Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-13-2008
Complete Greenhorn

Default Newb zone- 1980 FC33 not charging start battery

Just picked up my new bus to bring it for inspection. The seller had a charger hooked up when I first looked at it initially and it was already started and running when I arrived today (yes, I was a bit suspicious).

I bit dazzled by all the dash stuff, I did not notice until partway home that the voltmeter was at 12 and the ammeter was at zero. Volts gradually drifted towards 10-11 by the time I got her parked, and the solenoid just clicks when trying to restart.

I haven't even taken the engine cover off yet, but I expect a charging system defect of some variety. I can deal with that but wanted to see if there is some switch or obvious newbie thing I may be overlooking.
Old 06-14-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel View Post
Just picked up my new bus to bring it for inspection. The seller had a charger hooked up when I first looked at it initially and it was already started and running when I arrived today (yes, I was a bit suspicious).

I bit dazzled by all the dash stuff, I did not notice until partway home that the voltmeter was at 12 and the ammeter was at zero. Volts gradually drifted towards 10-11 by the time I got her parked, and the solenoid just clicks when trying to restart.

I haven't even taken the engine cover off yet, but I expect a charging system defect of some variety. I can deal with that but wanted to see if there is some switch or obvious newbie thing I may be overlooking.
Before you go to replacing things do some preliminary checks. Check for loose or worn belts, check the battery cables both the positives connections and the negatives grounds as well as the ground at the starter, remove and clean all of those connections. Look up on the frame near the starter for a Ford style solenoid and clean those wire connections also. Check the battery wire connection on the back of the alternator, th same as all of the previous wires. Your 'Bird may have a Battery isolator, if you can find that, check the connections there too.

If your 'Bird is so equipped does the Axillary Battery switch have any effect when you engage it while you try to start, look on the dash for that.

Check the electrolyte level in the batteries and if they are low fill them with distilled water to make sure that the top of the plates are covered, then charge the batteries again to a full charge and load test them.

I would suspect that the 'bird has been sitting for a while and the batteries were not maintained properly, or they have just met their maximum potential and are ready to be replaced and /or the alternator may need to be replaced.

Check out the Electrical and FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) sub-forums for additional topics that may help you also.

Good luck.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-14-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I have moved this thread to theElectrical sub-forum.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-14-2008

I did not get the full discription of your coach however...since this coach is new to you I would pull all the batteries when convenient and check each one individually (load test) and if you have a hydrometer also check the specific gravity looking for dead cells. Also check battery cables and connections. Bad batteries can cause your alternator to fail...and battery maintenance will be an ongoing operation as long as you own the Wanderlodge. Even if you are new to electrical fixes you must get up to speed on the starting and charging systems.

This forum and a couple of others will be your friend when performing the fixes on your bird...just include as much information as you can when asking questions. Folks on this forum have an wide range of capabilities and are here to help you...just continue to ask questions until you find the answer.

Oh, and use the search function and read and study everything post pertaining to your vintage bird.

Glad to hear about your new purchase, welcome to the forum and hope you find many friends here.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 06-16-2008
Complete Greenhorn

Had a couple of guys from the forum come and give me a hand. No simple "Just throw this switch" answer. Batteries are OK, cables are now clean but shot, needs new alternator. Drove her from my office home aftercharging the batteries no problem.

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man