Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 11-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
Early 1990 was still LP. Late 1990 was the first Primus. That one year, not the whole decade...
Sorry Chip I misread it. I should have known better that you would have known better

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 11-28-2019
Twiisted71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Checkout an M380, lots of headroom!
I thought these would be out of my price range and I don't want any slides however.....

What is the difference other than the engine/trans on these vs BMC 37s? Build quality/components?

Everyone keeps claiming the BMC is just like "real" wanderlodges just on a different chassis. I'm not degrading the BMCs, it just looks as though they are built to resemble more modern travel trailers inside. I'm more of a country house den person when it comes to my preference in wood finishes and flooring. I like dark wood cabinetry and tile or hardwood floors over fewsha (pink) carpet and white formica covered walls and cabinets. I worked too many years in ICUs and ERs i suppose, but I am instantly turned off by sterile looking decor. Everyone has their own preferences, these are just mine so please don't take offense if yours is different. I know I could change the interior fabric/vinyl color and have carpet removed or changed, but that is a lot of work and while I've painted door panels and dashes and seats in vehicles before it doesn't holdup like the initial dye used at the maker, and it never looks as good as an original dye job in preferred color.
Every generation oohs and aahs at their decorating trends as they are happening, be it psychedelic colors and shag carpet from 60s-70s, brass and smoked glass and lots of hot pink or seafoam green from '80s, or stark white and mirrors from the '90s. What grabs nearly everyone's attention and praise and sells second hand at the highest prices though? Rich classic looking polished dark wood cabinetry and paneling, hardwood or stone based tile floors, luxurious but subtle furniture, and clean understatedly elegant exterior paintwork. This could just be my prejudice making it appear this way to me! You know how it always seems that what you want costs more than other stuff and its never as abundantly available as the things you don't want. (I must admit that I'm drawn to some of the older BB paint schemes with all the body lines accented with contrasting paint).
I vehicle shop like some women shop for shoes. I want to see everything available and then make my decision -typically one of the first ones I checked out as they are what grabbed my atttention first, but I don't want to make a mistake and buy early and miss out on something that I'd have been infinitely happier with if I'd just shopped a little more and not impulse purchased.
Old 11-28-2019
Twiisted71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
If you are looking at old co nversions be cautious. If it was not converted in a factory like Marathon or Liberty you are buying an unknown. Bluebirds are not conversions. They were built in a real factory by real techs. Not some backyarder.
LOL I hear you loud and clear! I always laugh when I see "built by master craftsman over a period of 4 years" or some such BS. Its almost always obvious someone on a shoestring budget with marginal (being generous here) skills cobbled something together that has most of the functional capabilities of a motorhome. I.E. a sink that water can be ran through into a receptacle below (this could be a bucket, 55 gallon drum or a dish pan). It will have a refridgerator (may be a 3 way RV unit or a huge double door 110v only contraption that Aunt Polly kept in the barn because it wouldn't get cold enough for the freezer to work, but it works just fine for beer and bologna), and some where to sleep (real bed mattress a normal person can fit on an be comfortable or a couple of surplus army cots and itchy wool blankets from WWI).
I don't want to be King Midas rolling into the campground, nor do I want to be Cousin Eddie!
Old 11-28-2019

Are 1985-86 FC35's on your radar screen?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-28-2019
Twiisted71

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaidy View Post
I'm a tad south of atlanta. If you come through here you can take a look at our 83 PT35.
I'm of the opinion the mechanicals are more important than cosmetics.
Thanks Arcaidy, very nice of you to offer. I'll PM you.

I need the mechanicals to be ready to go on this one as it'll have to make the trip home. I'm reasonable about cosmetics ,(I think), in that I don't expect it to tick all my boxes. The problem arises when a rig doesn't just not tick my "want" boxes, it actually ticks nearly ALL of my absolutely no way in ******* restrictions!
Old 11-28-2019
Twiisted71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Are 1985-86 FC35's on your radar screen?
If it were to be used as an RV definitely, I'd turn it into a hot rod that could go anywhere. Unfortunately this is going to have to be "home" for 5 days a week for my wife and I and 3 dogs so were trying to stay close to 40', am considering the 37 widebody BMC (haven't made it to see one of those yet). We'll be keeping our house for the time being so we can have a roomy oasis to decompress on the weekends until we decide to buy another wherever we choose as our next longer term location. I know this unsettled lifestyle seems absurd to some, I however get restless in one place too long. Perhaps I'm part Gypsy. (I like belly dancers too!)
Old 11-28-2019
Forum owner

I'm going to start building used buses next year.
Any engine,any drivetrain,any color!
Used,30 year old buses,built to order!!
And for less than $40,000 each too!!

Where are those smiley faces when you need one?
The real thing that narrows down what bus you buy is your check book.
Its true for all of us,whether you have 10k to spend or 100k.
Theres only so many birds for sale at any given moment in time.

You can pick color.
You can pick condition.
You can pick the closest one to you.

My bus for example,i changed both couchs for 2 chairs and 2 desks,i changed the dinette to a buffet,i changed the flooring.
Perfect buses do not exist for me,my needs are different than your needs.
Buy the best bus you can buy with the money you have to spend,and change what does not suit you.
Be it color,couchs or toilet.
How many of you have bought a new home and changed the colors first thing?
I bet most of you!!

Twisted,you cut up a jeep to make it longer,taller and who knows what all,why didn't you buy the perfect jeep instead?

(where are those smiley faces?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qnt5rTCoo

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-28-2019
Twiisted71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Theres only so many birds for sale at any given moment in time.

You can pick color.
You can pick condition.
You can pick the closest one to you.
And as you said, "YOUR" price range, not the coach's price.

How many of you have bought a new home and changed the colors first thing?
I bet most of you!!

Twisted,you cut up a jeep to make it longer,taller and who knows what all,why didn't you buy the perfect jeep instead?
Oh I'm a big modifier. My view point on this vehicle is there are loads of them out there and in a myriad of configurations. I'm looking to find one that most closely matches what we want/need as it'll have to be moved into almost immediately, I won't have the luxury of dismantling it and taking a couple of months to figure everything out and remake it faster, stronger, bigger, better, and prettier. As is my normal MO with vehicles. This one is going to be more like a company furnished apartment but I have a host of them to choose from, but as soon as I choose I gotta move in and start working.
I don't want it to be like when Elwood brings Jake home to his apartment and the Ell goes by shaking everything off the walls. Jake asks "How often does the train go by?" Elwood replies "So often you won't even notice it!".
I don't want to pick something with a feature I absolutely don't like, and then just have to tell myself everyday, "You'll get used to it". Remember unlike some who may only be around it and using it a couple weeks out of the year, we'll be "dealing" with it daily.

Speaking of toilets....what's the deal wiith microphor toilets? All my toilets have been gravity powered. What makes them so undesirable?

PS When you get up and running in your bus building plant, put me on your list! My specs won't be difficult at all, and I'll pay cash! You can even pick the fuel filler cap if it'll cut your costs and increase profit margins!

Last edited by twiisted71; 11-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2019
AKA Tent Boy

Twiisted,
As far as BMC's go as to what your looking for, here are a few not great picture quality of our BMC;

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
I thought these would be out of my price range and I don't want any slides however.....

What is the difference other than the engine/trans on these vs BMC 37s? Build quality/components?

Everyone keeps claiming the BMC is just like "real" wanderlodges just on a different chassis. I'm not degrading the BMCs, it just looks as though they are built to resemble more modern travel trailers inside. I'm more of a country house den person when it comes to my preference in wood finishes and flooring. I like dark wood cabinetry and tile or hardwood floors over fewsha (pink) carpet and white formica covered walls and cabinets.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMC-4 wog 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	65316   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMC-4-wog 2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	65317   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMC-7 4 wog.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	65318  

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 11-28-2019
Twiisted71

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=sailor7cs;470970]Twiisted,
As far as BMC's go as to what your looking for, here are a few not great picture quality of our BMC;

ohhh my, now that's what I'm talking about! I like that A LOT!

I've seen a couple of other bus brands with what they call Southwest or Western design that are similar to yours. Problem for us is they were in the SW or West Coast. After living in Miami, Homestead, Key Largo and Cape Coral (SW FL) for years you begin to see definite trends that the snowbirds who come to that area cause. Chief among them from a design stand point is to try to make everything as bright and airy as possible and if you can throw in a bushel of "tropical" vibe so much the better. It seems like they try to outdo each other in making their floor look like sugar sand, upholster everything possible in Hawaiian flowered shirt looking fabric, and scatter around palm tree and flamingo doo-dads. What has developed as a problem for me is RV builders have embraced this trend to market to this HUGE crowd of folks with disposable income.
SAilor 7Cs RV is what I call the anti-tropical theme...perfect for me!!