Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-26-2008
jcoop0001

Default Where to hook up external air for leak detection

Hello,

Hope this is the correct place.

I am going to have a ton of questions for you guys,

A week after purchase I finally got my bird home and in the nest.

Feel like I have a bunch of leaks to fix and I know trying to chase them down with the engine running will be next to impossible. I have air at my shop and want to hook it up so I can start tracing the leaks.

I have seen one connection in one of the bays on the drivers side and I think one by the Racor filter on the passengers side.

Unfortunatly I do not have any manuals or any history with the coach.
About the only think I know about it is that it has 58,000 miles on it and the owners daughter lived in it for about 6 years.

Got a ton to learn and looking forward to it.

I fix things for a living and a handyman on the side so I feel I have the skills for most anything that comes up, but I know I have a ton to learn also.

Thanks for any help or advise.
Old 10-26-2008
Gardner

John,
The one in the compartment on the dirvers side will work fine. The one by the racor filter is likley in the Propane line and can be used to supply a gas grill. Don't hook the air up to the propane connector.

If you are going under the coach, which you will when looking for air leaks, support the coach chassis with properly rated jack stands. Also I notice you are on a gravel driveway, so you will need to be certain the stands will not just sink into the ground under the coach weight. DO NOT use the levelers alone, they have no safety mechanism and could drop the coach unexpectedly. We have lost forum members in the past due to the coach falling on them. Don't rely on anything that is not right for the task of supporting the coach.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-26-2008
Administrator

Hi John,

Please read these postings for working safely under the coach

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...working+safely

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UNoESZY...Your%20Bus.pdf
Old 10-26-2008
Forum Moderator

John you'll get the hang of where to post so don't worry about it. If it needs to be moved we'll move it and let you know where it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop0001 View Post
Hello,

Hope this is the correct place.

I am going to have a ton of questions for you guys,

A week after purchase I finally got my bird home and in the nest.

Feel like I have a bunch of leaks to fix and I know trying to chase them down with the engine running will be next to impossible. I have air at my shop and want to hook it up so I can start tracing the leaks.

I have seen one connection in one of the bays on the drivers side and I think one by the Racor filter on the passengers side.

Unfortunatly I do not have any manuals or any history with the coach.
About the only think I know about it is that it has 58,000 miles on it and the owners daughter lived in it for about 6 years.

Got a ton to learn and looking forward to it.

I fix things for a living and a handyman on the side so I feel I have the skills for most anything that comes up, but I know I have a ton to learn also.

Thanks for any help or advise.
Old 10-26-2008
jcoop0001

Bill, I have read both of those post a couple times so far. I know that I will need to read them a few more times to make sure I have a "FULL UNDERSTANDING" of them.

My gravel is really crushed concrete on top of Decomposed Granite. While it is very hard I know that it can be a mess when it's wet. I have a 1500lb welding table that sank 6" in the ground when it was wet.

I am hoping that a cover and concrete floor is in the budget before the end of the year. I have the steel for the cover, but will have to farm out the concrete work.

My plan for supporting the bus at the moment is this.

Jacks down "only as a backup"
frame supported by 6" x 12" x 20" wood blocks laying flat
12 ton Jackstand on frame also

I need to adjust the ride height and look for leaks.

I am considering raising one end at a time with the other chocked on both wheels.

Please let me know the wisdom of my plan

Thanks
Old 10-26-2008
Forum Moderator

John I heard of a fellow who does all the right things when working under heavy equipment. He uses the proper cribbing, chalks the wheels etc etc. However, he still drags a spare wheel next to himself as he moves around under the equipment. His rationale......"the wheel will never crush and is thicker than me'
Old 10-26-2008
jcoop0001

Rob,

thats a great thought, I do have a couple of "stools" that are made from 2in square tube that would support several thousand pounds. I may have to drag them allong with me.

thx
Old 10-26-2008
Gardner

John,
I have a complete set of drawings and bluebooks for the '83. I think Tom Warner has everything on CD also. When I have some time I can make copies of the drawings at Kinko's (these are full size drawings). I will let you know what that will cost, I made copies in the spring from drawings Shane Fideli had. I forgot what it cost, but it was well worth it.

P.S.
That bird weighs close to 32,000 pounds. I wouldn't expect the stool to help.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-29-2008
jcoop0001

Ok.,

Got air hooked up to the connection in the first bay aft of the drivers seat.
It is labeled "air"

When I hook it up I get no pressure readings in either tank, What am I missing?

Ran the coach for about 15 min this afternoon and air came up ok. when I shut it down I did hear a pretty good leak that was coming from the area where the forward tanks are.
Thought I could hook up my air line and duplicat the leak,,,,,, no good.

I see there is a connection near the tanks and I will try that one next.

Want to replace the drain petcocks with the pull cable kind while I am under there too.
Old 10-29-2008
Gardner

John,
I don't know why it isn't working, but who knows what changes may have been made by previous owners.

The Lanyard drains are a good thing. My caoch has a huge air drier and I have yet to get a drop of water from the tanks. On my previous 1978 caoch it took most of the day for the glop to drain out the first time I emptied it. I doubt if anyone drained them for years and years.

The air system has pressure protection valves between the air system and acessory loads which cut out at 65 or 70 pounds to leave enough air for braking should a leak develop.
Ridgewood, New Jersey