Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 05-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
This is a REALLY GOOD post. Certainly do all of the above. Have a good well funded credit card with you and if possible a friend. Having two people is of real value. If the second fellow knows more then the first fellow even better.

I've taken Roberta with me for every purchase. So far she hasn't steered me wrong. I know she's much smarter than I am. She always tells me how and what to do.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I've taken Roberta with me for every purchase. So far she hasn't steered me wrong. I know she's much smarter than I am. She always tells me how and what to do.
You Sir, are a wise man.

Kent & Pearl Glover
1985 FC-35RB "Wild and Wanderful"
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Email: juballer22@gmail.com
Old 05-07-2018
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzamot View Post
Thank you all for the good wishes and especially great advice. If the Bus is as described, then it will be coming home to NY. We scratched the idea of going to Arizona. There is a Caterpillar location in Long Island NY my daughter is calling today to see if they can schedule an appointment and do a thorough inspection and perform an oil analysis. My family understands the age of the bus and know I will be spending a lot of money on the bus. My 23-year-old daughter said, “papa if it makes you happy go for it.” I’m more than happy. I’m excited! I hope there’re no big surprises when I go to see it. Once again, a big thank you to everyone for the kind words and great advice.

I will take lots of photos.
At the risk of being thought of as "Buzz Kill Bill", you may want to think twice before going to the CAT House. Also, unless you are going to have it towed to NY, probably best to have it checked out as close to where you are getting it as possible if you want to reach NY! That's a 30,000+/_ pound bus. You don't want that thing getting away from you!

CAT may know about their engine, but it may stop there. Most of the stuff attached to the engine is not theirs and they likely don't know about it but will be happy to learn it at their PREMIUM hourly rate. They are very expensive and unless you have special engine issues, an old-school diesel shop may be your best bet. Also, stay as far away from most if not all, "RV dealer/ service centers as possible!.... they say they do but they don't know about Wanderlodges!

Last week I went looking for a place to have a chassis inspection done on our 83 because we have not been driving the coach for several years. We live in it part time and exercise it some, but to me, it needs a good looking over before we really take her out again. I'll be surprised if it needs much of anything except for tires, filters, batteries and some adjustment to the brake slack adjusters, belts etc.

The coach is about an hour away on the far side of the bay from our home just off US 301 which is a major truck route. I went to the nearest truck service center and it happened to be a Freightliner shop. I told him what I had and what I was looking for. He said, "sure we can do that, bring it in." I asked him how long it would take and he told me 3-5 hours. I asked him what their rate was and he told me $175/hr. WoW... now I know where I'm not going! I've been through this before and what I'm looking for can be done in an hour or two at the most. I know I really need a small old school diesel shop.

On my way out, I see an RV rental store nearby so I stop to see them and asked who does your service work. They said. "Efficiency Enterprises of Florida... about a mile down the road in back of the Shell... ask for Dan."

I get there and the shop is 12 bays (6 back to back) the place is busy mostly with medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks... but not crazy busy and reasonably clean.

I told Dan what I have and what I was looking for and he said sure, no problem the rate is $90 for the service call and $96/hour. I asked him when he could take it and he said any time, just give me a few days notice. I asked him a few more questions to see if he was familiar with the coolant SCAs and such and he was. So, I'm pretty sure this is where I'm going to take the Bird when we're ready to head out again.

It's really important to shop around and this goes for parts too. Recommend you get the NAPA AITA fleet discount card. It's free and can save you a lot, but still, shop the part!

http://aitaonline.com/products/parts

We all wish you the best.

Keep us posted!

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 05-07-2018

NH Bill, I asked my daughter to help me look for some local diesel shops in our area. I will stop by a few of them to see if they have space big enough to service the bus.
Old 05-07-2018

Good luck on the project! I bought mine sight-unseen basically, but the PO had taken a ton of good photos and was honest about everything, and it had been regularly used. If it looks bad or you get a sinking feeling just walk away, swallow your pride and fly home. I did this a couple years ago.

I'm surprised that a non-gearhead has the sack to do this, to be honest. My advice, having done a similar thing last year:

1) check tire pressures every time you stop the bus and before you start moving again and make sure you have the stuff onboard to use your air supply to air up the tires before you leave the town you are buying it in. Make sure you can reach all the valve stems.

2) bring tons of plain old water, buy it at Walmart for $1/gallon or less. If you can fill the water tank onboard and the pump works and you can pump it out then that's fine, too. I would buy 20 gallons, at least. This is in case it springs a coolant leak along the way, so if it's not horrible you can keep going by filling it up every time you stop to check the tire pressures. While you're there buy a heavy duty long-handled window scrubber and some soap because your wipers will be junk/not work at all. I like Rain-ex for this, too.

3) bring an IR temp gun, even though they are not as accurate as people think, they are very useful. Shoot it at the tires, hubs, etc.

4) expect tons of bump-steer and be prepared to get scared to hit big bumps, especially on curves, after you experience this. By the time you get home you won't be freaked out by it, but this one shook my nerves a few times. Also, when someone passes you, look the opposite way or just look waaaay down the road and drive straight.

5) bring candy to throw out the windows as you drive by all the people waving like you're in a parade. Weird, I know.
Old 05-07-2018

I think Bill is spot on in his advice. Andy is good too after he does what Bill said

The difference as I see it is buying a bus that's been sitting rather then one being used

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 05-07-2018

I’m surprised that more people haven’t mentioned Woody on this thread. He is now involved with a service center somewhere down in the Bandera/ south Central Texas area. He isn’t in the Army or El Paso anymore. Call him and get it down there or find someone who can look it over for you. Not Freightliner or Holt Caterpillar. They won’t be good for the kind of Look/See that you need.

I wouldn’t drive it ANYWHERE until I had somebody do a general look over. Especially if I wasn’t a wrench or diesel familiar type person. You can get in a world of hurt and it can cost a ton of money if something disables the bus out on a lonely stretch of highway between Texas and New York.

Remember these things are old and people don’t know or remember how to work on them. They won’t hardly work on a Cabover at a truck service center on the freeway much less a FC with a doghouse. Something as simple as putting on an alternator or new belts or hoses is a pain and needs to be done by the book or it won’t work correctly. Don’t let Camping World TOUCH it.

Don’t get in a hurry. Stop and investigate if it starts making strange noises or sounds.

Get some cardboard to crawl on and bring some old clothes. You want to crawl around under this thing a lot before writing the check and then pretty often (every time you stop) along the way.

I wish you good luck

You’re a braver ( or crazier) man than I am. Or maybe you have more free time than I do and enjoy a good adventure

Have fun.

Max

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 05-07-2018

I bought my first one sight unseen drove it home no problems. Lots of others have as well. It was a stupid thing do. How ever the PO was helpful, honest and a farmer who had worked on the bus BUT as time has shown that bus wasn't even close to right . Driving it was a challenge. I had enough sense to drive SLOWLY and to stay off of the interstates as much as I could. I was lucky

Woody would be good but as we know Woody is not exactly a low risk taker. Love Woody but he'd probably jump out of an airplane with a couple patches in the shoot. Of course Woody can fix about anything so if it didn't kill him he'd be back in the plane going for seconds. Right guys?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 05-07-2018

I drove Marge back from Tampa in early December. These guys are giving you great advice. Get new tires, get the engine and chassis serviced down there. I had to drive Marge with 8 year old tires and barely any trans fluid in there before I could get her topped off and new shoes on for a few hours through Tampa mid day traffic. When she got serviced and tires, she ran like a completely different animal. Matter of fact the first day I was really thinking to my self what did I do, but like I said once she was serviced I ran her home the 1500 miles like sitting in a big ole slow loud couch. Read about the systems on here and get familiar so you have a idea of what to expect. Good Luck on getting her home!
Warwick, New York
Instagram: scp7411
Old 05-08-2018

Woody named his coach hauling wood (risk taker, yeah buddy), it hauled arse. Randy and him swapped out that engine in a weekend. That guy must know something about mechanicals stuff, and he did his service for the country it’s good to suppport him in his retirement, just an opinion.

His shop if he’s working there is in this link and a hour and 30mins from Bandera. It would be worth it to make the drive even if it’s not on the way. You will probably get better service then a CAT house on the island, although you may get lucky. Iron 3 diesel Pleasanton, TX. I think your dollars will go further down there.

Give him a call it may be worth it to pay him to go check it out for you, I’m not sure if your trying to stick to a time line to get back north.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...t=27354&page=3

This is another shop or mobile mechanic that’s been mentioned he’s a hour away I think

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...read.php?t=715

Get your service done before you hit the road if it’s been sitting.

Get your tires done to it’s a long drive back to NY and when your in between city’s service can be hard if not impossible.

You may want to spend the money to get at regeared you can read about that, 55mph whoa.