Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 11-04-2019

Same as FC, that's why 8.92s eat rear gears.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Same as FC, that's why 8.92s eat rear gears.
Yep, way too much torque! I treat mine like I am stroking a baby's a**. Very gently. I never get off of grass onto something solid with my foot on the peddle. A recipe for disaster. I try to time it so that I am coasting about the time the drives hit the asphalt and I just coast onto the asphalt, then "gently" accelerate. I have read too many threads about replacing the "punkin'." What the he** am I talking about. I going on my second engine in two years!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 11-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Yep, way too much torque! I treat mine like I am stroking a baby's a**. Very gently. I never get off of grass onto something solid with my foot on the peddle. A recipe for disaster. I try to time it so that I am coasting about the time the drives hit the asphalt and I just coast onto the asphalt, then "gently" accelerate. I have read too many threads about replacing the "punkin'." What the he** am I talking about. I going on my second engine in two years!!!!!!!!!!!!
What
Not again...................
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 11-05-2019

I mash the pedal to the floor in sand, gravel, and wet grass without exception. I don't think it would spin a wheel unless it was in the air. With an 8V the torques would be so massive I would probably need to swap the tag for another drive axle just to keep it under control!
Old 11-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I mash the pedal to the floor in sand, gravel, and wet grass without exception. I don't think it would spin a wheel unless it was in the air. With an 8V the torques would be so massive I would probably need to swap the tag for another drive axle just to keep it under control!
I wonder what injectors you have and what the hp rating was for your year. Mine pulls away great and I think the power is pretty good. Compared to my MCI the bird is a rocket ship. The MCI was built for longevity though. Could just be the fuel control device, not sure what they used on your year, but on the way to pine mountain, a couple times I barely could pull away from a stop light because of the fuel modulator setting. Now that I backed it off it’s good again.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 11-05-2019

I thought I had a modulator, but I pulled the valve covers and there isn't one. It goes good once the boost comes on, it just peters out at the high speed. 5-35mph is actually not bad at all.
Old 11-05-2019

Quote:
I thought I had a modulator, but I pulled the valve covers and there isn't one. It goes good once the boost comes on, it just peters out at the high speed. 5-35mph is actually not bad at all.
When I get home tonight I will look at my Detroit manual, there are 3 different type fuel limiting devices shown in my manual, the modulator is on the curb side of the engine the other ones are located on the road side of the engine. I will see if I can get a snap shot and upload it.
Sounds like typical Detroit 2 stroke power. I have to get a run on the hills and get my boost up close to 20 to have a chance of not dropping more than 5 mph while climbing. I usually have to get going about 70 to get the boost up to 20. And it only lasts for a short climb, we are not talking about 6 or 7 percent grades here. Those I do not even try. I just get in the right lane and let it downshiftt till it’s happy.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 11-05-2019

Quote:
I have spun my tires in the driveway when dirt had gotten under the drive wheels. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on the first time. After reading the broken rear end threads I pay attention now.

Mine is the same. Up to about 35 or so it does well. I don't feel bad driving through the city and hitting stop lights. It keeps up with that traffic pretty well. After that it can get frustrating if I don't pay attention to the hills coming up...

I really feel like if I had a extra gear between 4th and 5th it'd would make a huge difference on the hills. If I keep the RPM's up on the hills it doesn't do bad at all.