Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-03-2014

Unhappy Cat mech shop freaked out by copper air lines

When idling at 5 mph through the park at a slight down grade i have to ride the brake. it lasts about 100 yards before the spring brake kicks in, then i have to high idle it back. brought it to cat truck shop here. They said there is a likely leak in some regulator or something but it was not enough to account for how long it takes to air up or how quickly the pressure goes down when braking so they are looking for some other more serious culprit. They did not really want to disconnect anything for the smaller leak because they were afraid it might have a problem resealing with the copper. I dont know, I had no problem reattaching the line when i replaced the airbag. They also expressed concern about their ability to find a new regulator. Hopefully they will find and fix the bigger issue and ill have them show me where the smaller leak is and i will deal with that myself. There is a rv shop about 30 miles from here that claims to work on bluebirds. Prolly shoulda gone there. I figured the chassis stuff was pretty standard. I told them about putting some mystery oil in the line, then cycling it... They said "huh?"

Last edited by chuck1933; 04-03-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Old 04-03-2014
Forum owner

you need another shop.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-03-2014

Chuck, have the shop air up the coach using 'shop air' and you may be able to hear one or more air leaks. With the rear engine hatch open, you will see a Schrader valve for airing up the coach from an external source.

Sounds like this shop is not going to get the job done.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
you need another shop.
Absolutely. Ill probably pay them for the diagnosis, then take off.
Old 04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
Chuck, have the shop air up the coach using 'shop air' and you may be able to hear one or more air leaks. With the rear engine hatch open, you will see a Schrader valve for airing up the coach from an external source.

Sounds like this shop is not going to get the job done.
Yeah, you always hope you can just throw some money at it, but no such luck.
Old 04-03-2014

Chuck, None of the air system is special when dealing with the chassis. Parts is parts. If they go on a truck or a bus its the same part. The problem is your shop. They want to jerk you around and make this sound difficult when its not. Any brake system part on that coach is readily available at the local Class 8 truck parts house and they should know it. As to sealing copper that also not a problem.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-03-2014
Black Sheep Division

What Randy (and the rest) said!

TOM
Old 04-03-2014
RV Appraiser

I ain’t paying your bill and no one else on the forum is either but I would not take my coach just to any diesel shop, if it’s a Cat engine it would go to the Cat House and if a Detroit it would go to the Detroit shop. There are mechanics that know their business and can pretty much make their way around on any diesel, but for most part in today’s market place they are all gone. The same adage holds true for parts houses as well. If they can't find it on the computer, or know the CAR it goes on for most part that young kid behind the counter is lost.
Some franchise name stores like Peterbilt, and other brand name truck shops may have mechanics that might be able to muddle their way through a job but again will they get it right the first time or are you paying for them to learn on your equipment. I had one idiot who wanted to bill me over 40 hours on an 8 hour job, because he wanted me to pay for his inexperience, the job got done twice on their dime and not mine. I had even given them the part numbers that was needed to do the job. I agree with Randy if you think professional experience is expensive wait until you pay for the cheap **** a couple times then you will know the difference.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Chuck, None of the air system is special when dealing with the chassis. Parts is parts. If they go on a truck or a bus its the same part. The problem is your shop. They want to jerk you around and make this sound difficult when its not. Any brake system part on that coach is readily available at the local Class 8 truck parts house and they should know it. As to sealing copper that also not a problem.
Ya know what? You are correct. I am going to tell them, " you don't think you can find the part? Guess what, i am a graphic artist and I can find it!" Like i said to Randy, i will pay the diagnostic fee and hit the road.
Old 04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
I ain’t paying your bill and no one else on the forum is either but I would not take my coach just to any diesel shop, if it’s a Cat engine it would go to the Cat House and if a Detroit it would go to the Detroit shop. There are mechanics that know their business and can pretty much make their way around on any diesel, but for most part in today’s market place they are all gone. The same adage holds true for parts houses as well. If they can't find it on the computer, or know the CAR it goes on for most part that young kid behind the counter is lost.
Some franchise name stores like Peterbilt, and other brand name truck shops may have mechanics that might be able to muddle their way through a job but again will they get it right the first time or are you paying for them to learn on your equipment. I had one idiot who wanted to bill me over 40 hours on an 8 hour job, because he wanted me to pay for his inexperience, the job got done twice on their dime and not mine. I had even given them the part numbers that was needed to do the job. I agree with Randy if you think professional experience is expensive wait until you pay for the cheap **** a couple times then you will know the difference.
Hahahahahahahahaa! Point taken.