Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 09-18-2015

Default SPAP! VW BUSTED!

Just watched the evening news
BIG BROTHER is after VW & AUDI for the TDI diesel cars back to '09
ALL of THEM Jetta Passat Beetle Golf A3
For being able to pass smog inspection but while running on the road are polluting at 40 times the legal limit.
Normally I would not bother poting this but I just bought a TDI Jetta Premium last week. I was a very happy camper
I've had bad luck with cars this year but this is ridiclious
Old 09-18-2015

Not polluting at 40 times, at UP TO 40 times! Might mean that most of the time might be OK, or just slightly over allowed level. And only at rare times approach the 40X level.

I took a fast trip a couple weeks ago with our Jetta TDI to get parts. 800 miles one day. Interstate. Set cruise at 82. Averaged 38.9 miles per gallon! Now, if it gets reset, will probably average 28.9 mpg for the same trip! And EPA will tell me how great that is!

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 09-18-2015

Oh, how I wish I hadn't sold my '04 Jetta TDI to Stephen Birtles. He caught me in a weak moment. Beats the '14 CRV hands down.
Old 09-18-2015

EPA just gotta point a finger at somebody to get themselves out of the spotlight for the Animas River deal in CO. I wouldn't trust those fools to know anything.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 09-19-2015

I have a 15 Jetta TDI and I love it. Average 40 to 42 around town. I know if the EPA messes with it I am going do all I can to make VW buy it back. I only have 13k on it. I don't know about everyone else, but I am sick and tired of the EPA.
"Grandpa's Bus"
1985 PT40
bsteckert@comcast.net
Old 09-19-2015
Goat rails in the sunset

Jane just bought a 2013 TDI Jetta, it is one great car!

The problem is that VW is pushing out a firmware re-flash suposed to fix am engine warning light problem.

TDI owners on TDI websites are reporting that the re-flash reduces their mileage by anywhere from 10 - 25%.

The reflash is not an official VW recall. But the concern is that some states will not do the annual registration of TDI vehicles that haven't had the re-flash. California supposedly won't. Meanwhile, other states/counties don't require diesel to pass emissions.

I gather that the warning light problem isn't common.

I made a dealership appointment for next week to get extra keyless fobs programmed, and they had to schedule me in for a two-hour slot because they want to do the re-flash at the same time. Thanks all the same, but I am going to put this re-flash off.

People who have aftermarket TDI engine management firmware, like 'Malone" will experience terrible results if the dealership does this update on their firmware!

BTW, not all VW diesels are the target. If you use exhaust fluid in a 6-cyl diesel, I don't thing it applies to you. It is the 4-cyl diesels.
Full-time in 2019
Old 09-19-2015

The epa would like us to believe a car getting 28mpg pollutes less than a car getting 50 mpg . Now granted the 25mpg car may pollute less per gallon consumed , but when you have to use twice the amount of fuel nothing is gained except adding money to the fuel industries pocket .
Epa hates Birds , fuel stations love us .

Simple Redneck Economics....lol.
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 09-19-2015

Default TDI

Several years ago FOMOCO did this on the 7.3 diesels. Offered a free oil change and those that got sucked in saw dramatically lower fuel mileage. They never told the owners they were going to reflash the ECM for them along with the "free" oil change. My opinion of the EPA wouldn't make it past the moderators.
I have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI. Best car I ever owned. Average mpg about 43+ so far for the life of the car. I have gotten 60 mpg driving at 55 mph using the cruise control.
The EPA has always had it in for diesel powered cars. The emission standards get changed each time the cars get efficient and yield good numbers so the price of a car goes up to pay for more engineering costs. Even with the higher cost of diesel, I am still way ahead of the bubble compared to a gas powered car.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 09-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday1 View Post
Several years ago FOMOCO did this on the 7.3 diesels. Offered a free oil change and those that got sucked in saw dramatically lower fuel mileage. They never told the owners they were going to reflash the ECM for them along with the "free" oil change. My opinion of the EPA wouldn't make it past the moderators.
I have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI. Best car I ever owned. Average mpg about 43+ so far for the life of the car. I have gotten 60 mpg driving at 55 mph using the cruise control.
The EPA has always had it in for diesel powered cars. The emission standards get changed each time the cars get efficient and yield good numbers so the price of a car goes up to pay for more engineering costs. Even with the higher cost of diesel, I am still way ahead of the bubble compared to a gas powered car.

Rick in Ohio
That probably why my 2001 cc dually only gets 12.5 mpg and everyone else's trucks get 17 or 18
Snap! Is there a fix???
Old 09-19-2015

Just a thought
It doesn'take sense that a car that gets this kind of mileage is a big polluter!
There are 100 times the diesel cars in Europe and their standards are just as if not tighter than ours.
In Belgium I would guess 50% of new car sales are diesels every car company there make them. Something's fishy that's certain