Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 12-22-2017

Default Connecticut Motor Vehicle Tax

In Connecticut, motor vehicle tax assessment is limited to $500 for antique, rare or special interest vehicles. If you have an 'antique' plate on the vehicle, you get the $500 cap automatically. If you have standard plates (as my bird does, since they don't issue 'classic camper' plates) you 'may' be required to submit documentation proving that the vehicle is 'antique, rare, or special interest'. Apparently I will need to do that, as I received a tax bill based on NADA value.

I know we have a few CT guys here - have you been required to submit documentation for this? If so, what did you provide?

They already know the year, so I don't think they need proof of that. A photo maybe? Just trying to save a lengthy phone call. Any insight is appreciated.

Edit: They also require that the vehicle not be altered from its original state. Of course my bird is all original. So I guess I somehow have to prove this as well.

Marc Pease
New Haven, CT
1991 TC2000 (sold)
1982 FC35SB "Rollin' Old School"

Last edited by Marc_in_CT; 12-22-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-22-2017

I love Connecticut stories
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-23-2017
Black Sheep Division

Talking

Marc, you need to move! I think Maryland would be a nice state..... I happen to know of a nice building lot for sale .... permits already approved.... has a brand new septic system never used.... and it has a REALLY nice shop already on it!

But WAIT! You know where it is! You've BEEN there! LOL!

Such a deal I would make!

TOM
Old 04-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_in_CT View Post
In Connecticut, motor vehicle tax assessment is limited to $500 for antique, rare or special interest vehicles. If you have an 'antique' plate on the vehicle, you get the $500 cap automatically. If you have standard plates (as my bird does, since they don't issue 'classic camper' plates) you 'may' be required to submit documentation proving that the vehicle is 'antique, rare, or special interest'. Apparently I will need to do that, as I received a tax bill based on NADA value.

I know we have a few CT guys here - have you been required to submit documentation for this? If so, what did you provide?

They already know the year, so I don't think they need proof of that. A photo maybe? Just trying to save a lengthy phone call. Any insight is appreciated.

Edit: They also require that the vehicle not be altered from its original state. Of course my bird is all original. So I guess I somehow have to prove this as well.
How did this turn out for you? I noticed a classic plate on a class A driving down Rt8 so, there must be some way to obtain a classic registration for MH's. Unless he borrowed it from his classic car??? Hmmm....
Sarasota, FL
michael@mcmillan.org
1991 40' WLWB "Priscilla"

Old 04-12-2018

It actually worked out fine. All I had to do was sign an affidavit representing that it was "being preserved because of historic interest and which is not altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications".
They immediately reduced the assessed value to $500 and I happily paid my $6 tax bill. This was for a partial year since I had just purchased the coach. Next year's bill will be more along the lines of $18. I will try to scrape that up somehow.

I had asked about antique plates but they claimed no such thing was available. I suppose it depends who you ask.

From the affidavit form:
Quote:
AFFIDAVIT FOR ANTIQUE, RARE OR SPECIAL INTEREST MOTOR VEHICLES AS DEFINED IN
ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 14‐1 (3), AS AMENDED BY PUBLIC ACT 08‐150, TO BE ASSESSED FOR
NOT MORE THAN $500.
Vehicles, registered or non‐registered, 20 years or older that meet the definition as an antique, rare
or special interest motor vehicle, in accordance with the provisions of the Connecticut General
Statutes Section 14‐1, as amended by Public Act 08‐150, Section 1, shall not be assessed more than
$500.
Definition
C.G.S. Section 14‐1, (3) "Antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle
twenty years old or older which is being preserved because of historic interest and which is not
altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications.

Marc Pease
New Haven, CT
1991 TC2000 (sold)
1982 FC35SB "Rollin' Old School"