Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-07-2020

Default BMC won't start

They're probably tons of threads on the Forum about how to check this out, but when I try searching I get all sorts of unrelated stuff.

Our BMC will not start. I'm not great at electrical stuff, so I was hoping for a few tips about the order I should proceed in to check out the problem.

Turning the key makes no noise in the starting attempt. My gages say the batteries are OK. I tried the Aux battery switch to see if the coach batteries would start it in case there was a connection problem with the engine batteries. Again, nothing. The wires are all attached to the ignition switch, so it looks like nothing has come off there.

I will probably have to dive under the dash next (something I always hate to do because there are a million wires under there and I'm not sure where to start) If I should do something else first, I will try that if someone has other ideas.

Any comments? If I have to go under the dash next what's the best way to track this down? Thanks for any help you can give.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 02-07-2020

Lee, Check for voltage at the solenoid on the right side low frame rail down by the oil pan. If I'm not mistaken that feeds the starter solenoid.
Hopefully Mike, Dave, Harold will join in for a solution.
fmca 200288
eglider03@gmail.com
Old 02-07-2020

Sorry to hear this Lee, it’s something I think about whenever starting. I’m no expert so if you smarter fellers want to correct me, do so. Since you have no noise at all, it’s probably not fuel related. These are thing I’d try. Smack starter with hammer or something similar, check relay (solenoid), I think it’s on curb side behind rear dual high on the frame rail. See if voltage is present. Has it ever been changed? Also maybe fiddle with the ignition switch maybe do this first. Also, if you’ve been in Texas near the salt air, maybe corrosion?
Good luck
8.3 Cummins
F110660

Last edited by Trees; 02-07-2020 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 02-07-2020

Default No start

Do BMC coaches have an A/T Switch?
1980 FC Sold
Old 02-07-2020

Didn't we have the same problem at Maxton... oh about TEN YEARS ago? Seem to recall it was something in the driver-side access panel.. but what do I know about BMC's

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 02-07-2020

Paul and Tim are correct. There is a solenoid on curb side up in frame.
Shane is also right on with solenoid on drivers side electric door. I cannot remember why I have changed all of these. It seems like it had something to do with starting. Also I am not telling you to do this in anyway but I have been known to jump across the pos+ main post of starter, usually the large 1/2" eyelet that connects to solenoid on starter and jump it to little wire that engages the starter. Terrible and unsafe way of doing it. I want to stress the safety issue, or lack thereof. Be safer to come in from bedroom to do this. Key has to be on. This only works if the Pos+ post on starter is charged. Not sure what kind of an emergency situation you are in.

Last edited by tmabbott12; 02-07-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: not sure
Old 02-07-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Didn't we have the same problem at Maxton... oh about TEN YEARS ago? Seem to recall it was something in the driver-side access panel.. but what do I know about BMC's
Does your transmission shifter pad light up and appear normal with the key in the "run" position?

As mentioned above, there is a solenoid that looks like a Ford solenoid on the passenger side frame rail in the rear. That solenoid sends 12 volts to the starter solenoid when the key switch is in the start position. The frame mounted solenoid gets its signal from the Allison VIM (a box of relays) that is located in the compartment under the driver's window. The VIM has a red wire and a black wire which should show 12v and that power comes straight from the engine batteries via 10 ga wire, so check for good connection at engine batteries.

Wire #136 (should be marked as such on the insulation) out of the VIM should show 12v when key is in "start" position. This is the wire that activates the frame mounted solenoid. If it doesn't, could be key switch. If it does show 12v, problem lies between VIM and starter.

It may be easier to troubleshoot in that compartment rather than under the bus.

Except a hammer to the starter. I'd try that first also.

I have wiring diagrams that make more sense than lots of words if you need them.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 02-07-2020

Default BMC non starting

As it turns out that the last post was a clue I found out from a friend before rechecking these notes. When the key is turned on, the "Neutral" does not light up on the Transmission pad. If I have read these notes correctly, that frame rail solenoid may be the problem. I have changed the one back in the engine compartment at least twice in the past but never changed the one on the frame rail. So perhaps that is what I should do next. Is that what you folks think? I have never looked for that one so hopefully, it is as obvious as the one in the engine compartment.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 02-07-2020

Default diagrams

David, I have some diagrams but do not think I have any of those for the stuff under the driver's window. If I think I need them after checking out the stuff you mentioned, I'll give you a call and perhaps you can make and send me some copies.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 02-07-2020
BMC 37 Song Bird

I had a similar problem last year. Turn key to run. All normal. Turn to start nothing. Turned out to be the ignstion switch itself
Song Bird