, even with that antique Andy's running . Part 3 with the steep narrow ledge drop-offs comes out next Friday and several more to go after that.

For those planning Q17 next year, don't forget your JEEP or SxS! The Q runs are generally on the mild side with some exceptions - you might like the Desert Bar Jeep'n video. However if you're looking for something a little more, plan an extra week or two around the official two weeks of the rally. Then check out the videos I am posting to decide if a slightly "enhanced" off-road adventure is for you. Andy & I had an awesome time after this year's Q16, and I'm pretty sure he'll be ready for more in 2023. Always free to join if you like!

https://youtu.be/gQxQ2IVL3ZE
https://youtu.be/sChBczUF1zo

I enjoy your videos, your narration is just like listening to ATC . Keep em coming.
Old 05-09-2022

Thanks Larry
Pics of tires and height.
Guess I've got some modification to do before Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep tire.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	80762   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep ride.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	80763  
Old 05-09-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburmandds View Post
Thanks Larry
Pics of tires and height.
Guess I've got some modification to do before Q
You could easily go on some of the milder Q runs As-Is no problem. Bypasses for most of the obstacles close to the Q circle exist, and you could/should use those escape paths with a "mostly stock" XJ. How far you go in "building" is entirely up to you and where you want to take your Jeep. However, the XJ can make a great "serious" off road platform with readily available upgrades. Andy, Larry and Brad are all running XJ Cherokees in various states of "build". There are also tons of YT videos out there showing XJ build projects. One of my favs is this one: https://youtu.be/UqWjqsd9t9A.

The people who did that video said it cost $3000 plus their XJ that they supposedly bought for $2000. Right! . Notice they start like Larry said, with tires, going from stock to what I run - 35's. Note the diff in tire sizes in pic below, with 35's on the left and yours on the right. Also note what they had to do to put those 35's on an XJ!

When upgrading off-road capability of any Jeep, one must strike a balance between cost, towability (if flat towing like we all do), a wheeling capability that one will actually use AND your experience level. Go too far in one direction and the other "factors" will suffer. I wanted 37's, but could not justify the extra cost, bad effects on things like my axles & the factory warranty AND the poor towability I'd likely suffer with them. So I stayed with 35's on a Rubicon that is factory approved for that size tires. Whether a new vehicle or an XJ that's 40 years old, juggling those same factors is the key to you being happy with your build results!!

IF you start a build program, I recommend starting your own WOG Build Thread. Many WOGers are interested in doing exactly what you are considering and would find such aa thread interesting. Have fun with your upgrading and see you at next years Q!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A542BEDC-0AA1-4BFC-B85D-24F35D39BE3F.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	80767  
Old 05-10-2022

Larry and John McGinnis ran stock Cherokees for a number of years. John was in the process of installing a 4 inch lift and 31 inch tires on his when he passed.

My Cherokee had a 4 inch lift, rock rails, and 31s with lockers front and rear. I have since upgraded more.

I think Larry has gone on most if not all the trails we go on with his stock Cherokee. I think he even went on the Oh _hit trail.

Tire placement is key if you run a stock rig on some of the trails.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad

Last edited by bwinter1946; 05-10-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2022

Thanks Larry and Brad
I'm constantly absorbing upgrade info on the net but haven't pulled the plug yet.
I'm surprised at the capability of the stock xj on the trails we've taken in the Sierras and the 395 Owens Valley corridor.
I think the xj makes an affordable off road platform and toad, Just can't justify a new Rubicon for a seldom driven vehicle.
I will create a WOG build thread when I begin.
Old 05-15-2022

Van posted the 3rd chapter of his off-road excursion on YouTube with Andy during the week after "Q". If you are interested, it is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abAAVSeqit0
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad